QBs

glm09

This question is for those who know more than I do...

We have about 12 offers out to quarterbacks next year, and everyone seems to say that we will take 1 QB...is it just who ever commits first is our guy, or do we somehow tender the offers to hear back from the guys at the top of the board first?

I am assuming that they don't offer a quarterback at this point as a back up plan, therefore they must feel that any one of these guys could be the right guy. We can't just offer who ever we want and expect a comitt from the only guy we offer like Texas, and then just move down the board to number 2 if that doesn't work out, so we must throw out a blanket of offers to players we feel good about, and then take who ever feels they are right for us.

Is that the same tactic we are taking with every other position? a bunch of offers to all equally gifted players, then take who we get?

This class seems to offer a ton of dual-threat QB talent, which is part of the reason we've offered so many guys. I would be happy if we took any of the 12 offers at this point, just because I think that the class as a whole is that good.

Just my opinion, however.

I think it has been mentioned that a couple of the guys offered are Taylor Martinez-type guys who would be nice pick-ups at S or WR in addition to QB. I'm guessing with the small class size Nebraska would shy away from getting 2 QBs so it may be a first-come-first served type of deal. Most programs are likely to be that way except ones that missed out on a guy last year.

I would have to lean towards a duel threat guy too! We would be QB U pumping out NFL QB's, but we never have been either. I just think that's the better way to go in college. It's just a lot harder to defend the whole field when you have to pay attention to the QB running. I would prefer you that will look to throw first and run on designed plays and just straight up broken plays. Pretty much like Joe Ganz, maybe a littler better runner, but he was able to make things happen and extend plays. I think we have two or three that are better runners than Joe right now. That's what I would want if I were the one calling the shots. I can't stand slow motion QB's that can't run a lick! They can't make anything happen without their arm, or time in the pocket. I like the direction.

GBR

This year was more of a dual threat quarterback for sure, But ganz sat back and threw way more than he took off and ran. Yeah, he made plays with his feet, but the overwhelming majority of his impact happened through the air.

I am guessing we would go after QBs that can play, and then we tailor our offense around their strengths.

This year was more of a dual threat quarterback for sure, But ganz sat back and threw way more than he took off and ran. Yeah, he made plays with his feet, but the overwhelming majority of his impact happened through the air.

I am guessing we would go after QBs that can play, and then we tailor our offense around their strengths.

True, but I think what most of what Inwar1 was talking about was extending the play. A dual threat guy can move around and get out of the pocket if need be to make a throw. You saw Ganz do that a lot, always looking to make a throw until he absolutely had to run.

• 1 month later...

Apparently we are not going to a more dual threat type of QB after all.

The current coaching staff, read OC Shawn Watson, wants QB's that: can move, get out of the pocket, elude people, buy some time, etc.

So while Nebraska may not be going after true dual threats like Cody Green exclusively, they're no longer going after guys like Sam Kellar or Zac Taylor-which is to say true statue-esque slow pocket passers.

i think we should go with the dual-threat but one's that actually pass like cody green. my top two are dallas lloyd from utah and jesse scroggins from cal(even though he listed as a prostyle looks like a dual threat to me) that way you get the best of both worlds and makes our team better. give to much for the opposing defense to think about.

I think it's important to realize that Cody Green isn't really a "dual threat" quarterback. The coaches, and those that have played with him before, characterize him as a passer first that can run if he absolutely needs to. We need guys like that who are actually pro-type passers but can extend plays out of the pocket if they need to. I'm not saying he can't burn people with his legs and isn't a good runner, but he is still a much better passer than a runner.

:nanalama

I think it's important to realize that Cody Green isn't really a "dual threat" quarterback. The coaches, and those that have played with him before, characterize him as a passer first that can run if he absolutely needs to. We need guys like that who are actually pro-type passers but can extend plays out of the pocket if they need to. I'm not saying he can't burn people with his legs and isn't a good runner, but he is still a much better passer than a runner.

:nanalama

Actually Cody Green is the ideal dual threat QB that Bo and Shawn both want.

In other words: A QB that passes for 3,000+ yards while running for a 1,000+ yards...

There isn't a college coach in the entire nation that wouldn't want a Cody Green type QB.

And for you to say that Cody Green isn't a "dual-threat" type QB makes me wonder if you really understand what: 1) dual threat really means and 2) whether you know what Bo and Shawn are really looking for.