Would it be appropriate.....

Let us never be so bogged down by tradition that we forget that football is just a game. Games should be fun.

AMEN!! Its a game. Its fun. And for most, its college. Dont take yourself too serious. IF you 40 and think its silly thats fine. But dont gripe at the youngins as they run out there. :thumbs

But remember young guys and gals...when rushing the field, no pushing, wait your turn to jump the rails or climb the FG posts and for gods sake sit down after the opening kick off during the game. "DOWN IN FRONT!!!" - from the old blue hair who sits next to you. ;):lol:

Act like we've been there before.

:yeah

come on, we have a proud rich tradition at the UofN and we dont need to be classless fans who storm a field after a "big win".

I am speaking from experience on this cause in 2002 when we beat A&M in College Station not only was I in hand cuffs but I was beaten up on the field by a cadet and security guard. :box My video clip of me near the 50 yard line was on Omaha channel 2. (i think, which ever station Richard Justice works at)

The University sent a detective to my frat house and showed me some video and needed a statement and wanted to know if I want to press charges. I had better video on a VHS tape of mine that was more detailed than his security camera from the top of the stadium. He took it and said he would be back, he returned and said that another student got stitches in his head from the same guy that assaulted me, we never pressed charges and that is why A&M cadets have to wear zip ties on there swords now at their side.

Anyway, I was wasted with my college buddies at the game and one guy went to jail for bringing beer into the stadium at halftime. Probably would not have done that if I knew I would be in handcuffs later that night. :bang

I did get my 10 minutes of fame from it though so that is ok. :)

Well Kroon...next time you and the Nuers should just stay off the field!

i have no problem with storming the field, but it only should be done after the biggest of victories, it has to be an extraordinary one, if we beat Oklahoma next year, and they are top 10 ranked, i think stormin might not be a bad idea, lets win the games though before we worry about storming the field, GO BIG RED!!!!!!

Your bizarre anecdotal experience at TAMU doesn't change the fact that we have a rich tradition of storming the field in the case of big wins.

Listen, this whole thing is manufactured nonsense. People storm the field. It's dumb and unsafe, but they do it. We'll do it again, and it won't make us "classless" or in any way detract from our rich tradition.

Let us never be so bogged down by tradition that we forget that football is just a game. Games should be fun.

Totally agree with your sentiment regarding "manufactured nonsense". It used to be that if it was truly a season/program altering win, fans stormed the field and took down the goal posts. Now, all it takes to charge the field is for the game to be at night and aired on ESPN/ABC. Its almost like someone is standing there with a "charge the field" sign similar to the studio audience "applause" sign.

Gosh! Husker fans really charged the field after the A&M win! I guess before that, the last time I remember Husker fans charging the field/goal posts coming down was '78 OU. Maybe it also happened in the early '80s, but I just dont remember.

For me its about expecting a win. If you go into a game, against KU/MU for example in early November, with the thought that it would be a big enough win to warrant charging the field, I'll be ashamed at how different our definitiion of a "big" win has become.

Even though winning the North this year would be a big deal, I would like to think we Huskers will get back to the point where that is the minimum expectation and unworthy of delirious/drunken pandemonium.

We've torn down the goal posts several times in the 80s and 90s. They would go down O Street or end up in Broyhill, or somewhere else on campus. I think one of the fraternities had a chunk of goalpost for a while when I was going to school. They talked like they did, anyway.

Again, all this "we're better than that" talk flies in the face of Husker history. We were charging the field during the Scoring Explosion days, during the late 80s, during the Championship Years in the 90s, and we'll do it again this year if we beat Oklahoma. There is nothing dishonorable about it, it's just dangerous and one day something is going to happen to someone when they're not where they should be.

Anyone who rushes the field should be permanently banned from the stadium and if they are season ticket holders, their priveleges should be terminated and given to someone else. Zero tolerance on crap like this is the way to go. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt on the field. You never know who might have a weapon and not quite right in the mind.

Anyone who rushes the field should be permanently banned from the stadium and if they are season ticket holders, their priveleges should be terminated and given to someone else. Zero tolerance on crap like this is the way to go. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt on the field. You never know who might have a weapon and not quite right in the mind.

I understand that it's dangerous when the fans take to the goal posts...but simply rushing the field and celebrating with the team is not that bad. Again...Ohio State fans RIOTED after there NC......I don't see any Husker fans going to those retarded lengths....it's a celebration...not an excuse to be a thug.

I think rushing the field to celebrate should be a given when the team has gone above and beyond and shocked the country in a BIG win....

When "troubled" Oklahoma and Miami players got busted, I don't recall that Husker fans avoided rushing to judgement. I seem to recall them gleefully holding it over the entire program. For years.

Some did. Most just let Nebraska's own experiences with "troubled" players remind them that there are stupid kids in every program, everywhere. Most reacted with typical Nebraska aplomb and moved on.

This would be completely inappropriate. I would be ashamed/embarrassed if Nebraska fans ever rushed the field. I don't care if we were 0-9 going into the CU game and they were number 1 in the country. If we won, we have to remember this is Nebraska and not San Diego State. We have multiple NCs....come on!

We've torn down the goal posts several times in the 80s and 90s. They would go down O Street or end up in Broyhill, or somewhere else on campus. I think one of the fraternities had a chunk of goalpost for a while when I was going to school. They talked like they did, anyway.

Again, all this "we're better than that" talk flies in the face of Husker history. We were charging the field during the Scoring Explosion days, during the late 80s, during the Championship Years in the 90s, and we'll do it again this year if we beat Oklahoma. There is nothing dishonorable about it, it's just dangerous and one day something is going to happen to someone when they're not where they should be.

:yeah

When "troubled" Oklahoma and Miami players got busted, I don't recall that Husker fans avoided rushing to judgement. I seem to recall them gleefully holding it over the entire program. For years.

Some did. Most just let Nebraska's own experiences with "troubled" players remind them that there are stupid kids in every program, everywhere. Most reacted with typical Nebraska aplomb and moved on.

Wrong. There was glee. And jokes. Tons of them. Maybe they were told with aplomb, but Husker fans couldn't get enough about Oklahoma and Miami players getting thrown in jail until.....mmmm....guess it was the mid 1990s when we began winning championships with players of questionable character.

Also, look no farther than this very board when a player on a rival team gets popped for something. Not a lot of aplomb in the house.

Your loyalty is admirable, knapplc, but your hindsight is a little too convenient.