The Non-Conference Cup Cake Award Goes To....

Looking over the non-conference schedule for the Big 12 North I see another fine season against high-school teams coming up…so, as is my usual annoying habit…I will now analyze the first four weeks of the up-coming season and rank them from most challenging to “Why Bother”

#1 Missouri – Missouri kicks things off with Illinois, a real team from a real school. They finish things off with Nevada who was surprisingly good last year (bet the schedulers didn’t take that into account a few years ago.

Illinois

Furman

Bowling Green

Nevada

#2 Nebraska – Nebraska appears to be ready to make the jump to the Sun Belt Conference since three of the first four games of the year feature Sun Belt members. But, at least they are decent teams. Arkansas State and La Lafayette had some good moments last year. V-Tech is the nail-biter for the Huskers.

Florida Atlantic

Arkansas State

Virginia Tech

UL Lafayette

#3 Iowa State – Sure…a non-conference schedule featuring the likes of Army doesn’t strike fear into the hearts of too many good teams. But, ISU is not a good team yet and needs some walk-overs. There is a good chance they will struggle to win against the cupcakes what with a new coaching staff and new system…again. Plus, there is the annual ISU-Iowa match up. Iowa is a bowl team that is better than what the rest of the Big 12 North is stacked up against

North Dakota State

Iowa

Kent State

Army

#4 Colorado – Not a whole lot of work here in the non-conference but the West Virginia game on the road makes the schedule interesting. Lots of games in the high altitudes for Colorado this year during the non-conference. Wyoming could be a surprise this year

Colorado State

Toledo

Wyoming

West Virginia

#5 Kansas State – KSU is still miffed because nobody told them that UCLA was going to actually be decent again by this time. Actually, they really aren’t…just a name…but, then again, KSU isn’t going to be too decent either so I guess they are even. The rest…typical K-State opponents during non-conference play

Massachusetts

UL Lafayette

UCLA

Tennessee Tech

#6 Kansas – Hurray for the winner of the Biggest Non-Conference Cup Cake Schedule of the Year award for two years running! No wonder Mangino is so huge with all the cup cakes being served up this year. Look for Kansas to start the season with four wins and the schedule maker to win MVP again this year.

Northern Colorado

UTEP

Duke

Southern Miss

Look for the North teams to come out of non-conference play with the following records and remember…you heard it from me first!

Missouri – 2-2

Nebraska – 3-1

Iowa State – 3-1

Colorado – 2-2

Kansas State – 3-1

Kansas 4-0

Looking over the non-conference schedule for the Big 12 North I see another fine season against high-school teams coming up…so, as is my usual annoying habit…I will now analyze the first four weeks of the up-coming season and rank them from most challenging to “Why Bother”

#1 Missouri – Missouri kicks things off with Illinois, a real team from a real school. They finish things off with Nevada who was surprisingly good last year (bet the schedulers didn’t take that into account a few years ago.

Illinois

Furman

Bowling Green

Nevada

#2 Nebraska – Nebraska appears to be ready to make the jump to the Sun Belt Conference since three of the first four games of the year feature Sun Belt members. But, at least they are decent teams. Arkansas State and La Lafayette had some good moments last year. V-Tech is the nail-biter for the Huskers.

Florida Atlantic

Arkansas State

Virginia Tech

UL Lafayette

#3 Iowa State – Sure…a non-conference schedule featuring the likes of Army doesn’t strike fear into the hearts of too many good teams. But, ISU is not a good team yet and needs some walk-overs. There is a good chance they will struggle to win against the cupcakes what with a new coaching staff and new system…again. Plus, there is the annual ISU-Iowa match up. Iowa is a bowl team that is better than what the rest of the Big 12 North is stacked up against

North Dakota State

Iowa

Kent State

Army

#4 Colorado – Not a whole lot of work here in the non-conference but the West Virginia game on the road makes the schedule interesting. Lots of games in the high altitudes for Colorado this year during the non-conference. Wyoming could be a surprise this year

