The Sweater Vest is feeling the heat in Columbus.

Axl_sued_me

I think you look at the talent on board, see Urban Meyers and Notre Dame.

But Pelini is an Ohio Boy if I remember correctly. Ohio State always recruits well. Much easier to recruit to Ohio State than Nebraska. Always has been.

I see Pelini as a hired gun. He will go where he thinks he can gain the most, have the best chance of winning. I see this as starting place in his head coaching run. I see it as a learning experience with one of the greatest college coaches.

He may be here for 30 years, who knows. But my gut feeling says if theOSU called he would certainly listen, but currently I see no chance of either him or Watson even being contacted. I see no chance of them contacting anyone. Tressel has done a great job there. He just needs to be a little more aggressive I think, and that will come is my guess.

I'm sorry but if Tressel got ousted at Ohio State- barring them having like 5 or more losses this year and maybe even back to back disappointing SEASONS it would be the most insane firing pretty much every.

How can a coach be under fire for a loss in a game against one of the top programs that went down to the wire? I'm not even gonna mention all that Tressel has done for that program. I spose its about like TO having felt the heat for not beating OU though (I either wasn't old enough or around to ever witness "heat" towards TO).

But Pelini is an Ohio Boy if I remember correctly. Ohio State always recruits well. Much easier to recruit to Ohio State than Nebraska. Always has been.

I see Pelini as a hired gun. He will go where he thinks he can gain the most, have the best chance of winning. I see this as starting place in his head coaching run. I see it as a learning experience with one of the greatest college coaches.

He may be here for 30 years, who knows. But my gut feeling says if theOSU called he would certainly listen, but currently I see no chance of either him or Watson even being contacted. I see no chance of them contacting anyone. Tressel has done a great job there. He just needs to be a little more aggressive I think, and that will come is my guess.

I gotta disagree here. I have nothing much to base this on other than what I read about Bo in the paper, but he seems to be here for the long haul. I also can't see Nebraska being used as a stepping stone, at least not the HC. It's one of THE premeir programs in the country and is still a destination job. If we're now being used as a stop on the road to other programs then what Callahan did was much MUCH worse than we all thought.

I gotta disagree here. I have nothing much to base this on other than what I read about Bo in the paper, but he seems to be here for the long haul. I also can't see Nebraska being used as a stepping stone, at least not the HC. It's one of THE premeir programs in the country and is still a destination job. If we're now being used as a stop on the road to other programs then what Callahan did was much MUCH worse than we all thought.

Agreed. If the day ever came that the OSU gig was vacated and Bo Pelini was a candidate, I think it would be stupid of him to take it. People put way too much stock into where a guy played his college ball. Facts are facts. It's a lateral move. If Bo gets Nebraska back to its elite status on the field (it still is by all accounts off the field), it would make no sense to leave the program you built with your own hands in order to take an OSU job. People change, you know. By all accounts Bo is happy here. He has the full support of the fanbase and state. He knew what he was walking into and he's succeeding. If he ever left I'd bet it would be for a head gig in the league. That's the only barrier left to cross, and some guys don't want to cross it and others have and come back.

Bo's at an elite program which fits him like a glove. No reason to throw that away so you can coach where you played your ball in your younger years. Ohio State isn't really a jump from where Bo's standing.

If you believe Nebraska is a premier job you eveidently missed the hassles we had finding a coach when we got Callahan, and how others refused to come here when we hired Bo.

This is not a premier destination. Nebraska and Unrealistic fans go hand in hand

Bo is a Ohio Boy, played at Ohio State. Loyalty runs deep, and it goes back a long ways. Stoops is the same. If the job is open, Stoops will be contacted. His could be considered a lateral move, but at this time we are so far below the elite programs it is not even funny. On par with Duke at this time if you look at results. I know that is not true, but it does have statistics to back it up.

We have not beaten a team with a pulse in years, and that includes Coach Pelini. Look at what it is not what you want it to be.

If Ohio State stays at the level it is at and fires Tressel, Bo is the type of person who would think he could win. With the talent they have he might be right.

There is no comparisson between Ohio State talent and Nebraska talent at this time. There is no comparisson in win loss records over the last 10 years. Ohio State will continue to recruit as it has so no change in their talent level in the forseeable future.

Hands down a vastly superior program at this point in time.

