Should we have redshirted Helu and Q?

I'm really excited for what these guys will do for us in the next two years.

However, I feel their freshmen years were basically pointless, Q had 347 and Helu had 212. Fine, that's nice and all, but a redshirt year would've done wonders for these guys.

I feel they basically lost a year of eligibility because they played so minimal their freshmen years.

Fit the Billy C style.... many of his guys "burned" redshirts for very minimal play..... You could name probably 10 more players whom we would love to have back one more year from this year's team, or another year in the future..... He just didn't RS very intelligently...probably because he "promised" PT or something....wasn't thinking of what was best for the player...

I'm glad Helu and Q had game experience going into this year. Just imagine where our running game would have been without them, with the year Lucky had.

Obviously we will never know. I just don't think it would be fair to say that Lucky wouldn't have been able to respond to the challenge. That just puts everything into a whole new perspective. Watson and the rest of the staff was really good about changing the offense to utilize our strengths and he would have done the same in this case as well. JMO

I'm really excited for what these guys will do for us in the next two years.

However, I feel their freshmen years were basically pointless, Q had 347 and Helu had 212. Fine, that's nice and all, but a redshirt year would've done wonders for these guys.

I feel they basically lost a year of eligibility because they played so minimal their freshmen years.

I don't know about "WE" because we don't have a thing to do with it. bc burned more redshirts than those two guys.

I think the experience Helu and Q had, or at least Helu, helped a lot. Sometimes a redshirt does wonders, but sometimes confidence from the coaches in putting a true freshman on the field in crucial situations goes a long way, too. Additionally, if you redshirt them, who is behind Lucky at RB?

(I mean, really - who is behind Lucky?...Glenn had a variety of problems, and 2 RBs aren't enough.)

You know who lost a year of eligibility for pointless, minimal special teams play? Alfonzo Dennard. Please enough with the "Billy C" style. Paul/Lucky not redshirting were because Paul/Lucky really wanted to play. I think they've both since realized the error of their ways.

I'm glad Helu and Q had game experience going into this year. Just imagine where our running game would have been without them, with the year Lucky had.

Agreed. And its super nice having these guys coming in with plenty of experience with an inexperienced qb.

:yeah to both.

I wouldn't feel so comfortable next year if Q hadn't (hopefully) gotten over his fumbleitis.

Besides, it's not like they got 5 carries each. 200/300+ yards isn't chump change.

Plus, what if Helu has a couple of 2000 yard seasons? He'd might very well leave for the NFL, which means his redshirt year was for naught.

Plus+, we may get some stud next year who wouldn't come here if Helu and Q had an extra year left.

I'm not intending to thread jack a good discussion but Doc is facing the same decision with Diaz.

If Doc puts him in this afternoon it will be interesting to discuss this on the basketball board. Especially after we get to try and gauge his potential and impact on the bb team in the future.

however... i think the impact Diaz could potentially have would be greater than that of the impact either one of these RB's had... with how we played @ OU, a big man may help us make a run. The big 12 is obviously down this year, why can't we try n make a run in the tourney? (big 12 tourney that is)