Lincoln: Is it that unattractive to recruits?

We have tradition. We have fans. We have facilities. We have coaches. We're missing consistency and beating good teams but it has to be more than that...Is it beaches? bikinis? girls? clubs?

Is that what it really takes to get players to commit?

Okay, so I'm a little frustrated that we only have four commits and the last couple of days have been a recruiting bummer....So, tell me...Why don't kids want to play for Nebraska?

I understand your frustration, though I try to tell myself they know what they're doing and to give it time. It's still his 2nd year and hopefully he'll pick it up as he goes. I've also heard since it's a small class they're being pretty picky, so hopefully that's part of it as well. I don't think Lincoln is unattractive, though obviously it's no USC with beaches. Still, even places like Gainesville aren't that attractive I don't think - it's Nebraska with palm trees. We'll need some wins, some good publicity, Suh going in the first round, and some good upsets before all this will piece itself together. Do like I do and tell yourself to have patience. There are a lot of good schools with good recruiting that aren't that great of towns.

To me...It's the ugly grey skies.

Although I took my then wife to Lincoln in the ugliest time of year..Winter..and she couldn't get over how clean the "city" looked..but then she did grow up around Columbus, Ohio.

Still..She'd been living in the Phoenix area for a few years..and it's known for being clean looking (at least the surrounding areas where we live).

It's really hard to compete with 300+ sunny days a year for moody people like us.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 2 2009, 02:53 AM) 448558[/snapback]

USC is in the middle of a ghetto. UCLA is a far more appealing school. Still, both of them are more appealing to people looking for the fast money, girls, and ESPN highlights; and that's what today's athletes are all about.

So why has USC owned UCLA the last Decade or so?

The Coaching staff?

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 2 2009, 04:53 AM) 448558[/snapback]

USC is in the middle of a ghetto. UCLA is a far more appealing school. Still, both of them are more appealing to people looking for the fast money, girls, and ESPN highlights; and that's what today's athletes are all about.

spot on!

I understand your frustration, though I try to tell myself they know what they're doing and to give it time. It's still his 2nd year and hopefully he'll pick it up as he goes. I've also heard since it's a small class they're being pretty picky, so hopefully that's part of it as well. I don't think Lincoln is unattractive, though obviously it's no USC with beaches. Still, even places like Gainesville aren't that attractive I don't think - it's Nebraska with palm trees. We'll need some wins, some good publicity, Suh going in the first round, and some good upsets before all this will piece itself together. Do like I do and tell yourself to have patience. There are a lot of good schools with good recruiting that aren't that great of towns.

Hopefully we're not picky to the point of striking out on all our plan A kids, and then having kids we'd v previously tunred away already found a home. Just sayin.

This post is in no way bashing Lincoln or NE at all. In fact I will be leaving to attend UNL in 18 days to start my edumacation there.

But think about it. Many of the big name kids we recruit come from Texas, Florida and Cali. Most of those kids have lived there their whole lives and some have never seen snow. When the name Nebraska pops into their heads unfortunately cornfields and snow are the first thing that comes to mind. Granted Lincoln is much more that cornfields and cold weather, but sometimes they don't know that.

I am the same age as these kids and I have been a husker fan my whole life. I grew up in Texas then moved to Missouri. But, the earliest I can remember in my memory was the Eric Crouch days. I dont remember watching us win any Championships because at the time I was around 5, 6, and 8 years old. I do however remember losing to Miami in 01.

My point is that if me, a husker fan, only saw the huskers dominate for a few years in my life, then theres no way any of the recruits from this year or the next few years have watched NU football the way we used to be, when we dominated people. They don't realize how strong our tradition is as a program.

IMO, the first step to signing these guys is getting these recruits up to Lincoln, especially in the warmer months. Once they see what we are all about and see our fan support they will realize that we are not only a college football town, but we are a college football state. It's a way of life in NE. This may sound obvious but when we start to compete for the Big12 title every year, not just the north title, that's when we will start to gain more respect as team from these recruits. Once we beat a team like UT or OU in the big 12 championship recruits will start taking notice.

But until then all we can do is try to get the kids up here to see what we are all about.

We have tradition. We have fans. We have facilities. We have coaches. We're missing consistency and beating good teams but it has to be more than that...Is it beaches? bikinis? girls? clubs?

Is that what it really takes to get players to commit?

Okay, so I'm a little frustrated that we only have four commits and the last couple of days have been a recruiting bummer....So, tell me...Why don't kids want to play for Nebraska?

A wide receiver from Seattle, Bostick I think, said one of the things that fascinated him about Lincoln was on his recruiting trip, on the drive from the airport to the university the traffic lights were syncronized. He was amazed at the lack of stop and go driving. Granted it was the 80s, I think, but you just don't know what will entice or turn off a recruit.

i grew up in Lincoln and graduated from NU. honestly, there is nothing real attractive about the area, good place to be from and raise a family, but the area has very little to offer to impressionable kids wanting to play football here...it is just a fact, the coaches and the fan base and game day are awesome, but after the lights go out, that's about it.

A wide receiver from Seattle, Bostick I think, said one of the things that fascinated him about Lincoln was on his recruiting trip, on the drive from the airport to the university the traffic lights were syncronized. He was amazed at the lack of stop and go driving. Granted it was the 80s, I think, but you just don't know what will entice or turn off a recruit.

I thought about moving to Albuquerque once..but something about the place really bothered me.

Almost like the whole place had once been a burial ground or something..Or it could've been because Buggs Bunny was always making a wrong turn there..But I really think it might be the streets being narrower than what I've gotten used to out here.

Q29JSyIVd7E

Xbs7f72Srok

i grew up in Lincoln and graduated from NU. honestly, there is nothing real attractive about the area, good place to be from and raise a family, but the area has very little to offer to impressionable kids wanting to play football here...it is just a fact, the coaches and the fan base and game day are awesome, but after the lights go out, that's about it.

Agree 100%.....Lincoln is quite boring. Downtown bars are the main attraction and it's pretty much off limits to football players.

I love lincoln, thats why I live here obviously. Although I have noticed that there is absolutely NOTHING to do during the summer, or pretty much once football is over. Lincoln kinda turns into a dull regular small city. During football season everyone seems to be real excited everywhere I go, talking about the football team etc....but I never go anywhere after football season is over and hear people excited about wrestling or basketball, during the spring it doesn't help that the baseball team is struggling either.

Now i'm not suggesting that some kids don't come here because of the other main sports programs being sub par, but is it out of the question? I don't really know how a kid thinks. I just know that if it was me and I had to chose between Nebraska and Florida. I wouldn't never base MY decision off of how great the team USED to be. Its all about winning in my mind, and Nebraska will do that alot soon, but these kids dont' see it yet.

• 1 year later...

Nebraskas weather is unattractive to some, other than that I cant see how our campus would be anything but mindblowing along with the athletic facilities.

Really? It's a nice enough campus, and it's neater now than back when I was in school, but mindblowing? I don't see what would make it so. Mindblowing is something like Duke, or what little I saw of UCLA a few years ago. I do like the UNL campus better than Texas's, though.