But for those reasons, Ohio State is not going to fire Coach Tressel, so no sense in worrying about it.

If you believe Nebraska is a premier job you eveidently missed the hassles we had finding a coach when we got Callahan, and how others refused to come here when we hired Bo.

This is not a premier destination.

Evidently you don't pay much attention to the college football world. Nebraska has more fans coast to coast than arguably any team other than Notre Dame. It is a prime job. Top 10 in America. That's not saying it's for every coach, but this is one special place. Football programs all over the country have admired and copied many of the innovations of the Nebraska program.

Your analogy of no one wanting the job after Solich got fired is similar to no one wanting the Dallas Cowboys job after Jimmy Johnson got fired. NO KIDDING. YOU JUST FIRED A GOOD COACH. WHO'S GOING TO APPLY FOR THAT GIG? Steve Peterson was a JERK. No one was interested as a result.

That's not a reflection of the PROGRAM, but on the owner or athletic director. Jerry and Peterson both have gargantuan egos, although several zeros separate their net worths.

Nebraska is a special, special place. It's among the most winning programs of all time. One could make the argument that it is America's Team in the college ranks. The only rivals I know of for that honor would be ND or perhaps Texas.

This is not a premier destination. Nebraska and Unrealistic fans go hand in hand

Bo is a Ohio Boy, played at Ohio State. Loyalty runs deep, and it goes back a long ways. Stoops is the same. If the job is open, Stoops will be contacted. His could be considered a lateral move, but at this time we are so far below the elite programs it is not even funny. On par with Duke at this time if you look at results. I know that is not true, but it does have statistics to back it up.

We have not beaten a team with a pulse in years, and that includes Coach Pelini. Look at what it is not what you want it to be.

If Ohio State stays at the level it is at and fires Tressel, Bo is the type of person who would think he could win. With the talent they have he might be right.

There is no comparisson between Ohio State talent and Nebraska talent at this time. There is no comparisson in win loss records over the last 10 years. Ohio State will continue to recruit as it has so no change in their talent level in the forseeable future.

But for those reasons, Ohio State is not going to fire Coach Tressel, so no sense in worrying about it.

You're equating a team's on the field performance with overall program status. Mistake. NU has had exactly one coach in the last forty years that didn't make it to a BCS/National Championship game, not including Bo Pelini. We had a disaster with Callahan plain and simple. Still doesn't snap our sellout streak or fan support. Still doesn't change the atmosphere and expectations within the program. The last coaching search was bungled because it never should have happened. You fire a 9-3 coach, what do you think other coaches are going to do? Jump at the opportunity to go to a program where a tyrannical AD will fire you despite NC appearances and a 9-win season?

Anyway, you're right. Totally moot point. In my opinion Bo would be an idiot to take the job even if they begged him to come. Ohio State has a lot of coaches in their history that would be qualified to take the job, Bo among them. Thing is, he's set up real good where he is.

Yes, OSU has been hands down a better program than NU the last 10 years. But you could have said that about Nebraska and Oklahoma when Stoops was hired. Heck, when Solich was hired - the beginning of the 10 years you reference - Nebraska had beens hands down the better program over OSU for the prior 10 years. Texas was down when Mack Brown was hired. Notre Dame is down now. But these are still elite programs. I have no dellusions about where Nebraska is now - all I've read about this week is how they haven't won a road game against a ranked team since Scott Frost was QB. Scott Freaking Frost!! But Nebraska has some of the longest traditions, best facilities, and best administrators. While they may not be an elite TEAM right now, they are still an elite PROGRAM. There's nothing unreal about that. And I think you'll see them back among the elite teams very soon.

Your point about the last hiring process is well taken, but I would mention that those problems had much more to do with the hatchet man AD than it did with the tradition and status of the program. We were coming off a 9 win regular season, with a bunch of future NFL players on the roster.

Historically Elite, current not so much.

My thoughts as to why I feel this way.

Living in the past it seems.

Today is what is important.

Of the top 150 recruits in the country this year, how many have signed with Nebraska?

How many last year?

How many the 4 years before.

Maybe a grand total of 4 who actually played a game.

You are talking history tradition, important to Nebraska fans, but actually means very little to todays athlete.

If it did, we would be getting a lot more top athletes to come to a current elite program.

