Exhibition game

Probably been talked about, but wouldn't it be cool to see a exhibition game against UNO and maybe just replace the spring game. Players don't always give 100% in spring games and that actually increases the chance of injury. Maybe a game vs. UNO would get there blood pumping a little and have em play for braging rights?

This has been brought up a few times. I think it would be cool to see, but in reality, it would never happen. I'm sure there is NCAA rules on this but I'm not sure. Volleyball, basketball and other sports have exhibition games so I guess never say never. But UNO is no where near the level as the Huskers, so there is no advantages for the Huskers to play them.

It would be interesting to see happen. I remember when NDSU played MN and lost in the final seconds due to a missed FG and then came back the following year and beat them. I am not saying that UNO would beat NU, but it was very cool to see all of the NDSU fans after the games.....the Golden Showers were expecting to blow the Bison out, but it never happened. Let's just say they are not going playing each other anymore.

No. For one in a game against another opponent you aren't going to get nearly as many guys involved as you cut your teams reps in half.

Secondly, there's too great a risk of injury playing those kinds of games, the UNO guys are going to go a bit harder to try to prove that they can play with the D1 guys while the Huskers are simply trying to work on fundamentals and get in a rhythm.

Plus how bad would it look if the Huskers lost because they weren't trying to win and UNO was?

UNO has a lot to play for in a game like this. NU doesn't and a lot of players lose reps, so coaches are unable to successfully evaluate the full roster. The only way it would work if it was a controlled scrimmage format just like the spring game. The competitive element would be removed in this case, and, if that were to happen, what would be the point of NU vs. UNO anyway?

No. For one in a game against another opponent you aren't going to get nearly as many guys involved as you cut your teams reps in half.

Secondly, there's too great a risk of injury playing those kinds of games, the UNO guys are going to go a bit harder to try to prove that they can play with the D1 guys while the Huskers are simply trying to work on fundamentals and get in a rhythm.

Plus how bad would it look if the Huskers lost because they weren't trying to win and UNO was?

Make the game 2 hours long. :dunno

Probably won't happen - Even against another DI school unless there is $$$$ involved - TV contracts, etc.

:yeah completely.

UNO would have a lot to prove and would probably play harder than usual, but you have to remember that they wouldn't want to get injured either.

It does cut down on reps significantly, and I think it's important to get our players reps even if it is in front of a stadium full of home fans.

I don't think the NCAA allows exhibition games between two schools in the spring, so it is pretty much a dead issue. dedhoarse

Besides, why would Nebraska risk losing a game like that - the whole intent of the spring game is to see what talent you have as a team, your not going to go in and play the first team the whole game, where as a smaller school who could really gain a reputation if they won a game (even if it was only an exhibition) against a larger school might come in and actually play their starters the whole game just to win. A larger school would be finished if they lost to a lesser opponent like that, even before the next season started since everyone that votes in the polls would have already written them off with a laugh after losing a game like that. The smaller school would have everything to gain, especially when it comes to recruiting.