SIGNED ATH Bronson Marsh

I'd like not to think so either, but this is a pretty WTF in my books still.

We've seen Osborne do the same with Kreik, and we've seen that some staff choices were strong recommendations rather than Bo's own guys. Candidates who wanted to bring their own entire staff (Grobe), weren't looked at, if I recall. Couple that with TO's strong public endorsements of Marsh, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was a lot of recommendation in this instance.

Shrug. We'll see how this turns out. Regardless of who wanted it, Bo or TO or both, it's something that likely would not have been if Bronson weren't from Nebraska. Hence my pessimism, though maybe I'm letting it go a little far.

Here were the safeties from last year:

3 O'Hanlon, Matt S 5-11 200 Sr. Bellevue, Neb. (Bellevue East)

04 Asante, Larry S 6-01 215 Sr. Alexandria, Va. (Coffeyville Community College) (Hayfield)

43 Moravec, Brent S 6-00 185 RFr. Grand Island, Neb. (Central Catholic)

32 Ebke, Jim S 6-00 210 So. Lincoln, Neb. (South Dakota State) (East)

13 Smith, P.J. S 6-02 210 RFr. River Ridge, La. (John Curtis)

28 Hagg, Eric S 6-02 205 Jr. Peoria, Ariz. (Ironwood)

29 Jameson, Seth S 6-01 180 Fr. Southlake, Texas (Southlake Carroll)

12 Osborne, Courtney S 6-03 195 RFr. Garland, Texas (South Garland)

03 Thenarse, Rickey S 6-00 205 Sr. Los Angeles, Calif. (Jordan)

08 Cassidy, Austin S 6-01 210 So. Lincoln, Neb. (Southwest)

That breaks down for 2010 as:

0-1 Fr (depends on Cooper)

1 RFr (assuming redshirt)

3 So

2 Jr

2 Sr (assuming Thenarse is back)

So 2011 looks like:

?? Fr

0-1 RFr

1 So (or 2 if Cooper comes and doesn't RS)

3 Jr

2 Sr

So how many safeties will the coaches want to bring in for 2011? I'd guess 3 (2-4 seems right). In fact having Marsh commit so early means we have a safety blanket that even if we were to strikeout with every other prospect, we've got at least 1 guy. That means the coaches can go after the most desirable recruits and can afford to wait until late in the process for them to commit. I can't see a single reason why the coaches would not take Marsh if this is the case.

I'd like not to think so either, but this is a pretty WTF in my books still.

We've seen Osborne do the same with Kreik, and we've seen that some staff choices were strong recommendations rather than Bo's own guys. Candidates who wanted to bring their own entire staff (Grobe), weren't looked at, if I recall. Couple that with TO's strong public endorsements of Marsh, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was a lot of recommendation in this instance.

Shrug. We'll see how this turns out. Regardless of who wanted it, Bo or TO or both, it's something that likely would not have been if Bronson weren't from Nebraska. Hence my pessimism, though maybe I'm letting it go a little far.

i'm not sure where you got that idea about limits being placed on coaching candidates. in fact, i don't think the full list of candidates was ever released.

the kreik thing was unusual, but during that transitional period, tom was acting as a coach and actively recruiting kids. since bo has taken the reins, TO has said repeatedly that he only offers advice when asked. i tend to believe TO when he speaks. :koolaid2:

Could've been just a rumor - there were plenty back then. Not sure if it was ever dispelled though. If so, my bad for spreading false info.

What I guess I mean is: we've seen plenty of evidence that TO doesn't mind throwing a couple of offers each year at marginal prospects just because they are good kids who live in-state. Is that totally bad? Well, no, but I'm not a huge fan of this. If they want the opportunity, they can earn it or they can walk-on. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing in a video game - it is a good story, after all. I just feel like the impetus for this has little to do with this staff's talent evaluation. I suppose a puppetmaster conspiracy theory isn't a necessary consequence of that, either :) I mean - I'm sure Bo is not fuming and being forced to do this. But some people are talking about Marsh as if he were specially hand picked by Bo, which I don't know if we've seen anything supporting that.

That said - I am happy for Marsh to get this opportunity. Who wouldn't take it?

congrats to marsh on earning this scholly. really a tough loss for UNO though. the mavs really could have built something around him.... honestly, seeing this guy play, i expect him to play in the future at Nebraska. really strikes me as a smart football player. has a good frame for a freshmen D1 safety and his most underrated attribute is his toughness. really plays football the way it should be played, and i see his nasty streak carrying over to the defensive side of the ball. he's in good hands with pelini

A lot of people are already bashing Marsh and Bo for making the offer. IF this is a greyshirt offer then I don't see the issue. Bo has a history of taking fringe players like Marsh and making them good to great players. Craig Steltz at LSU in 2007 and Matt O'Hanlon are great examples of this. If Bo likes this young man's potential enough to offer him a scholarship in a year that NU will be able to take roughly 25-27 players, then I don't see the issue.

I don't know why anyone would be bashing the decision to offer him the grayshirt. It doesn't count against this years scholies and there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids. I think this situation is what makes Husker football so unique and special.

Alot to be said for offering in-state kids? Such as .. ? Entitlement due to current residence and place of birth?

How Bill Callahan of you to ask that question!

congrats to marsh on earning this scholly. really a tough loss for UNO though. the mavs really could have built something around him.... honestly, seeing this guy play, i expect him to play in the future at Nebraska. really strikes me as a smart football player. has a good frame for a freshmen D1 safety and his most underrated attribute is his toughness. really plays football the way it should be played, and i see his nasty streak carrying over to the defensive side of the ball. he's in good hands with pelini

i do feel bad for UNO. this kid and the running back from KC would have made a nice pair on offense for them.