The Turning Point

mwj98

Friends have asked me what my thoughts were on last year's season. I immediately talked about the intensity and effort from last year's team. We may not have had the best athletes, but we had solid effort.

For the room....If you look back on last year, what game would you say helped the huskers get back on track? Or, do you think the huskers will continue to suffer from lopsided loses? (i.e. Oklahoma 08).

To me, after the OU game, everything looked and felt a little different. Maybe I am drinking too much kool-aid. I honestly think we will upset VTech and OU. The team has bought into Pelini and they are starting to respond.

Your thoughts.......

I would say the turn around last season came late in the MU game and materialized In Lubbock. That's where this team seemed to find its identity.

I also think we have a great shot at upsetting VT in their house, but OU....not.

Seems about right there. OU was on a mission and were on the biggest roll in the history of the NCAA. I never thought we were going to lose anygame but that one after MU.

As far as VT, I think we can do that. OU is going to depend on how the rest of the season unfolds. If we go into that game undefeated or one loss, confidence will be high. I will tell you this, it won't be as lopsided as last year.

You know, last week, i decided to go back and look over the highlights, play summaries, and qoutes from last seasons game. I came to realize we had alot of potential last year to do better than what we actually did, when we lost last year, with the exception of two games (OU and MU), we lost by a close margin looking at who we played. I mean last year, i dont think anyone thought we would lose by 5 to VT. Same goes for TTU, who beat Texas in a late TD shocker, we took them to overtime. Last years problem was execution and mental mistakes, our execution got better as the season went on.

This season, if we can do better than what we did last year, meaning we can beat VT or come close again, beat Mizzou, play a better game against OU, and make it to the Big 12 Championship, it will confirm that NU has reached the turning point.

It seemed as if last year, we usually came back late in the game and won. We never really seemed to come out strong, our offense came out in the 2nd half to play football rather than in the beginning of game. Anyone else agree with that?

Friends have asked me what my thoughts were on last year's season. I immediately talked about the intensity and effort from last year's team. We may not have had the best athletes, but we had solid effort.

For the room....If you look back on last year, what game would you say helped the huskers get back on track? Or, do you think the huskers will continue to suffer from lopsided loses? (i.e. Oklahoma 08).

To me, after the OU game, everything looked and felt a little different. Maybe I am drinking too much kool-aid. I honestly think we will upset VTech and OU. The team has bought into Pelini and they are starting to respond.

Your thoughts.......

Congrats on the #300 milestone.

If we beat either one, or if we show even competitive with OU I will drink gallons of the Kool Aid.

Two top ten teams in one year and we havent't beaten one on the road since 97 minus Bowl games, with a 3rd string QB from last year starting. That is a lot of faith my Husker brother.

Tough nut to crack.

My guess we are not there yet, hope you are right though, but I would not go betting the house on it I were you.

My thoughts on the matter are that we still have yet to see a turning point. The team did well down the stretch last year, with the exception of 1 quarter in Norman, but I was left wanting and needing to see a little more. They were just learning how to really practice and really play, so I was very pleased with the progress. But, nothing was really impressive to me at all.

However, I am expecting even more progress this year, regardless of wins and losses. It seems like every player report I see or hear has them saying all the right things and in the right ways. The attitudes and culture are rapidly changing for the better and I can't wait to see how it all plays out on the field this year. Three weeks to go and that is just too long! Even as a kid around Christmas, it was never this painful waiting 3 weeks to open presents.

Now pass me the damned kool-aid and keep it flowing. :koolaid2:

If we beat either one, or if we show even competitive with OU I will drink gallons of the Kool Aid.

Two top ten teams in one year and we havent't beaten one on the road since 97 minus Bowl games, with a 3rd string QB from last year starting. That is a lot of faith my Husker brother.

Tough nut to crack.

My guess we are not there yet, hope you are right though, but I would not go betting the house on it I were you.

I tend to agree..

We will probably rank better in most the Defensive categories at the end of next season, and probably rank about the same in the Offensive categories...But I have a feeling that won't necessarily translate to more wins.

Hopefully that won't make many of us turn against this coaching staff..It's a long process.

A win at VT - a ranked team on the road - would be a turning point. Today, I give us a 50-50 shot of winning there.

If we win decisively there (by 17 or more), we'll be close to being in the top 10. That said, the momentum would have to be carried through into Big XII play.

Have to beat MU and then at least be competitive with OU in Lincoln. Both are entirely do-able. If we do beat OU, I'd want Texas in the CC game.

Of course, we can't snooze and must TCOB (all you Elvis fans will get that) vs. Baylor, KU, etc.

wow, too early to judge this team, lots of things have changed since last year, will just have to wait and see.....the real turning point will be somewhere in this season, not the last one.

I think it depends.. If we stick with this ball control offense and begin to dominate with it, I think you can look back to last season and see that as the turning point.. If we fall flat on our faces with it, then maybe the turning point has yet to come.. It really all depends still...

I'd say we reach a turning-point when we are competitive in each game, win the ones we should win, and quit blowing our legs off missed assignments, turnovers, and penalties. A hardnosed team that hustles and executes should improve on our win total and take the North, I'll take that.

I'd say next year is when we could make that turn into major player status.