Mendoza to WR

Several fans have brought up the point of Mendoza receiving more touches either at RB or WR and it looks like it is finally going to happen.

NU Grinds As OU Looms

In other news, redshirt freshman running back Marcus Mendoza continues to work with the receivers, Pelini said, in an effort to get him on the field. Mendoza, from Houston, only has five carries and two receptions this year, but he's generally considered one of the fastest, if not the fastest, player on the team.

NU may not have the services of its No. 3 receiver, junior Menelik Holt, for OU.

We just thought he was a guy who could add some speed to what we're doing, Pelini said. He can't handle the whole offense right now, but to his credit he's come a long way in a short amount of time.

Seriously, he's been here for 2 years, what's the deal with it taking so long to learn the offense? Is it that complicated, or is he a rock? It seems like it has taken way too long for any of the younger, talented players to learn the playbook, what's the deal?

Also, wonder if they'll try to get him some touches at RB? I know we have depth and a lot of grumblings about the rotating back system (I would personally like to see Helu get more carries) but will the addition of Mendoza to the offensive rotation free up Castille to maybe learn some LB? I know this has been mentioned on several other threads and I think it maybe worth it to try. Yes, Glenn has been a nice surprise so who's to say that Castille couldn't equal or surpass the success with more time to learn the system.

woot.

Mendoza Takes Snaps With Receivers

LINCOLN - Nebraska is trying a new way to use the speed of Marcus Mendoza on the field.

The redshirt freshman, behind three others on the depth chart at the I-back position, has spent some time at receiver during practice this week.

Officially, Mendoza's still a running back, coach Bo Pelini said. But Mendoza has picked things up quickly when he's taken reps with the receivers.

"When you're out there at the wide receiver position, you're going to be in space a little bit," Pelini said. "We thought he was a guy that could add some speed to what we're doing. We'll see. He can't handle the whole offense right now, but to his credit, he's come a long way in a short amount of time."

Mendoza didn't play against Baylor, but he did catch a pass for 7 yards against Iowa State a week earlier.

Several fans have brought up the point of Mendoza receiving more touches either at RB or WR and it looks like it is finally going to happen.

NU Grinds As OU Looms

In other news, redshirt freshman running back Marcus Mendoza continues to work with the receivers, Pelini said, in an effort to get him on the field. Mendoza, from Houston, only has five carries and two receptions this year, but he's generally considered one of the fastest, if not the fastest, player on the team.

NU may not have the services of its No. 3 receiver, junior Menelik Holt, for OU.

We just thought he was a guy who could add some speed to what we're doing, Pelini said. He can't handle the whole offense right now, but to his credit he's come a long way in a short amount of time.

Seriously, he's been here for 2 years, what's the deal with it taking so long to learn the offense? Is it that complicated, or is he a rock? It seems like it has taken way too long for any of the younger, talented players to learn the playbook, what's the deal?

Also, wonder if they'll try to get him some touches at RB? I know we have depth and a lot of grumblings about the rotating back system (I would personally like to see Helu get more carries) but will the addition of Mendoza to the offensive rotation free up Castille to maybe learn some LB? I know this has been mentioned on several other threads and I think it maybe worth it to try. Yes, Glenn has been a nice surprise so who's to say that Castille couldn't equal or surpass the success with more time to learn the system.

I think he is talking about learning the ofense at wide reciever, not running back. Plus, some of that stuff can get confusing.

NU Grinds As OU Looms

I think he is talking about learning the ofense at wide reciever, not running back. Plus, some of that stuff can get confusing.

Yeah I am pretty sure Bo was talking about having to learn a new position over the past few weeks.

We've already seen several positive differences between the previous coaching staff and the current one, and finding different ways to use our talent is one of those positive changes.

At least Bo's staff seems to try and get the talented players on the field, rather than wasting them like BC did.

Gillyan has hands of stone. He had 2 recently that hit him in the hands then the chest, then face mask and onto the ground. Unless he can figure out how to catch a ball in a game time situation Ganz wont throw to him. I've at least seen Paul catch a ball so far this season, can't say as much for Gillyan.

Mendoza could bring quite a different look if he burns a few secondaries. I think it's a good move and I believe he'll do us all proud.