Cody Green's brilliant call

np_husker

Green's 'brilliant' call

Posted by: Steve Sipple on September 2, 2009 at 9:03AM CST

Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson had some things to say to freshman quarterback Cody Green as they walked off the practice field Tuesday.

Some pleasant things.

"I just told him he's done more than any freshman I've ever had," Watson said. "Really, he has. We've put more on him, and he's really done well. He's where he should be knowledge-wise. He has to perfect the other things."

In his Tuesday press conference, Bo Pelini referred to a decision Green made at the line of scrimmage during Monday's practice. Bo was impressed.

Long story short, the defense showed a blitz look, Watson said. Green audibled accordingly and took advantage of the defense. It was a "brilliant" call, Watson said.

"A really poised guy did that," Watson said. "But he's a young guy. He still has speed bumps. He had some (Tuesday). That's just where he's at."

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extr...liant_call.html

OK, he made a "brilliant" call, according to Sipple. That's great, but let's not forget he's still a Freshman making Freshman mistakes, too:

"A really poised guy did that," Watson said. "But he's a young guy. He still has speed bumps. He had some (Tuesday). That's just where he's at."

You're going to take the good with the bad with Green. Hopefully there's more good than bad. But let's not name him our starter quite yet when we've got a guy with college-level experience already running the show.

Let's at the very least give ZLee the FAU game before calling for Green to come in. Can we hold off that long?

OK, he made a "brilliant" call, according to Sipple. That's great, but let's not forget he's still a Freshman making Freshman mistakes, too:

You're going to take the good with the bad with Green. Hopefully there's more good than bad. But let's not name him our starter quite yet when we've got a guy with college-level experience already running the show.

Let's at the very least give ZLee the FAU game before calling for Green to come in. Can we hold off that long?

Agreed. I think the important thing to realize is that Watson was simply saying he made a great call for how young he is. What Green did is probably some Zac does on a consistent basis. If that wasn't the case, the qb battle between the two would be closer than it is. If Zac Lee is the clear cut starter, obviously he's been doing a lot of great things in practice.

Im glad to hear he is doin well and picking things up in Watsons O. However it was only one play in practice. I do think Green is out bright future, but i have a feeling that Lee will impress this year and really come into his own and continue to start next year also.

Ideally it would be nice if Green could redshirt this year and be our three year starter. I have nothing against the best player playing, or freshmen playing so if Lee cant hack it/gets injured then we will have the future starting for 4 years!

This is my opinion, take it for what its worth. Saturday cant come soon enough so we can all stop specualting and get a look of our huskers on the feild.

GBR

UGH!

What makes people think that Cody Green is even close to Zac Lee? Because he made a good play in practice? Rex Burkhead has been ripping it up in practice yet nobody says he is going to overtake Roy Helu. The only thing that any of the articles ever say is that Green is the top back-up; they never say he is pushing Lee for the starter spot. Let’s see what they can both do during a game before we start anointing Green the second coming of Tommie Frazier or whoever else people are throwing out there.

“I have tremendous confidence in Zac,” Pelini said. “As far as Zac, I feel confident in what he’s ready to do. I probably have more anxiety about other positions than Zac. I know he’s not going to play perfect, but I hope he does. I’m not telling Zac he has to go win the football game by himself.”

Pelini was pleased with how Lee performed in preseason camp, noting that Lee has made better decisions. In fact, Pelini has been impressed by the quarterback position as a whole, and how offensive coordinator Shawn Watson prepares the quarterbacks.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...2a276835126.txt

UGH!

What makes people think that Cody Green is even close to Zac Lee? Because he made a good play in practice? Rex Burkhead has been ripping it up in practice yet nobody says he is going to overtake Roy Helu. The only thing that any of the articles ever say is that Green is the top back-up; they never say he is pushing Lee for the starter spot. Let’s see what they can both do during a game before we start anointing Green the second coming of Tommie Frazier or whoever else people are throwing out there.

“I have tremendous confidence in Zac,” Pelini said. “As far as Zac, I feel confident in what he’s ready to do. I probably have more anxiety about other positions than Zac. I know he’s not going to play perfect, but I hope he does. I’m not telling Zac he has to go win the football game by himself.”

Pelini was pleased with how Lee performed in preseason camp, noting that Lee has made better decisions. In fact, Pelini has been impressed by the quarterback position as a whole, and how offensive coordinator Shawn Watson prepares the quarterbacks.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...2a276835126.txt

Show me one post in this thread that indicates calling for Lee's job. Everyone up to this point just exclaimed some excitement about the development and possible future for this young man and that they were hoping to see him get Mop Up duty in the first game so we could see him in action. Settle down hero.

Green's 'brilliant' call

Posted by: Steve Sipple on September 2, 2009 at 9:03AM CST

Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson had some things to say to freshman quarterback Cody Green as they walked off the practice field Tuesday.

Some pleasant things.

"I just told him he's done more than any freshman I've ever had," Watson said. "Really, he has. We've put more on him, and he's really done well. He's where he should be knowledge-wise. He has to perfect the other things."

In his Tuesday press conference, Bo Pelini referred to a decision Green made at the line of scrimmage during Monday's practice. Bo was impressed.

Long story short, the defense showed a blitz look, Watson said. Green audibled accordingly and took advantage of the defense. It was a "brilliant" call, Watson said.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extr...liant_call.html

The only way this kid starts is if Lee get's hurt or after Lee graduates.

Show me one post in this thread that indicates calling for Lee's job. Everyone up to this point just exclaimed some excitement about the development and possible future for this young man and that they were hoping to see him get Mop Up duty in the first game so we could see him in action. Settle down hero.

Read the title again.

Cody Green's brilliant call, yeah, I think he'll be starting before long

Thanks for calling me hero though. :thumbs:moreinteresting

Well considering the bi-line to this thread is "yeah, I think he'll be starting before long", then I'd say there was more than a hint of that sentiment.

I think we should get behind Zac and see Cody Green for what he is; the future of the team. If Wats has confidence in Zac, then I'll take him at his word; that Zac is capable of running this offense. There seems to be no shortage of confidence in him.

Hopefully, Cody Green will get a lot of opportunities to direct the offense in the fourth quarter.