Chances of winning the Big XII North

bhunt7

Agree with those who stressed defense. We're going to stay in more games with a strong defense than a strong running game.

We just have to hope Helu stays healthy. No matter how talented our baby backs are, they're still babies.

:yeah But I think T-REX will Put up at some inpressive numberS given the opportunity.... history tells the story he has all the tools and know he has a top notch staff refining those talents.

DAMMIT IM STILL STOKED !!! NORTH WILL BE OURS TO LOOSE !! GO BLACKSHIRTS!

:restore

A loss of someone like Q is always an issue, and I don't want to minimze it - but the true measure of any team is the ability to overcome adversity. Virutally all teams have player losses during the year, albeit mostly due to injury.

This is, in a way, a good thing. It reinforces Bo's message, it gives the team a chance to grow from adversity, and it will make winning the Big XII North that much sweeter.

A loss of someone like Q is always an issue, and I don't want to minimze it - but the true measure of any team is the ability to overcome adversity. Virutally all teams have player losses during the year, albeit mostly due to injury.

This is, in a way, a good thing. It reinforces Bo's message, it gives the team a chance to grow from adversity, and it will make winning the Big XII North that much sweeter.

:yeah

:clap

The Yankees pay huge contracts every year, highest in the MLB...and guess what...they don't win the World Series. Same thing the NY Rangers did in the NHL before the salary cap...lots of stars, and they couldn't even make the playoffs. Why? Egos. Players who are all about themselves and think they're above the team. No chemistry. Seeing something here? Yeah, that's pro league, but Nebraska is not above this mentality. In football, you damn-well better believe in the guy you're lining up beside before believing in yourself if you expect something from your team. This isn't golf. Bo has it right as far as being committed. Tom Osborne showed that guys who weren't 5-stars who were willing to run through walls for not only their coach, but for their teammates, could be more valuable than the egos who wanted to individually stand out to make the money in the pros.

And yes...I'm a Yankees fan. ;)

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to say Q is just a back up RB who only rushed 500 yards is a little disingenuous. It hurts, and it hurts bad. and if H. gets injured at some point this season--even if only for a game--it is going to hurt really bad.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm not saying I'm throwing away my tickets. I'm saying that having a really strong backfield was our main strategy for some games this year. Good defense and a backfield that can dominate wins some games. Helu is the man, but now he is the only man.

Anyone here want to take bets that both Helu and Lee stay at 100%all season? Anyone feel like our backups for those positions are ready to be big 12 starters?

Look, one man doesn't make a team--but for the same people who have been quick to report that our backfield is going to dominate to now pretend like it is no big deal is a little bit much for me to take--and I take a pull from the kool-aid as much as anyone else. I just may be adding some jack daniels to mine.

Totally agree. Quentin was shaping up to be one of our top offensive weapons. I think this is a serious blow to our north title hopes. We still have a good chance, but it just got that much more unlikely. On the other hand, I think Burkhead has better potential than Quentin, and I for one am very excited to see him, I wish it weren't under these circumstances however. I think Rex should be a damn fine player for us by the time he is done here.

I honestly feel the chances of the Big 12 North are equally the same as they were before.

Does anyone recall the situation around DeAngelo Evans? I had serious concerns then, too. I was extremely worried about that loss and especially how the team would handle the distraction of the situation. And yet, somehow that worked out pretty well.

I'm not trying to compare the two situations since they are completely different times and circumstances. However, the point is we've lost a major starter and it seemed to actually strengthen the team's resolve. Will that happen with the 2009 Huskers? One can only hope!

I honestly feel the chances of the Big 12 North are equally the same as they were before.

Does anyone recall the situation around DeAngelo Evans? I had serious concerns then, too. I was extremely worried about that loss and especially how the team would handle the distraction of the situation. And yet, somehow that worked out pretty well.

I'm not trying to compare the two situations since they are completely different times and circumstances. However, the point is we've lost a major starter and it seemed to actually strengthen the team's resolve. Will that happen with the 2009 Huskers? One can only hope!

Your optimism isn't needed, required or wanted here...move along. :laughpound

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Oh for God's sakes it is one player. That only rushed for 505 yards.

WE have the same chance as we had this morning.

One second string back does not make or break the season.

It means we will lose to Texas Tech this season.

Don't ask for my source..I'm sworn to secrecy!

But...Really..Is the B-12N our only goal?

We might still be a Favourite to some, but I was really looking forward to the bigger/faster baller Q was reported to have become over the Summer...Maybe speed up our return to a more smashmouth brand of Offense and help keep Helu healthy for a full season.

Would we have still beaten Miami in that one '94? Orange Bowl without Cory Schlesinger scoring late on the two Fullback traps?

We have quite a few nifty RBs chomping at the bit..but I doubt any near the bruiser Q was..and maybe one less thing the other Defensive Coordinators will have to plan for.

We probably punt more on fourth and 2...or should.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Oh for God's sakes it is one player. That only rushed for 505 yards.

WE have the same chance as we had this morning.

One second string back does not make or break the season.

It means we will lose to Texas Tech this season.

Don't ask for my source..I'm sworn to secrecy!

But...Really..Is the B-12N our only goal?

We might still be a Favourite to some, but I was really looking forward to the bigger/faster baller Q was reported to have become over the Summer...Maybe speed up our return to a more smashmouth brand of Offense and help keep Helu healthy for a full season.

Would we have still beaten Miami in that one '94? Orange Bowl without Cory Schlesinger scoring late on the two Fullback traps?

We have quite a few nifty RBs chomping at the bit..but I doubt any near the bruiser Q was..and maybe one less thing the other Defensive Coordinators will have to plan for.

We probably punt more on fourth and 2...or should.

We will be just fine on offense, as long as Lee preforms.

Defense will be the key to getting back to the Big 12 Championship Game

I look for big things out of the blackshirts this year.

The Huskers were never going to win the Big 12 North this year...Iowa State has that wrapped up. You all were playing for 2nd... <_<

Here's what I've been hearing over in Ames the last couple of days:

First...QC should immediately contact Kirk Ferentz at Iowa about joining the Hawkeyes. They need another Shonn Green and are a lot more lenient about what constitutes an offense that could get you kicked off the team. Short of that...QC should immediately transfer to UNI as Farley has a pretty good record of taking former Nebraska players and turning them into productive football players on the DII level.

Listening to some conversation from the D-Line for ISU, they are glad Castille is gone because, regardless of his ability to hang onto the ball, apparently he hit you like a brick while lead blocking. The talk of the LB's and DL is that Nebraska isn't going to miss Q nearly so much for his running as they are his protection for a new QB. I'm hoping someone steps up...THOSE guys are hoping no one does. But, I guess when it comes time to decide between getting your butt wiped out on a trap or stomping some inexperienced back, I can see their point.

Can't minimize the guy's loss. You don't just lose 500+ yards but you lose everything else the guy had to offer...including experience and the fact that opposing players just didn't like getting hit by him. It'll hurt and really might effect the outcome of a season where one win or loss could make the difference.