SIGNED ATH Bronson Marsh

Rivals has him as a safety and he's dang fortunate to have even a greyshirt schollie. He's in no position to bargain about preferred position. I think he goes straight to safety and hopefully works his ass off while proving his critics wrong.

Marsh was quoted in the rivals article yesterday saying he will start at QB. Bo said, "you can start wherever you want and if it doesn't work out we'll move you." Marsh responded with, "I'll start at QB."

My bad. Two days ago they were saying he'd be a safety, obviously I should've read the newest article.

I still think this playing him where he wants stuff is questionable though. He's lucky to be there and he's getting his way as far as position? If Bo thinks he could really be a qb then fine, give him his shot at qb. But if he thinks Marsh is a safety then don't piss around, make the kid a safety.

A lot of it probably depends on how the roster shapes up when he actually starts practicing with the team in 2011. As of right now, he can play DT and wear 93 for all I care...he's not even part of the program yet. If we are somehow loaded at S when Marsh comes aboard, let him have his shot at QB. If we're thin at S, tell him sorry but we need you at S.

How Bill Callahan of you to ask that question!

That's actually a compliment when it comes to talent evaluation and recruiting. :)

So are you saying this kid and Evans are superior athletes over Corey Young, Souder and Levorson??? I'm not trying to get into anything, but Cally offered ships to all of these guys that lasted a year at NU, they ended up transferring to UNO or quit football.

I guess Bo was right, he said he'd get his QB and he got him.

Young, Souder and Levorson all were fantastic athletes who were absolute head cases. Souder in particular who was certifiable, literally.

Callahan was a tireless worker on the recruiting trail. If some of the absolutely lazy assistants we had hit the trail as hard as Cally and his boys did, we would be hauling in monster classes year after year.

And if you think Marsh even has a chance at QB, then I don't know what to tell you.

Marsh has about as much business with a Nebraska offer as I do.

I disagree... I think Marsh may not be able to compete as a QB, but he will be a spectacular Safety. He will have an extra year and a half to learn the position and the system. WIth his toughness and Bo's teaching... he will be awesome at that position and may just be a "safety" pick up for if Corey Cooper decides to go elsewhere.

How will he have an extra year and a half? He isn't enrolling until next January which means limited contact with Bronson and the coaches until he enrolls due to NCAA rules. Sure he'll start next January and get a few extra months, but I think what is more important is that he gets a trainer to become larger and more physical during his 9 months off before he enrolls. He should be quite fit granted once he enrolls he'll have 5 years (including a RS year) to lift etc.

I still think this playing him where he wants stuff is questionable though. He's lucky to be there and he's getting his way as far as position? If Bo thinks he could really be a qb then fine, give him his shot at qb. But if he thinks Marsh is a safety then don't piss around, make the kid a safety.

Maybe scout team depth at QB? :dunno I think he finds himself out of his element fairly quickly and will make the move after next year's Spring practice.

With our problems at QB, I don't care if he is Puerto Rico's all-time passing leader, he needs to be looked at at QB. It would be stupid to just force him to play safety from the get go. He made plays in high school, he needs to prove that he can't at the college level before being dismissed. That kid who plays for Idaho looks really good throwing the ball. Letting him get out out of Nebraska was a mistake. Why take a chance of making a mistake with a kid who is on the team? It won't take long to find out if he has what it takes to run our offense. :restore

With our problems at QB, I don't care if he is Puerto Rico's all-time passing leader, he needs to be looked at at QB. It would be stupid to just force him to play safety from the get go. He made plays in high school, he needs to prove that he can't at the college level before being dismissed. That kid who plays for Idaho looks really good throwing the ball. Letting him get out out of Nebraska was a mistake. Why take a chance of making a mistake with a kid who is on the team? It won't take long to find out if he has what it takes to run our offense. :restore

Wouldn't be surprised if he's at QB his first spring with the team (2011) to see what he's got. If the coaches aren't any more convinced he can play QB here, he'll probably be moved by that summer/fall so he can use his redshirt year to learn a defensive spot.

Some are missing an important factor to this kid. He's a proven winner. That mentality is important to a team that wants to be at the top. This day and age of recruiting profiles and crap make us think that the coaches don't know what they're doing. A lot is still hit and miss with these kids and if this kid is worth taking a chance on then we'll see what Bo can do with him.

For those that are really negative towards this offer...what would he have to accomplish to be a success? Backup QB? Splitting time with a starting safety? Starter? I don't see people discussing the intangibles...what's his GPA? Test scores (ACT)? How much will he grow physically? You can't expect kids to just walk-on like before. You gotta take some chances with recruiting.

