Patrick Witt

I am sorry for this generalization, but this is new age thinking.

Everything for me and to hell with you.

He quit, no other answer. I do not care if he is the nicest guy or the biggest Ahole in the world. He signed an agreement to play football for Nebraska. Things did not go his way for what ever reason. So he pulls up his panties and runs home to mommy and daddy. Where the hell would this program be if Ganz had done the same. He lacks faith in his ability or his dedication. He is absolutely no loss to this program. He opens a spot that Bo can put a kid in that wants to be a Husker. Everyday not just the good days.

I have said for ever, that BC recruited less than stellar character. Another in the long line of quitter QB's that he tricked, lied to or promised the world. Maybe he is to blame for these defections, I do not know, but deep down it is the individual that quits. Quitters never win, Winners never quit.

I have no use for some one that says one thing and then if it does not turn out peaches and cream they quit.

I know I am old Jar Head, and quitting is a sin, but I have felt that since I was in the 5th grade getting my scrawny as handed to me in wrestling. Some are to be stars, others are to make stars. You do all you can until you can't do it any more.

Quitter, if that offends him too bad. One way to cure it. Don't Quit.

As for getting paid, they do alright, I am sure there are few 19-20 year old kids in Iraq that could put up with the very tough life he has had to live. He has talent, apply it. If your good enough you play, that is the real world.

If he wanted to be a Husker he would do it. Much easier to go some place else. Good riddance.

amen brother, amen

I personaly did not expect Witt to start, but I'm a little disapointed to see him go. If for no other reason than the added competition his skill set would have provided in the spring.

As for Witt sabotaging Green with false signals, I have a hard time buying this. Their in the middle of winter conditioning. All the QB drills would be informal at this point. Could it be true, sure. But the skeptic in me really doubts this story. <_<

One thing I'm not suprised about is the inevitable "now Green has an even better chance to start" posts. So let me be the first to say, NO Green is no closer to starting now than he was last week. He is not going to magicaly learn the playbook over night. And his throwing mechanics aren't going to turn into Peyton Manning's either. It's good that the fan base is excited about Green. But we all need to temper our expectations a bit. (or ALOT in some cases!) He has a lot of work ahead of him.

To me the most intriging angle in all this may be the opprotunity that Taylor Martinez has to get in the QB mix. Granted he still has a hell of a hill to climb with Green, and his fall enrollment. But if Taylor really wants to play QB, this maybe exactly what he needed to get his foot in the door.

Well I hate to do this but I must.You state in one sentence that we should all temper our expectations about Cody Green.That I can agree on.

You then say he has no better chance at starting now than he did last week.That is flat out NOT TRUE.Regardless of what you say or think if its 1 less person to compete against then EVERYONES chances improve.

Then you say Green isnt going to magically learn the playbook and his mechanice wont turn into Peyton mannings either.BUT turn right around and say you are intriqued by Martinez getting his shot in the QB mix...Now heres my problem.Have you seen Martinez's mechanincs?He makes Green LOOK LIKE Manning.He has terrible mechanics.Next Green will have sooo uch trouble learning the playbook?So I gues the same doesnt apply to Martinez huh?Finally you say this was just what Martinez needed to get his foot in the door BUT...Green has no better chance at starting than before?How can that be?You cany have it both ways dude.It helps martinez chances but Greens stays the same?Thats what you are saying.

Now I dont know if this was done on purpose or not but you show a huge bias against green for whatever reason.Like I said I hated to say this but go back and read your post again and see how someone could come to the conclusion I did.

I personaly did not expect Witt to start, but I'm a little disapointed to see him go. If for no other reason than the added competition his skill set would have provided in the spring.

As for Witt sabotaging Green with false signals, I have a hard time buying this. Their in the middle of winter conditioning. All the QB drills would be informal at this point. Could it be true, sure. But the skeptic in me really doubts this story. <_<

One thing I'm not suprised about is the inevitable "now Green has an even better chance to start" posts. So let me be the first to say, NO Green is no closer to starting now than he was last week. He is not going to magicaly learn the playbook over night. And his throwing mechanics aren't going to turn into Peyton Manning's either. It's good that the fan base is excited about Green. But we all need to temper our expectations a bit. (or ALOT in some cases!) He has a lot of work ahead of him.

To me the most intriging angle in all this may be the opprotunity that Taylor Martinez has to get in the QB mix. Granted he still has a hell of a hill to climb with Green, and his fall enrollment. But if Taylor really wants to play QB, this maybe exactly what he needed to get his foot in the door.

:yeah Completely agree. Only one person knows why he really decided to leave and he.......well he left, so who knows. I don't think though this leaves a gaping hole in the offense (it was already there). Granted he didn't have much playing time last year but, six of eight for forty-eight yards? It's a good completion percentage I guess, but still.

On the non-football side, he IS a very bright kid who probably won't make a living off pro football so maybe academics were a part of the decision, again who knows. Best of luck to him.

He quit, no other answer. I do not care if he is the nicest guy or the biggest Ahole in the world. He signed an agreement to play football for Nebraska. Things did not go his way for what ever reason. So he pulls up his panties and runs home to mommy and daddy. Where the hell would this program be if Ganz had done the same. He lacks faith in his ability or his dedication. He is absolutely no loss to this program. He opens a spot that Bo can put a kid in that wants to be a Husker. Everyday not just the good days.