Colorado State

Toledo

Wyoming

West Virginia

#5 Kansas State – KSU is still miffed because nobody told them that UCLA was going to actually be decent again by this time. Actually, they really aren’t…just a name…but, then again, KSU isn’t going to be too decent either so I guess they are even. The rest…typical K-State opponents during non-conference play

Massachusetts

UL Lafayette

UCLA

Tennessee Tech

#6 Kansas – Hurray for the winner of the Biggest Non-Conference Cup Cake Schedule of the Year award for two years running! No wonder Mangino is so huge with all the cup cakes being served up this year. Look for Kansas to start the season with four wins and the schedule maker to win MVP again this year.

Northern Colorado

UTEP

Duke

Southern Miss

Look for the North teams to come out of non-conference play with the following records and remember…you heard it from me first!

Missouri – 0-4

Nebraska – 4-0

Iowa State – 0-4

Colorado – 0-4

Kansas State – 0-4

Kansas - 0-4

there, fixed it for ya... :dunno

I can't count how many times I've heard a teams name, for the first time, when looking at a KSU out of conf. schedule! Tenn. Tech? Nice!

Although you do have to love a season in which a conference's championship could be determined, not by a teams in conf. record. But their margin of loss to Nebraska!

Tenn. Tech? Nice!

Thats what I was thinking. Almost sounds made up..

In Tennessee their version of the tech college makes improvements to the steam engine. The rest of the world moved on to combustion engines. They also make some very good wooden false teeth there, that is how they keep tuition low, a lot of toothless folks in TN.

:nanalama

Take this to the bank... :hellloooo

#1 Missouri

Illinois L

Furman W

Bowling Green W

Nevada L

#2 Nebraska

Florida Atlantic W

Arkansas State W

Virginia Tech L

UL Lafayette W

#3 Iowa State

North Dakota State W

Iowa L

Kent State W

Army L

#4 Colorado

Colorado State W

Toledo W

Wyoming L

West Virginia L

#5 Kansas State

Massachusetts W (They really have a team or is the Volleyball team doubling up on Saturdays?)

UL Lafayette L

UCLA L

Tennessee Tech L

#6 Kansas

Northern Colorado W

UTEP W

Duke L

Southern Miss L

Look for the North teams to come out of non-conference play with the following records because that is just the way it is...according to me - because I know just about as much as the next guy that knows exactly nothing.

Missouri – 2-2

Nebraska – 3-1

Iowa State – 2-2

Colorado – 2-2

Kansas State – 1-3

Kansas 2-2

Take these to the betting sites!

#1 Missouri- not gonna be good

Illinois L

Furman W

Bowling Green W

Nevada L

#2 Nebraska- will win north

Florida Atlantic W

Arkansas State W

Virginia Tech W (i still think we take it, payback is a b!tch! and no im not wearing glasses)

UL Lafayette W

#3 Iowa State- should come out of this no worse than 3-1, they are in for another long year if they do.

North Dakota State W

Iowa L

Kent State W

Army W

#4 Colorado- CU ST game is always close and WVU is a surefire loss.

Colorado State L

Toledo W

Wyoming W

West Virginia L

#5 Kansas State- always start out strong in non con, may even beat UCLA but will flop in conference play.

Massachusetts W

UL Lafayette W

UCLA L

Tennessee Tech W

#6 Kansas- does not play anyone in non con, will lose to both NU and CU in the north.

Northern Colorado W

UTEP W

Duke W

Southern Miss W

MU 2-2

NU 4-0

ISU 3-1

CU 2-2

KSU 3-1

KU 4-0

Craig Bohl and his NDSU Bison have beat three lower level fbs teams in the last three years. All of them on the road. They also lost to Minnesota by one and Wyoming by two or three in that span. The cyclones better be ready to play that first game or they might get knocked off.