Even the NFL people can't judge how good guys are going to be most of the time so how can we make claims like he's going to contribute on special teams only?

Some are missing an important factor to this kid. He's a proven winner. That mentality is important to a team that wants to be at the top. This day and age of recruiting profiles and crap make us think that the coaches don't know what they're doing. A lot is still hit and miss with these kids and if this kid is worth taking a chance on then we'll see what Bo can do with him.

For those that are really negative towards this offer...what would he have to accomplish to be a success? Backup QB? Splitting time with a starting safety? Starter? I don't see people discussing the intangibles...what's his GPA? Test scores (ACT)? How much will he grow physically? You can't expect kids to just walk-on like before. You gotta take some chances with recruiting.

Even the NFL people can't judge how good guys are going to be most of the time so how can we make claims like he's going to contribute on special teams only?

Agree entirely. I think what most are trying to say (at least what I'd say) is that the odds are stacked against him. If he was such a highly skilled QB or tremendous athlete coaches would have been offering him scholarships. This kid broke the high school records held by some pretty impressive Huskers. He went to our camps. The staff probalby saw a number of his HS games...yet he still BARELY got an offer. It's going to be a stretch. Those intangibles you speak of might also be what's kept him from getting offers. Can the proven winner, record setting QB humbly take his place on the scout team for the next couple of years? (without ended up drunk/high at the end of every week) Only time will tell, but at lot of our in-state "stretches" recently have come back to bite us in the a$$.

Agree entirely. I think what most are trying to say (at least what I'd say) is that the odds are stacked against him. If he was such a highly skilled QB or tremendous athlete coaches would have been offering him scholarships. This kid broke the high school records held by some pretty impressive Huskers. He went to our camps. The staff probalby saw a number of his HS games...yet he still BARELY got an offer. It's going to be a stretch. Those intangibles you speak of might also be what's kept him from getting offers. Can the proven winner, record setting QB humbly take his place on the scout team for the next couple of years? (without ended up drunk/high at the end of every week) Only time will tell, but at lot of our in-state "stretches" recently have come back to bite us in the a$$.

Which ones brought in by Bo are causing roster issues?

When you qualify that with "brought in by Bo" it's a little more difficult. Outside of Stein, Fisher is the only one that has produced. 2 for 7...though it's early.

2008 Class (Levorson - gone, Okafor, - gone once, probably gone again, Kreik hasn't contributed yet w/ the injuries)

2009 Class (to early to really tell, but Pensick & Zimmerer haven't contributed yet)

I think too often we lump someone like Crick into the same mold as someone like Okafor. Crick is that typical hardnosed Nebraska kid. Grew up in Cozad, knows how to work. Okafor and Marsh are from Omaha...which when you're a kid is VERY different than Cozad. Omaha is like LA only colder for kids from Cozad. The work ethic of today's Omaha kids doesn't always match the mold we place them in.

When you qualify that with "brought in by Bo" it's a little more difficult. Outside of Stein, Fisher is the only one that has produced. 2 for 7...though it's early.

2008 Class (Levorson - gone, Okafor, - gone once, probably gone again, Kreik hasn't contributed yet w/ the injuries)

2009 Class (to early to really tell, but Pensick & Zimmerer haven't contributed yet)

I think too often we lump someone like Crick into the same mold as someone like Okafor. Crick is that typical hardnosed Nebraska kid. Grew up in Cozad, knows how to work. Okafor and Marsh are from Omaha...which when you're a kid is VERY different than Cozad. Omaha is like LA only colder for kids from Cozad. The work ethic of today's Omaha kids doesn't always match the mold we place it in.

Now this one takes the cake. Do you really want me to start listing all of the Husker greats to come out of Omaha?

Regarding the Bo NE recruits, you have to give a player 2-3 years before you label them as busts and taking roster space IMO. Levorson isn't causing a roster issue. He didn't have the desire to put what he needed to into football at NU and now is gone. If Okafor leaves, he won't be taking a space either. Until then, if he doesn't produce this upcoming season then I would agree he is negatively affecting the roster. Kreik still has promise, and the other two are just RFr. 1 spot out of 85, Okafor, MAY be a non-productive spot as it stands right now. If Bo feels that offering a scholarship is the right thing to do, then so be it.