I have said for ever, that BC recruited less than stellar character. Another in the long line of quitter QB's that he tricked, lied to or promised the world. Maybe he is to blame for these defections, I do not know, but deep down it is the individual that quits. Quitters never win, Winners never quit.

I have no use for some one that says one thing and then if it does not turn out peaches and cream they quit.

I know I am old Jar Head, and quitting is a sin, but I have felt that since I was in the 5th grade getting my scrawny as handed to me in wrestling. Some are to be stars, others are to make stars. You do all you can until you can't do it any more.

As for getting paid, they do alright, I am sure there are few 19-20 year old kids in Iraq that could put up with the very tough life he has had to live. He has talent, apply it. If your good enough you play, that is the real world.

If he wanted to be a Husker he would do it. Much easier to go some place else. Good riddance.

I guess you had no use for Crouch since he almost did the same thing until Solich came and begged for him to come back. <_<

The coaching staff is certainly looking at QB's who are more mobile. I have it on good authority that A. J. Derby a highly touted high school junior was in Lincoln for junior weekend and he has been said to be very Tebow like although he is 6' 5" and about 215.

I think Nebraska is recruiting him as Safety. Scout actually lists him as WR/S prospect. ESPN lists him as a ATH. He might get the same promise as Taylor Martinez. A shot at QB but then he moves to S if he can't break the depth chart.

As far as we know, Nebraska has offered the following pro-style QBs for 2010:

QB Tyler Gabbert Ht: 6-0 Wt: 174 Ballwin Parkway West, MO NR/NR/ESPN150 Watch List

QB Jake Heaps Ht: 6-2 Wt: 182 Sammamish, WA Skyline

QB Austin Hinder Ht: 6-5 Wt: 180 40: 4.85 Steamboat Springs, CO :star :star :star :star/NR/ESPN150 Watch List

QB Zach Lee Ht: 6-4 Wt: 183 40: 5.00 McKinney, TX NR/Rivals250 to Watch/ESPN 150 Watch list

QB Connor Wood Ht: 6-4 Wt: 210 40: 4.6 Houston Second Baptist, TX :star :star :star :star/NR/ESPN150 Watch List -- Solid Texas verbal

However, most of the offers are for Dual-threat QBs so the staff is definitely leaning that way and it may be the case they've made a change in philosophy since those kids were offered, but I think they'll take the best QB available and tailor the offense toward him.

You dont have to apologize for speaking your mind. I agree with most of what you said, commitment, not quitting and breaking his word... all bad things and definitely signs of the new ME generation. I think his attitude would have affected his play on the field, instead of doing for the team he will do for Pat... and probably cost the team in the process. lets hope zac is like the taylor variety! GO BIG RED!!

You dont have to apologize for speaking your mind. I agree with most of what you said, commitment, not quitting and breaking his word... all bad things and definitely signs of the new ME generation. I think his attitude would have affected his play on the field, instead of doing for the team he will do for Pat... and probably cost the team in the process. lets hope zac is like the taylor variety! GO BIG RED!!

How do you know he quit? Maybe he was asked to go.

You then say he has no better chance at starting now than he did last week.That is flat out NOT TRUE.Regardless of what you say or think if its 1 less person to compete against then EVERYONES chances improve.

I guess I should have said he is no closer to being READY to start. Sorry for the confusion, but I don't think I'm wrong in expressing a little doubt that a true freshman will be ready to start on day one. I don't think that's shows bias toward Cody Green. In fact I'm really excited to have a player of his potential in Lincoln. I'm just not ready to anoint him the next king of cornhusker football yet. He hasn't even made it through his first spring!!

***SNIP***

Moderators, if it is not alright to verbally abuse other members of the board, shouldn't our warning level be increased if we do the same to presumably innocent 18-23 year-olds. If these kids got payed to play, it would be one thing, but aren't we all on here because we are supporters of these kids. None of these kids or their friends should have to see this stuff. It certainly doesn't do anyone any good. We can express our disappointment in a kid's decision or playing ability without abuse. I'm surprised there isn't already a board rule against this, or is there?

No, there isn't one, for a couple of reasons:

1. The rule against personal attacks on other members is designed to stop flame wars before they start - hardly a consideration when the person attacked is not a member and won't, therefore, flame the fire by replying.

2. The purpose of the Board is to allow members a place to express their opnions of Husker football. That includes the members of the team and the coaching staff. While it may be an unfortunate side effect, signing to play for a major program such as Nebraska makes one something of a public figure - one who's education is being paid for in large part or entirely by the people who make the comments. If we eliminated those comments, we would eliminate a significant chunk of the Board. Should we hold off in making a rush to judgment? Perhaps. Should we resist impugning the character of the players? Again, perhaps - but in many cases questioning their character is part and parcel of fans. Is the player "mentally tough" to play through pain - to know the difference between pain and injury? Is the player dedicated enough to make the sacrifices necessary to play to the level expected? Does the player have the maturity to keep himself out of bad situations? All of these are, if not legitimate questions, certainly questions that one should expect to be asked.

:dumdum

ok... it doesnt make sense. nevermind. Witt... good luck. Lee, hope your ready to answer the call.

How do you know he quit? Maybe he was asked to go.

He asked for a release from his scholarship... that is QUITTING in my book, friend. :cop: