Ron Kellogg Jr. and Taylor Martinez

Apathy

Martinez is a great athlete, but does not have the arm strength to successfully complete many of the throws in the current system.

Let's just hope Spano's injury is not serious and Lee is able to remain healthy for the entire season.

Martinez has the arm strength, he just has a horrid throwing motion.

Although I will give the guy credit. I saw a few clips of him throwing and he has started to correct his almost underhanded sidearm from the hip release. Yeah, I didn't know what to call it, honestly. :lol:

But the bad thing now with Taylor is that his throwing motion almost looks robotic. It's not fluid and looks like he thinks about it too much in his throws.

Guy COULD be a good QB, but like Green, still needs alot of work. LTW should get all the PT after Lee.

Although I will give the guy credit. I saw a few clips of him throwing and he has started to correct his almost underhanded sidearm from the hip release. Yeah, I didn't know what to call it, honestly. :lol:

I saw some clips of Martinez' throwing motion too, and I was thinking, "How did this kid get player of the year in California with that motion?" Must be because of his feet, which isn't a bad thing, but man... it wasn't what we're used to seeing.

And I agree - LTW should be getting all the reps behind ZLee.

My only addition on Kellogg, Jr is that he was MVP at the 2008 QB camp, also attended by Cody Green (still hampered at the time by his ankle injury). QB Camp MVP = same honors as our current QB verbal, Gabbert.

Here's an old article: http://www.journalstar.com/sports/football...19595d3f66.html

A kid from little known Goodland, KS once won this award when TO was coaching. Because of it, he was offered a scholly. He past up walking on at KU to play basketball and many other scholarships to play other places. And, the rest is history.

But the bad thing now with Taylor is that his throwing motion almost looks robotic. It's not fluid and looks like he thinks about it too much in his throws.

Guy COULD be a good QB, but like Green, still needs alot of work. LTW should get all the PT after Lee.

I saw lots of his film and I noticed the ball floats alot when he's throwing from the pocket to the sideline, which tells me his arm is not that strong.

I saw lots of his film and I noticed the ball floats alot when he's throwing from the pocket to the sideline, which tells me his arm is not that strong.

Deception of his throwing motion. Where Taylor does not routinely step into his throws to get that extra added torque, the ball looks like it comes out soft. It does not though, at all. Quite a few of Martinez's WRs from high school talked about Taylor needing to calm down on some throws to give them a better shot at catching it.

I'll be the first to hop all over Taylor as a QB as people know. :) But the one thing I will give the kid credit for is a strong arm.

First of all, we've just put a major jinx on Lee, since we've opened up this discussion. If it happens, which I'm hopeful it won't, LTW should and will be the starter in the wake of very unwanted circumstances. He has good arm strength, is a big kid, and hopefully can scoot around out there.

Option attack?

Should and WILL??? Explain how you know that? Hell, saying that you think something should happen is completely different than saying that something will happen. JGS said that KU "will" beat USF last year... oh wait.... Now, as of right now LaTravis would be the backup should something happen to Lee.. LT is a good kid.. really enjoyable, I have nothing against him.. But if Green is the better player why shouldn't he play? If it's because he's not ready then he's not the better player, that'd be better talent. The better player WILL play.. that's about all we know WILL happen right now..

Should and will is saying a lot for someone that spent the majority of his college career at LB, his high school career in an option offense that wasn't throwing the ball, and still is trying to be reigned in by the coaches when it comes to his touch and pass accuracy.

Yeah the kid has a hell of an arm, yes he is an athlete, but he has just as far if not more to go than Cody Green. Yes, thinking about the "future" is nice but the future won't help you beat a likes of Oklahoma let alone Mizzou or KU if the dreaded "DOOMSDAY INJURY SCENARIO" would occur. If Cody or whomever, is deemed the best option at #2 QB the coaches will know and probably will be more concerned about winning that weeks game than 2012.

Whoever comes out of the fight will have to be able to throw the pill consistently to take the pressure of our RB's having to run against a stacked box. And as far as Martinez arm strength questions, the kid has an arm and I recall a very weak armed QB that may have won the Big XII offensive POY, that was very accurate and tough as hell.

As i said before, Spano's injury is a blow for the depth chart. Lee is ready to start and i think he can stay healthly, Washington grasped the offense pretty quickly by the time the spring game came around and executed the offense well. I would imagine if he kept the same pace and practiced with the guys as much as he did prior to the spring game, i have very good confidence that he can handle the 2nd string job.

Now, the chances of both Lee and Washington getting injured is very rare, and the chances of one of them going down for the season like Spano is even more rare. But should the worse come, my gut feeling tells me our season is screwed. Thats not a lack of faith in the QB's talent, but rather the experience of the newer QB's. I mean lets face the music, none of the QB's we have played in a Division A game or started against a ranked team. The QB situation was already in a knot due to the fact that we dont have an experienced QB starting this year.

I think that both Kellog Jr. and Martinez are in the same boat as Green, they havent spent enough time with the team to learn the offense or to see it in action during the season. Now as far as Green's RS goes, well, truthfully i have faith in both Lee and Washington that they can stay healthy and lead us through the season without any problems at all. I'll respect the coaches decision with Green no matter what it is.

In anycase, i said this before when it was mention that Spano was back. I felt that Spano will be a backup his entire career with Nebraska, he wont beat out Washington for the 2nd string spot and when Lee and Washinton are gone, Green is going to take over and Spano will still backup, and thats if Kellogg or Martinez or any other QB we recruit doesnt outshine him. Im sorry Spano, your doomed to be a backup your entire career, bud. :)

I just don't see Green burning a RS unless Zac gets injured. If that where the case, then I'm sure coach wouldn't hasitate to get the next best guy on the field. I've always thought the long term plan would be to RS Green so he'd have 3 seasons post Zac Lee. Kellogg, Martinez, or Washington could all afford to and would probably jump at the chance to give up a year to have a shot at the job.

That having been said, the World Herald says Green was seen getting extra tutorial with Watson, Beck and Cotton after pratice Friday. So, take that for whatever it's worth.

I just don't see Green burning a RS unless Zac gets injured. If that where the case, then I'm sure coach wouldn't hasitate to get the next best guy on the field. I've always thought the long term plan would be to RS Green so he'd have 3 seasons post Zac Lee. Kellogg, Martinez, or Washington could all afford to and would probably jump at the chance to give up a year to have a shot at the job.

That having been said, the World Herald says Green was seen getting extra tutorial with Watson, Beck and Cotton after pratice Friday. So, take that for whatever it's worth.

If Green is as good as advertised, and can make 2nd QB, no redshirt, Tyler Gabbert is coming next year, I look for Bo to keep the QB pipeline going. The one thing that bothers me is that Lee has no game minutes,lets see what happens the first game. Everybody is putting a lot of faith in him, when he was behind the Yale QB last year, I mean Witt. And he really looked bad, when he got in the game.