Ekeler to USF?????

HSKRNOKC

February 21, 2009

Could Leavitt, Ekeler reunite with Bulls?

I want to get a name out there as what I would call a strong candidate to join USF coach Jim Leavitt's staff: Nebraska linebackers coach Mike Ekeler.

Ekeler, 37, just finished his first season at Nebraska, his first as a college position coach. But he has strong ties to Leavitt, who was his linebackers coach for four years at Kansas State from 1991-94. Ekeler has worked with some of the elite national programs in college football -- two years as a defensive graduate assistant at Oklahoma, two more in the same role at LSU, then a third season as an intern with the Tigers during their 2007 national championship season.

When Bo Pelini became Nebraska's head coach, he brought Ekeler with him to Lincoln. There is a strong mutual respect between Ekeler and Leavitt, and we referenced him last year when Leavitt had two defensive openings but Ekeler had already accepted a job at Nebraska. Ekeler was also considered for USF's defensive line job in 2007 when Dan McCarney got the job.

"A year ago, I would have been beating down his door to coach for him," Ekeler told us one year ago this week. "Coach Leavitt taught me a ton about the game of football, and I hold him in very high regard. He's one of the big reasons I got into coaching."

I can't say where Ekeler is in terms of interviews and consideration for USF's linebackers job, but the biggest hurdle would be convincing the Nebraska native to leave his home state. Stay tuned ...

LINK

Get used to it, guys. As the Huskers improve, there are going to be more and more offers for the staff. In a way, that's a good thing - it shows that we're on the right track.

The days of coaching continuity in programs is long gone. This isn't to say that Ekeler is leaving - just that we have to accept that we can't expect the staff to remain constant year after year...

Yes he has a ton of respect for Jim Leavitt, but I'm pretty sure he has the same respect for Bo, and his home state.

Expecially since he not only grew up here, he grew up with the conference. he played at KSU, was a GA at OU and now a coach here. I don't see him leaving the B12 and more importantly Nebraska, for the Big East, no matter who the coach is.

If it were a DC job than maybe I could see it but a lateral move to a far small time program in a conference that as a whole is largely ignored and considered inferior? I don't see it.

Yes he has a ton of respect for Jim Leavitt, but I'm pretty sure he has the same respect for Bo, and his home state.

Expecially since he not only grew up here, he grew up with the conference. he played at KSU, was a GA at OU and now a coach here. I don't see him leaving the B12 and more importantly Nebraska, for the Big East, no matter who the coach is.

If it were a DC job than maybe I could see it but a lateral move to a far small time program in a conference that as a whole is largely ignored and considered inferior? I don't see it.

:yeah

I don't see him making the lateral coaching move like someone said before... he would only be setting himself back one would think? USF has been decent the last couple of years, but come one Nebraska or USF?

I would be a little more scared if this came from the LJS, but its from SF and sounds like they are dreaming who they would want the most at their vacant coaching position.

I would think that if this is your chosen profession and you had a chance to coach in your home state, especially for the Huskers, that would seem like a dream come true. I doubt he is going any where. Just a hunch.

GBR!!!

considering there's reports that his alma mater came calling and he said no....i'll trust him to stay.

Ya know they mentioned something about him having strong ties to this Leavitt guy, but then they mentioned his coaching career with two years at OU and then two at LSU and said nothing about the fact that he coached with Bo at both of those places and developed strong ties with him.