Ganz, Daniel, Brennan

Interesting piece on Ganz's position with the Skins.

T_O_B

Those who follow the ‘Skins will tell you that Jason Campbell (barring any trades) will likely be the starting quarterback this year and veterans Todd Collins will be the top backup. So the real competition at quarterback will be for which young player can make the roster as the third quarterback.

Colt Brennan came out of Hawaii in 2008 as a Heisman finalist and having led the team to an undefeated regular season. He was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL draft and played impressively in the preseason and became something of a fan favorite. He would seem to be the favorite to make the Redskins roster given his experience and stature (he’s 6’3”).

Chase Daniel led Missouri to two straight Big 12 North titles, but regressed a bit as a senior after finishing as a Heisman finalist in 2007 along with Brennan. At just 6’ tall and after throwing 18 interceptions as a senior he went undrafted. He also got into a bit of hot water for a twitter he sent late in the draft. He said he was hearing he might go to the Redskins but might be better off going undrafted. A popular DC area radio personality took him to task for the remarks and Daniel retorted which only drew further attention to the message. While the PR snafu is hardly insurmountable, it hasn’t endeared him to the public.

Ganz has been the most under the radar player. Not as nationally known as Daniel, Ganz finished only slightly behind Daniel in pass efficiency and led Nebraska to nine wins and a Gator Bowl victory. Listed at 6’1” he might even be taller than Daniel. Daniel seemed to decline over the last four games of the season and threw eight interceptions. Ganz got better throwing just three. If Brennan doesn’t live up to his role as favorite, Ganz could very well beat out Daniel. His experience in a West Coast offense can't hurt.

And the longer term prospects for the Redskins third quarterback aren’t all that bad. Campbell seems likely to depart after the 2009 season and Collins is too old to be anything more than a stopgap starter. If he practices well enough, the third quarterback could very well find himself the starter in 2010. Stranger things have happened.

Go Joe, go!

T_O_B

The issue is that Chase has a contract and Joe does not, hence Chase is currently listed on the roster and Joe isn't. I think Joe really has little to no shot with the RS. It appears they will only go 3 deep at QB on the final roster and they are planning for this. If they like Brennan that much, they won't give too much thought as to who should fight it out for the fourth spot. They will only carry enough QB's to throw to all of the receivers and then release QB's as they release WR's. They will most likely keep Chase around longer for this as they already invested money in him and they really only want him to take a portion of throws in practice. I may be pleasantly surprised, but I am betting that by the end of this week we will be hearing that Joe won't get a second minicamp invite.

I hope Ganz turns into one of those quarterbacks that nobody knew about and is suddenly the hottest thing in the NFL.

See this is why I really don't like NFL scouts, directors of personnel, the criteria for drafting, etc...

They'll drool over, and draft, a 6'5" 250 lbs loser from KSUcks, whose only accomplishment in his entire college career were two victories over Texas and ignore a 6'0" 200 playmaker who stepped in as a starter in late '07 and continued to get better as '08 went along.

When it comes to making plays and leading a team is there seriously anyone who would choose freeman over Ganz?

I hope Ganz turns into one of those quarterbacks that nobody knew about and is suddenly the hottest thing in the NFL.

See this is why I really don't like NFL scouts, directors of personnel, the criteria for drafting, etc...

They'll drool over, and draft, a 6'5" 250 lbs loser from KSUcks, whose only accomplishment in his entire college career were two victories over Texas and ignore a 6'0" 200 playmaker who stepped in as a starter in late '07 and continued to get better as '08 went along.

When it comes to making plays and leading a team is there seriously anyone who would choose freeman over Ganz?

i tell ya i certainly wouldnt, and ive always been of the opinion that you shape your offense around your qb not your qb around your offense.

once the NFL realizes that the spread offense will work at a higher level (which the KC chiefs proved last season) i think you will start to see more and more smaller qbs making it in the NFL because to run the spread you do not need to be 6'5" 250lbs. granted you dont have to be that big to run a WCO or NFL offense either but they sure do like em that big in the NFL for some reason...