To kind of clarify - because after I read that it sounded like I was demeaning Omaha kids and that's not the case. I grew up in a small town in western Nebraska. 600 people, 8 man ball. We currently have a sophmore walk-on representing the town. He literally represents the town. I played basketball against Eisenhart in high school - he represented his town. Marsh, Okafor...they're from Omaha. The "community" of Omaha could probably care less about them. That's not the case with the typical "mold" of our homegrown boys. Guys like Crick, Eisenhart, etc - they have more to play for.

That's just my opinion - the opinion of someone that moved from a small rural town to a city, and watches his wife try to teach little city punks that would rather be at home on the couch than outside. That don't even know the word "sir" and would spit in your face in a heartbeat if you rubbed em the wrong way.

I think too often we lump someone like Crick into the same mold as someone like Okafor. Crick is that typical hardnosed Nebraska kid. Grew up in Cozad, knows how to work. Okafor and Marsh are from Omaha...which when you're a kid is VERY different than Cozad. Omaha is like LA only colder for kids from Cozad. The work ethic of today's Omaha kids doesn't always match the mold we place it in.

Now this one takes the cake. Do you really want me to start listing all of the Husker greats to come out of Omaha?

Regarding the Bo NE recruits, you have to give a player 2-3 years before you label them as busts and taking roster space IMO. Levorson isn't causing a roster issue. He didn't have the desire to put what he needed to into football at NU and now is gone. If Okafor leaves, he won't be taking a space either. Until then, if he doesn't produce this upcoming season then I would agree he is negatively affecting the roster. Kreik still has promise, and the other two are just RFr. 1 spot out of 85, Okafor, MAY be a non-productive spot as it stands right now. If Bo feels that offering a scholarship is the right thing to do, then so be it.

I would argue that they took roster space, and they'll be taking it for the next 2 years because we could have had a sophmore or junior in there that could have contributed to this year's team. Instead we have to start over and find out if the next guy (after 2-3 years) is going to contribute.

I would argue that they took roster space, they'll be taking it for the next 2 years because we could have had a sophmore of junior in there that could have contributed to this years team. instead we have to start over and find out if the next guy (after 2-3 years) is going to contribute.

That is the case with EVERY recruit. I mean come on, what about Chris Brooks, Will Henry, or Barret Cruz? Every single recruit is a crap shoot, it is up to the coaches to determine which ones they want to take that chance with.

I would argue that they took roster space, they'll be taking it for the next 2 years because we could have had a sophmore of junior in there that could have contributed to this years team. instead we have to start over and find out if the next guy (after 2-3 years) is going to contribute.

That is the case with EVERY recruit. I mean come on, what about Chris Brooks, Will Henry, or Barret Cruz? Every single recruit is a crap shoot, it is up to the coaches to determine which ones they want to take that chance with.

Exactly. But you're going away from the original arguments, and that is that it "appeared" as though Marsh got a scholarship more because he was a nebraska boy. Poeple were pissed about it, and I can see their point. He had no offers. We gave him his only chance. We'll see how it plays out. I'm not questioning the staff, just saying people have a point. And a lot of those "intangibles" we talk about don't apply across the board just because you are from NE.

Also, since I said "today's" Omaha kids...that would only include that last 5 years or so. 10 years ago video games sucks and the internet was just becoming popular. I would venture to put Niles Paul on that list w/ the Omaha kids. He said so himself that he didn't have the mentality, maturity, or work ethic to compete at Nebraska until this year.

Exactly. But you're going away from the original arguments, and that is that it "appeared" as though Marsh got a scholarship more because he was a nebraska boy. Poeple were pissed about it, and I can see their point. He had no offers. We gave him his only chance. We'll see how it plays out. I'm not questioning the staff, just saying people have a point. And a lot of those "intangibles" we talk about don't apply across the board just because you are from NE.

Also, since I said "today's" Omaha kids...that would only include that last 5 years or so. 10 years ago video games sucks and the internet was just becoming popular. I would venture to put Niles Paul on that list w/ the Omaha kids. He said so himself that he didn't have the mentality, maturity, or work ethic to compete at Nebraska until this year.

Everyone says that if Marsh wasn't in NE, he wouldn't get offered. I would guess this is the case, but I think it would be mostly because the staff wouldn't have the up close contact with the young man to see what kind of character or intangibles he has. Bronson is in-state, right out the back door of the staff. The Staff visits the local HS's a lot, they get a ton of exposure to Bronson. They really get a feel for this young man and his abilities. If Bronson was in Iowa I don't think he gets the offer because he wouldn't have the same exposure to the staff. Bo supposedly really likes his potential at Safety so gave him a greyshirt offer.