DT Latu Heimuli

Husker_Power

ESPN reports:

Heimuli enjoys his time in Boulder

Defensive lineman Latu Heimuli (Salt Lake City, Utah./Highland) took his fourth official visit last weekend to Colorado. The standout tackle is still deciding between two schools for his last visit before he makes his decision.

Heimuli has previously visited Nebraska, Washington State and Arizona before checking out the Buffs.

"I had a lot of fun there," Heimuli said. "It was a really good visit for me and I enjoyed every minute there. The coaches were great and the players are a very tight knit group and made me feel like part of the team.

"The game atmosphere was pretty good and the fan support was good as well. Nebraska was pretty rowdy but the fans at Colorado and the overall atmosphere there was just as good."

Heimuli said he plans to take his final trip and is trying to decide between the Pac 10 and SEC for his final visit.

"It's between Oregon State or Florida for that last trip," Heimuli said. "I'm still looking at UCLA a little too but I might just take an unofficial visit there although I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit it in."

I wonder if the head coach mentioned if they lost that game he'd be fired.

I can't believe he mentioned NU fans in the same sentence as sCUm fans. calling NU fans rowdy? I believe the correct term is enthusiastic or welcoming!

Well a beatdown of CU in Lincoln might be the convincing factor. If NU beats CU handily, as I think they will, then much as the same way Gabe Lynn was lost during the OU-NU game, you would think NU goes into the lead.

He's visiting Florida this weekend

That always gets me when schools like Florida and USC recruit nationwide after picking whoever they want in their own respective states. Like that isn't enough? At least Texas stays in state somewhat.

I forget which network was running it, but there was story making the point that USC's ridiculously good recruiting is killing it in the BCS rankings because they are stock-piling guys that might have been starters at schools like Washington or Arizona. The end result is the Pac 10 is terrible and even a win against one of those crummy teams drops USC's BCS rating. Interesting theory, anyway.

He's visiting Florida this weekend

That always gets me when schools like Florida and USC recruit nationwide after picking whoever they want in their own respective states. Like that isn't enough? At least Texas stays in state somewhat.

I forget which network was running it, but there was story making the point that USC's ridiculously good recruiting is killing it in the BCS rankings because they are stock-piling guys that might have been starters at schools like Washington or Arizona. The end result is the Pac 10 is terrible and even a win against one of those crummy teams drops USC's BCS rating. Interesting theory, anyway.

I don't remember if it was on ESPN or not, but they were talking about the effect Lane Kiffin had on recruiting at USC. Pete Carrol used to be like Mack Brown and be content with what he could pull within CA and the immediate area. Lane was the one who pushed Pete to save a handful of slots for the best players available nationwide.

Visit this weekend TBD, but his top five is: Arizona, Nebraska, Colorado, Florida, with the last spot between Oreg State and Cal.

Scheduled his fifth visit to Florida. He couldn't get in for a game, so will be visiting a practice.

From his words about the visit to Flo, I would think that if they want him he will do backflips...

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new from ESPN:

Heimuli sets final visit

Defensive lineman Latu Heimuli has already taken four official visits and was deciding among three schools for who would get his fifth and final trip.

Heimuli took October visits to Nebraska, Washington State and Arizona and checked out Colorado in November. He was looking at Florida, UCLA and Oregon State for his last visit and has decided to head South.

"I'm going to check out the Gators (Dec. 12)," Heimuli said. "They have a great program and have a chance to play for a national championship. I've never been to the South before so I'm looking forward to going there and checking things out.

"Right now, I'm totally open to everyone. Along with those schools I'm visiting, I like BYU too. I don't need to visit there because it's local and I've been a number of times. I'm hoping to be able to make my decision around New Year's or Christmas."