Do we have too many screens?

tmfr15

Watching the Dallas Cowboys open their new stadium and was struck by this question. Can video go too far in a stadium?

We all like a little replay of the plays, no question, but when the whole stadium is awash in digital imagery, does it take away from the game atmosphere?

The Dallas screen blocked a punt, an event which everyone should have seen coming because of the screen's location.

When these screens began, there was one, or two in most stadiums. The Huskers installed two more and ribbon boards in the off season. We now have four screens and massive jumbo-tron and ribbon boards. You couldn't be at the game without being swallowed up by this stuff.

I am a big tunnel walk fan, and I know the new screens will enhance the tunnel walk, but have the Huskers gone too far. Granted, none of our screens can interfere with the game from a physical standpoint, but it just seems like a little much at times.

That screen in Dallas is ridiculous. If you're not sitting in the lower two tiers, that's all you can see. A person's field of vision is probably half eaten up by this thing, and with the amount of stuff they have going on up there, it seemed really distracting the other night. Why would you want to pay $50 to watch TV?

I usually sit in the North end zone at Memorial Stadium, so I don't get too caught up in the jumbotron we have. I think we're close to the limit of multimedia at the stadium, though. Much more and we're going to have overkill. The ribbons look good, and they're a good addition, and I can see why they put in the new screens, since sitting in the North, you can't see the jumbo screen, but I think we need to stop there.

If the screens effect the game what so ever, ie: Cowboys mega tron blocking punts, then its to far. That is just ridiculous actually. I hope it doesn't change our game down there for the Big 12 Championship this year.

Our stadium is fine, I love the screens! Can't wait for the new ribbon boards, although the stadium looks really dull on the east side now when those screens aren't on, but obviously they'll be on gameday so who cares!!

12 days!!!!!

I heard about this on Saturday because Dallas played this past Friday and according to Jerry Jones they're not going to higher the big screens because Jerry Jones said that the punter intentionally punted the ball to hit the screen.

Jerry Jones said that the punter punted the ball straight up instead of at an angle like you should and a writer with Yahoo or journalist agreed with Jerry's statement. I was thinking about the act same thing with the screens with a ball making contact with it when they did a special on E60 last week about the new stadium.

Personally I think that the screens should've been raised before any game was played in there and now that the screens are causing problems and blocking kicks I think that they should raise the screens now

I thought it was 85' and it's at 90'. They are saying that it would cost 2 million if the league says he has to move it. That thing is just too big and it does distract fans. I think Jones did this simply because he could, he likes to out do everyone else. I think it's gaudy myself and i'm also a Cowboys fan. He really needs to think about things like this before doing it.

Factoid. NFL height requirement for arenas is 90ft. Jerryworld Screen 93ft. It's only an issue because punter kicked ball 100ft up. Think about that, 100 ft.....

Anyone know how high Cook Pavillion is?

I remember rehabbing my shoulder and throwing the football inside with my buddy..and we couldn't resist punting the ball against the roof.

I'm not surprised the punter kicked it to the screen on purpose...but knowing Jerry..It's probably big enough to have some gravitational pull.

Did anybody else see the ESPN interview with the Colt's owner? He said that when the Colts built their new stadium a few years ago, they experimented with putting the screens in the middle. But they put up some sort of temporary fixture and let their punter punt for a while. The punter told them it would get in the way occasionally, so they put the boards on the sides of the stadium instead. I don't know about the Dallas situation, but you've got to appreciate the Colts as a team and owner willing to take the extra step to guarantee the quality of the sport and not just the biggest, flashiest, most modern things.

I'm not surprised the punter kicked it to the screen on purpose...but knowing Jerry..It's probably big enough to have some gravitational pull.

Actually, that gravitational pull you're referencing is merely Jerry Jones ego.

And with the size of that screen he's obviously overcompensating for a severe deficiency in some other area.

Actually, that gravitational pull you're referencing is merely Jerry Jones ego.

And with the size of that screen he's obviously overcompensating for a severe deficiency in some other area.

:clap 2 points Jen. HILARIOUS!!!

I thought it was 85' and it's at 90'. They are saying that it would cost 2 million if the league says he has to move it. That thing is just too big and it does distract fans. I think Jones did this simply because he could, he likes to out do everyone else. I think it's gaudy myself and i'm also a Cowboys fan. He really needs to think about things like this before doing it.

:yeah