The Turning Point

mwj98

The turning point hasn't happened yet... THey have to beat who they are supposed to plus VT or OU

agreed. I just want this team to start busting heads, and I think they are very close. I really cannot wait to see the first game of the season to see the differences between this year and last year. Come on Sept. 5!!!!!

Turning point?

Its really surprising to me that after a mediocre 9 - 4 season everyone is jumping up a down claiming NU is back. If you break down the record 3 of the nine wins were weak non conference opponents. The four loses that NU had were to teams that finished the season with over 10 wins. Lastly in conference NU finished 5 - 3. I think it pathetic that people held that up as a banner. "We tied for the Big 12 North" big deal.

So to me the turning point has not occurred. In order for NU to be back they have to beat one of the four digit win teams from last year out of VT, Missouri, TT, or Oklahoma.

In closing, looking ahead to the VT game which people now seem to think there is an edge.

1) Beamer ball will be in full effect and they will dominate specials teams.

2) Running back by committee will be affective as they still have Tyrod Taylor.

3) Baylor will be watching the Mr. Taylor led offense closely and if VT is successful expect to see a carbon copy in a Griffin led bears offense.

Turning point?

Its really surprising to me that after a mediocre 9 - 4 season everyone is jumping up a down claiming NU is back. If you break down the record 3 of the nine wins were weak non conference opponents. The four loses that NU had were to teams that finished the season with over 10 wins. Lastly in conference NU finished 5 - 3. I think it pathetic that people held that up as a banner. "We tied for the Big 12 North" big deal.

So to me the turning point has not occurred. In order for NU to be back they have to beat one of the four digit win teams from last year out of VT, Missouri, TT, or Oklahoma.

In closing, looking ahead to the VT game which people now seem to think there is an edge.

3) Baylor will be watching the Mr. Taylor led offense closely and if VT is successful expect to see a carbon copy in a Griffin led bears offense.

What is a "four digit win team"?

Aren't you Mr. Sunshine? So you think if we beat VT, Mizzou, TTech, or OU, we'll be back? I'm pretty sure we'll beat at least one of those teams this year.

We're having problems in this thread because everyone is using a different definition of what a "turning point" is. We need to narrow down the cliches better.

Under Callahan, we were heading in the wrong direction.

Firing Callahan helped stop the bleeding.

Bringing in Bo changed the culture of the program.

Bo's systems are a step in the right direction.

Although we're heading in the right direction, we still have a long way to go.

Turning point?

I agree somewhat with what you are saying. But to me maybe the turning point was a new regime. In callahan's last year to team quit. We hit bottom. So, I don't think we are jumping up and down. Maybe cautiously optimistic.

We're having problems in this thread because everyone is using a different definition of what a "turning point" is. We need to narrow down the cliches better.

Under Callahan, we were heading in the wrong direction.

Firing Callahan helped stop the bleeding.

Bringing in Bo changed the culture of the program.

Bo's systems are a step in the right direction.

Although we're heading in the right direction, we still have a long way to go.

You said what I was thinking. "Turning point"

I know it's painfull and hard to believe but take a look and the dismal Calacloz years.... Even though we are not where we want to be, I'd take last year over the dark days. There has deffinately been a turn around. Again, I think and expect us to get better but I don't feel like we are giving up and laying down. You have to start somewhere and it has begun.

:koolaid2:

The future is looking bright.

Turning point?

You are saying 9-4 is a mediocre season....it would be if we had gone 11-2 or 10-3 in previous seasons...but in the last five years NU has gone...5-6, 8-4,9-5,5-7, & 9-4.

So a 9-4 is a great step up!

When we are winning the north every year, playing in a BCS game every other year, and playing for a National Championship every 4 - 5 years..then yes...we will be disgusted by 9-4...but for now..I'll take it...and I think most of us here would agree.

Oh, and no one here is psyched that we tied for the north...no one. :woo

Turning point in management and direction yes.

In the program no. Tom can not play the games, nor will he coach them.

Bo has to do it and he has not done it yet.

We won what we should have, lost what most expected us to.

You can be all fuzzy and warm over the 9-4 season. But as far as it meaning any move towards the past, not so much. Better than the year before, but scoreboard is what is important, no one remembers a team that plays hard and loses.

He has the opportunity this year, but only with a win over VaTech or Oklahoma, and winning the North.

Wins over Missouri or Texas Tech mean nothing this year as both are projected to be down. Kansas if they play as they have the last two years, and beating them at home, will show a slight movement I think.

We are not winning or turning the corner on recruiting it appears.

I listen to rivals every singe morning and I never hear of Nebraska getting top rated players. Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas every single day it seems.

Until our recruiting is on a national level, it will be hard to get back to where we want to go.

It's reasonable to expect a staged recovery more than a turnaround in a specific time frame. So many things were broken, and badly so, during 2004-2007 that all the damage will take a lot of time to fix. And some of it may never be fixed.

You have to look at this turnaround like an inverted pyramid. You have to have a solid base first thing or nothing else will come around. Bo could have started building that base in several different areas. He chose to work with the guys he has, and instill in them a work ethic and a mindset that better reflects what we, as fans, expect. That’s a pretty solid basis to start from.

Out of that comes better competition. Out of that comes winning. Out of that comes recruiting. Once all steps are in place, then you start looking at how high you can take that model.

We’ve established a solid base so far. We’ve made some strides in competing, and we’ve made some strides in winning. We haven’t accomplished enough yet to make recruiting come around where everyone wants it, but if we keep doing what we’re doing, eventually recruiting will come around.

As a wise man once said, “You and I’ve got what it takes to make it. We won’t fake it… All we need is just a little patience.”

You can be all fuzzy and warm over the 9-4 season. But as far as it meaning any move towards the past, not so much. Better than the year before, but scoreboard is what is important, no one remembers a team that plays hard and loses.

He has the opportunity this year, but only with a win over VaTech or Oklahoma, and winning the North.

Wins over Missouri or Texas Tech mean nothing this year as both are projected to be down. Kansas if they play as they have the last two years, and beating them at home, will show a slight movement I think.

I listen to rivals every singe morning and I never hear of Nebraska getting top rated players. Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas every single day it seems.

Until our recruiting is on a national level, it will be hard to get back to where we want to go.

as usual, skers hits it on the head....not much else can be said....yet.

Hit the nail right on the head!

The turning point for Nebraska - at least in my opinion - would be where things in the program started to get better and head in the right direction. A turning point does not necessarily imply total rebuilding and a return to normalcy.

Therefore, I would argue the turning point was when Pelini lead his team to a 9-4 season.

9-4 > 5-7, so therefore, the program is heading in the right direction and therefore has reached its turning point.

Now, whether Pelini can build upon this turning point this season will be another question and one that I am anxious to find an answer to...