Mendoza and next years RB roation

bhunt7

Mendoza looked very impressive in the spring game. He also showed flashes of potential against CU. How does he not get any reps versus Clemson.

What's the RB rotation looking like for next year? Will it be all Helu and Castille or will another player be in the mix as well?

I think Helu will be the main back, but if Castille has gotten over his fumbleitis watch the hell out. Mendoza is pretty damn fast though and I would think he would get some reps as well next season. Maybe the same type of reps Castille got this season now that Lucky is going to be gone. I feel bad for Lucky since he didn't get to play much yesterday.

I feel bad for Lucky since he didn't get to play much yesterday.

I've been a big Helu-should-be-getting-most-of-the-carries-guy since about midway through 07, but I've also felt bad for Lucky most of this year. It's too bad he wasn't usually 100% and that he didn't get too many opportunities, because I think he could have done very well too. Still a good career, though.

Mendoza didn't get reps because of his inexperience and running power in the Gator Bowl. Helu couldn't get anything going because of his size, and Castille was the only back who seemed to do anything productive in the run game. You don't want to put another running back in when Castille is getting comfortable and making big plays. If Castille could get rid of his fumbilitis (which he did yesterday) I think he should be the premier back. He's got enormous size, strength, and speed. He would have had T.O. jumping like a small kid on Christmas back in the 90's.

Also, Mendoza hasn't really blown us away with his time on the field this year. He's no true Freshman like Ahman Green was. The coaches have talked more about using him at slot receiver due to his size because right now he's not a very formidable ball carrier.

Mendoza didn't get reps because of his inexperience and running power in the Gator Bowl. Helu couldn't get anything going because of his size, and Castille was the only back who seemed to do anything productive in the run game. You don't want to put another running back in when Castille is getting comfortable and making big plays. If Castille could get rid of his fumbilitis (which he did yesterday) I think he should be the premier back. He's got enormous size, strength, and speed. He would have had T.O. jumping like a small kid on Christmas back in the 90's.

Also, Mendoza hasn't really blown us away with his time on the field this year. He's no true Freshman like Ahman Green was. The coaches have talked more about using him at slot receiver due to his size because right now he's not a very formidable ball carrier.

He averaged almost 7 yards per carry and had some nice long runs a couple of times. I think he had a good year for a freshman and really deserved a few more reps. He does need to work on his pass protection though and get a little stronger IMO.

He averaged almost 7 yards per carry and had some nice long runs a couple of times. I think he had a good year for a freshman and really deserved a few more reps. He does need to work on his pass protection though and get a little stronger IMO.

How long before we elevate the talent level at I-back to the Roziers, Hipps, Redwines, Browns, Greens, Phillips and Jones type backs?

if Mendoza can bulk up another 10 lbs. and keep his speed, they will create some plays for him next season, at least we should see a bit more of him this year. the bulk of the running back work has already been assigned, a bruiser and a slasher.......Okafor?? who knows how soon he may contribute, either way, we are fine at that position for now.

How long before we elevate the talent level at I-back to the Roziers, Hipps, Redwines, Browns, Greens, Phillips and Jones type backs?

How many of those type backs are there across the country now? With the spread and zone option you don't see the prototypical I-back anymore. There a very few backs at that level, and even some of those backs were aided greatly by scheme and the threat of a great quarterback that took the pressure off them.

I think it will be years until we see the 25-30 carry a game I-back become a big part of the offense nationally again, and I don't think it will happen at NU as long as Watson remains the coordinator.

Why would the coaches take the ball away from Q yesterday? He was doing great...all year we have said stay will one running back...now one running back gets almost all the carries and does really well...and we want to give the ball to our 4th string running back?????

Lucky and Helu clearly weren't 100% yesterday, no reason Mendoza didn't get a couple of carries other than the coaches didn't feel comfortable with him on the field yesterday. Clemson's D was so agressive, that even though they were fast, I think in the 4th quarter a well timed screen or draw to Mendoza or Helu if he were dressed and healthy could have been a big play.

I think Helu will be the main back, but if Castille has gotten over his fumbleitis watch the hell out. Mendoza is pretty damn fast though and I would think he would get some reps as well next season. Maybe the same type of reps Castille got this season now that Lucky is going to be gone. I feel bad for Lucky since he didn't get to play much yesterday.

:yeah

Your spot on about Mendoza's speed, but its his quickness to react and hit top speed after second step is amazing to me.

GBR!!!