They looked flat

I think when you get up big early (21-0), you start relaxing and playing sloppier. We were pretty dominant the first quarter and until we were up 21-0. You could tell a huge difference between the first part of the game and the second when our players new the game was in hand. I don't expect that at all against VT, seeing as it should hopefully be a battle to the end.

I agree, around a C+. Always happy to get the win but we are in trouble if we bring the same level of play to Blacksburg. Our lines on both sides of the ball need to get mean. Our defensive line as a whole is a far cry from what I had hoped it would be. Helu couldn't find that extra gear today.

I trust in Bo's preparation, I just hope it really comes together over this week. Zac still hasn't played a great defense and he will need a lot of help to get a W.

Didnt seem flat to me. The run game was held in check, and that's credit to ASU. By doing that the Huskers aired it out with good success. The offense didnt turn the ball over and there wasnt many penalties. The defense played their normal bend-don't-break style.

It will be tough in Blacksburg, but I have no reason to believe the Huskers wont sneak out with a win by a FG.

I would give it a solid B. The first 3 drives were very solid, couldn't be stopped but then after that Nebraska played alright, not great though.

I really liked that 13 different players got a catch.

im just bothered by the fact that arkansas state seemed to have a better run game. Our OL needs to kick it in gear IMO. Our linebackers looked like freshman today (lol not surprising). Defense seemed pretty vanilla agian though, we ran two corner blitzes, otherwise looked like base defense whole game.

I saw several twists on the line and stunts from the linebackers and and more than once Nebraska appeared to be setting up a blitz but had mis-read and it was a run. Nebraska was not basic yesterday, especially on offense.

Didnt seem flat to me. The run game was held in check, and that's credit to ASU. By doing that the Huskers aired it out with good success. The offense didnt turn the ball over and there wasnt many penalties. The defense played their normal bend-don't-break style.

It will be tough in Blacksburg, but I have no reason to believe the Huskers wont sneak out with a win by a FG.

ASU put a lot of effort up front and went zone in the secondary. Communication in the secondary was awful and Lee tore them apart, EVD being lost for the year really showed. If not for a couple really nice plays by Walker it would have been worse, he's a senior also and is going to have to take charge back there or the ASU secondary will struggle all year, though it won't be as exposed as much against teams with less offensive lines.

tounge in cheek

you mean flat or soft?

we only had 3 penalties and one was for Martin taking off his helmet after getting mugged by three players on the ground looked like they were trying to choke him or gouge his eyes. He was injured in the face by this mugging which drew no penalty?

I did not see much flatness perhaps you could explain who played flat? Not Legate, or Niles Paul, nor did Helu look flat to me. Perhaps you meant Suh or Crick? Asante and Amukura looked ok too. Most of the people who will be on the VT travel squad played very well indeed! They were quick, and the game was short in time, so there was no slacking getting plays off Where is the alleged flatness.

Do you mean they were not emmotional enough? There is a penalty for excessive celebration. Perhaps, you could substitute buisnesslike for flatness. They were about the buisness at hand and I can not remember the last time tthis many caught balls. In fact it is a good omen that we have so many who can catch anything anytime. I think VT is in for some shocking performances from General Ex- zac- Lee!

tounge in cheek

you mean flat or soft?

we only had 3 penalties and one was for Martin taking off his helmet after getting mugged by three players on the ground looked like they were trying to choke him or gouge his eyes He was injured in the face by this mugging which drew no penalty. I did not see much flatness perhaps you could explain who played flat? Not Legate, or Niles Paul, nor did Helu look flat to me. Perhaps you meant Suh or Crick? Asante and Amukura looked ok too. Most of the people who will be on the VT travel squad played very well indeed! They were quick, and the game was short in time, so there was no slacking getting plays off Where is the alleged flatness.

Do you mean they were not emmotional enough? There is a penalty for excessive celebration. Perhaps, you could substitute buisnesslike for flatness. They were about the buisness at hand and I can not remember the last time tthis many caught balls. In fact it is a good omen that we have so many who can catch anything anytime. I think VT is in for some shocking performances from General Ex- zac- Lee!