Huge difference is the speed and ablitity of they players in the NFL.

Just like how the wildcat formation was unstopable for 2 weeks then everyteam in the NFL game planed to stop it and it was no longer effective. A trick play here and there but no longer the 15-20 snaps that the Dolphin did the first few times. As for KC it worked for a few weeks. Then it quickly fell off. Its just like in college the really good teams can stop the spread. Well the NFL has the best of the best from all the teams. It is the same reason the option would never work as a full time offense. Yes you can trick a team with the option if you run it once in a great while. Just like you can with the wildcat or spread plays.

The reason the like um' big is because the small ones get broken. When a small LB is 240 and runs a 4.5 in the NFL that is quite different from college where most LBs play in the 230-220, or smaller range. DE's that are 300 pounds or close to it. Small, frail QB's dont last in the pros.

In the NFL you have to run the ball, move the chains, chew up the clock, have a strong defense that can stop the run and cover the deep threat, good coaching decisions, a team that stays healthy, and an effective QB that is capable of not just managing the offense, but able to make a winning play in late game situations when its all on the line (The 2:00 minute drill, The drive, etc). The push towards the playoffs is usually bad weather (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NY, Chicago, Philly, New England). Man hockey is a contact sport. The NFL is a collision sport. Weenies go home. Its the best, man!

Of course next to Big Red Saturdays. :)

Huge difference is the speed and ablitity of they players in the NFL.

Just like how the wildcat formation was unstopable for 2 weeks then everyteam in the NFL game planed to stop it and it was no longer effective. A trick play here and there but no longer the 15-20 snaps that the Dolphin did the first few times. As for KC it worked for a few weeks. Then it quickly fell off. Its just like in college the really good teams can stop the spread. Well the NFL has the best of the best from all the teams. It is the same reason the option would never work as a full time offense. Yes you can trick a team with the option if you run it once in a great while. Just like you can with the wildcat or spread plays.

The reason the like um' big is because the small ones get broken. When a small LB is 240 and runs a 4.5 in the NFL that is quite different from college where most LBs play in the 230-220, or smaller range. DE's that are 300 pounds or close to it. Small, frail QB's dont last in the pros.

i disagree about it only working for a few weeks for KC.

the average PPG before they switched to a spread offense was 12.5 through 6 games.

after switching to the spread offense the average PPG was 21.6.

that is almost a 10 point average difference and it was sustained over an extra 4 games.

before moving to the spread KC averaged 123.16 yds passing.

after switching to the spread KC averaged 221.6 yds passing.

that is a gain of 100 yds per game passing by switching to the spread.

im not gonna calculate it but KC also averaged more rushing yards per game after switching to the spread.

you will not convince me that the spread will not work in the NFL because i have seen it work! size is also not quite the issue some make it out to be in the NFL, smaller qbs can typically move better and avoid the pressure so they do not typically get hit as often as the large standing target type qbs.

to prove that point even further drew brees measures in at 6'0" and 201 lbs. he has averaged 17 sacks a season over his career. Ben roethlisberger is considered a very mobile big man qb he is 6'5" and he weighs in at 241 lbs. he has averaged 39 sacks per season over his career.

ganz is almost identical in size to drew brees by the way.

i think i have proved my point...

My answer is in a TEXT I sent!!

i would seriously bet that Brennan get the #3 spot but either Joe or booger daniel are going to get the scout team spot and i think that joe has the edge...

I would agree.

And going by what others are saying, I understand why people would choose Freeman over Ganz (Freeman has better arm strength, he's bigger, he's taller, and is probably more durable). The NFL seems to pick guys that have the body type, and then they hope to change their play in order to make them good quarterbacks.

I think, however, they should choose guys on play making ability and then focus on the physical aspect. Yeah, you can't change height (yet :box ) but you can make a guy bigger or smaller and give him better arm strength.