Tennessee to hire Callahan

This would be interesting. I just don't see BC as a good fit in college. If he over complicates his offense like he did here then this is not going to work. I don't think his complicated offense is going to play too well against the SEC defenses. I think he should just stay in the NFL where he belongs. This thing at Tenn really has the potential to blow up on them.

I don't see why it's such a bad hire if it is in fact true. Last time I checked, Callahan had a pretty good offense when he was the coach here. I think some here seem to have short memories!

Really? I seem to remember in 05, we put 18 offensive points on Maine. Then, the next week, we put 10 offensive points on Wake Forest. The week after that, we put 7 points on Pittsburgh. The week after that, we put 13 on ISU in regulation (2 more touchdowns in OT).

Yeah, in 06 we put 50 on some people. Lousiana State, Nicholls State and a few others. Callys offense didnt do good against any top teams.

Bo's (?) offense put 28 on Oklahoma. 45 on Kansas. And for those of you who say Kansas isn't all that great.... In 05, we put a whole 15 on Kansas. In 06, with OT, we put a whole 39 on em. We put 39 on em last year too. The most points a Cally NU team put up in a year was 401. Bo's boys so far have put up 434, in the same number of games. Keep in mind, 401 is the most of any Cally year. This is Bo's first year.

I really dont see how you can make those comparisons.

Our 05 team still hada bucnh of run based offensive players on it and it was basically the beginning on what Callahan could do on offense. This year we have had 4 years of getting the correct personnel in to run his type of offense.

I guess I forgot about all those points we seemed to rack up against a porous Okie State D last year as well as an A&M D. We better not forget about that stellar 3 points he put up against OU in the Big 12 Championship game either. Our D was bad last year. However, it was made to look exceptionally bad by our offense because of some of the positions they left them. I really do hope Clownahan ends up at Tennessee. It will make me smile when a real offensive coach comes into town and smacks the volunteers in the mouth.

Callahan made this offense. And he's a beast at recruiting. This is by no means a bad hire - if chemistry and things like that pan out, which is something nobody can predict.

This year's offense is miles away from what Calllllllahan put in. This offense runs zone reads and looks more like the spread than the antiquated West Coast Offense of BC.

And for all the hullabaloo and kudos that Calllllllahan gets as a recruiter, NU is well below the top 4 in the South and Mizzou in terms of talent, right along side of Kansas. Contrary to what Scout and Rivals says, we don't have that much talent, and his recruiting capabilities were highly overblown. He may be a snake-oil salesman, but he can't evaluate talent on his own, or develop said talent once he gets it.

• 4 weeks later...

Or he might become the Jets HC or stay on as O-line coach/asst. coach. A lot of Jets players are lobbying for this. He is highly valued within the Jets organization from what I read. They are impressed particularly with his work on D'Brickashaw Ferguson. There's also one website suggesting he be promoted to OC, since he won't outthink himself like their current OC Schottenheimer. I don't know about that...but he would no doubt make a good OC.

(IMO, complaints of OCs "out-thinking" themselves are too easily made. It's based on those plays that, if it works, guy's a genius, if it doesn't, he was overthinking.)

I was told that Bill Callahan never made it to his car the day he got fired, he was rumored to have been picked up by some Husker school alumni and taken to the middle of a cornfield and never heard of again. Some say on cold nights you can hear his ghost moaning "Why? Why? Why couldn't i meet the expectations of the Husker Nation?!"