It drew a penalty against Martin.

If it is only a matter of playing sloppy against an opponent while we're starting to blow them out, I can live with that (I suppose since most of you Generation X fans tell me that I have to). I guess I have higher standards for their play than most of you.

Here's where you accuse me of being the kool-aid drinker with my head stuck in the past, but "letting up" is not NU football--and I go back to the era when Tom still worked for Bob. At times this team doesn't even border on lazy--it IS lazy and it shows in their play. Hopefully Bo's recruits will prove to have a better work ethic than the bunch that Callahan recruited, and over time we won't see any more of this "letting up" (as we try so hard to be politically correct and not offend anyone).

I was told not to compare this team to the teams in the 90's, because it isn't fair to compare against near perfection and we'll never be like that again. Pffttt....get real. What games were YOU watching? Those teams had their share of problems too, yet there is a lot that this team can learn from them. I'm not wallowing in the past. I'm saying that those of you that don't think we should look to the good and bad things of the past to learn and make your present team better are simply being short-sighted and asinine. Those of you who don't think we can ever get there again, I label you quitters and defeatists and ask "why are you even here on this fan site?" That former era is the measure of what you want the present era to become. I ask "What is there to learn from it to make these teams better?"

Saturday was Game 2 of Season 2 of the Pelini era. I can deal with mental lapses, because it is early in the season. I can deal with not having the most gifted players. I can deal with a lot of things. However, I cannot deal with lapses into laziness. Hopefully this behavior doesn't become cancerous and will get "bred out" of the program with new recruits. For now, we still have lazy periods and play like a bunch of candy-arses--and it shows.

We need to play all 4 quarters against VT next weekend. We're perfectly capable of beating them on their home field. Can we muster enough gumption for 4 complete quarters--or is that asking too much work from this bunch?

~stomps on all the rose-colored glasses~

Let the flames begin. :)

I think when you get up big early (21-0), you start relaxing and playing sloppier. We were pretty dominant the first quarter and until we were up 21-0. You could tell a huge difference between the first part of the game and the second when our players new the game was in hand. I don't expect that at all against VT, seeing as it should hopefully be a battle to the end.

although i tend to agree, the fact remains that the "old NU" would just punish their opponents the whole game. that killer instinct seems to be missing and i am not sure why, but finishing plays and finishing games against lesser teams is how you practice for the tough games in which you have to play that way, just to get the W. :box Paul in WI is spot on, 100%.

Watched the game and from my point of view, they looked very flat. Played with little to no intensity. Missed assignments. Stupid penalties (Thanks Marcel for negating that 70yd TD by Paul with your holding call). The OL couldn't keep Arkie St from sacking Lee a couple of times. Our running game sucked. Helu looked out of it. Burky played pretty decent. Niles Paul looked pissed off like he didn't want to be there. At the very least his head was not in the game. Over all, I would give them a C+...B- at the very most

These guys need to really step it up this week if they want to have any chance against VaTech <_<

woah..... i didn't get to see the game but i followed it via message boards etc..... i guess seeing the game on tv and via a message board are two diffrent things.... but it sounded like we played alright.... :wacko:

i mean ZAC LEE funking killed it it seemed.. over 300 yards passing..

true helu didn't move as well but i think ASU was really looking to stuff the rushing game and stacked the line often......

i know we are all anxious to play VT and what i'm getting from reading the various posts is that if we play like this against VT we will get CREAMED... i dont' hold such a negative view.. i think we have a chance to lose but i don't think we will get slammed....

i was happy today

Which message board?

I couldn't get this one to work Saturday and may need a backup next time..(Not that I'd look at the pictures..just maybe read the articles).

Edit:

Nice Post PaulWI

Maybe it's just me... but it seems like Lee's passes are in the air a long time.

His passes do seem to float and he has thrown passes directly to the defense in the flats in both games. (Luckily the teams sucked so it wasnt picked off.) I really dont think the linebackers are going to be up to the challenge. They are very late on reads and take very bad angle in pursuit.

But im just a message boarder we will see in a couple days