If we continue to lose every single time we play a top 15 team, we will continue to lose out on recruiting battles. Today is what is important, not what we did in the 90's. No body cares but us trust me.

We are not an elite program, we have an elite history, Notre Dame is in the same situation. Great history but for some reason with higher accademic standards and admission standards they still get top athletes.

We do not. We get what is left over. Lucky was the only one we actualy beat out a true competition for that I remember.

SC gets 10-15 every single year it seems ELITE

Oklahoma 4-5 every single year ELITE

LSU about the same ELITE

Florida Near the SC total I would guess ELITE

Alabama see Oklahoma ELITE

Notre Dame ELITE

Ohio State ELITE

Penn State ELITE

Michigan ELITE

Georgia ELITE

Texas ELITE

Florida State ELITE ?? Now getting the talent again

Tennessee ELITE??????? Same

Miami ELITE ?? Same

Missouri has gotten more than Nebraska is my guess

When we beat a top 10 team and do it on a regular basis, we will return to ELITE status in my mind. We are a storied program with great history and tradition, great fans and many records. But currently we are not and ELITE program.

We may never be again.

No way Tressel is going anywhere. If you remember, most thought USC was going to whoop up on the OSU again like last year. Tressel almost pulled it off...he had to play his field position game and hope the USC freshman QB could not pull it off. He went with the percentages. It wasn't the best coaching but he gave his team chance to win. If he beats Penn State and gets a Rose Bowl birth, this will long be forgotten. He'd have to be humiliated by Penn State and Meechicken and lose other games to be ousted. Not going to happen. Pryor will get better and they have legitimate Rose Bowl chance every year in that weak conference.

Of the top 150 recruits in the country this year, how many have signed with Nebraska?

How many last year?

You are talking history tradition, important to Nebraska fans, but actually means very little to todays athlete.

If it did, we would be getting a lot more top athletes to come to a current elite program.

If we continue to lose every single time we play a top 15 team, we will continue to lose out on recruiting battles. Today is what is important, not what we did in the 90's. No body cares but us trust me.

We are not an elite program, we have an elite history, Notre Dame is in the same situation. Great history but for some reason with higher accademic standards and admission standards they still get top athletes.

We do not. We get what is left over. Lucky was the only one we actualy beat out a true competition for that I remember.

LSU about the same ELITE

Notre Dame ELITE

Ohio State ELITE

Penn State ELITE

Michigan ELITE

Georgia ELITE

Texas ELITE

Miami ELITE ?? Same

When we beat a top 10 team and do it on a regular basis, we will return to ELITE status in my mind. We are a storied program with great history and tradition, great fans and many records. But currently we are not and ELITE program.

We may never be again.

So because NU is down, it is no longer considered an elite program? How do you explain then why Stoops went to OU, why Carrol went to USC, why Meyer went to Florida, why Saban went to Alabama, why Rich Rod went to Michigan. All of those programs were in a rut of mediocrity at best and at times worse. Those are elite programs for a variety of reasons, NU is an elite program. A good coach looks at NU like a place to come knowing what NU was once and what it can be again. It takes an awful lot to get rid of elite status, ND is exhibit A in this case. Army is an example of a program that fell from grace, boy it pains me to say this. It took a myriad of factors to become like this. Army was last relevant in the 60's. Since then college football became bigger and the recruiting limitations Army has took their toll, kind of hard to get players when they have to go into the Army for 5-6 years. Add to that the restrictions the Coaches have because the players have to go to mandatory training in the Summer and during the year. Not to mention that West Point is in NY and that isn't the best recruiting ground to be in. Army started a period of very few winning seasons that has lasted 40 years, heck KSU became relevant and sh**ty again in that span. NU doesn't suffer from issues near that extreme. NU has facilities, a fan base, a VERY proud history, a very good revenue base. NU has challenges recruiting due to location, but it is proven that a good coach can recruit here. Everyone says TO had mediocre classes, fact is he was almost always in the top 25 and during the run Top 10-15 classes were the norm. There is a fair amount of talent on this team, it can get even better with wins because the talent on the team right now is a testament that players still want to come to NU. NU is an elite program.

How many last year?

LSU about the same ELITE

Notre Dame ELITE

Ohio State ELITE

Penn State ELITE

Michigan ELITE

Georgia ELITE

Texas ELITE

Miami ELITE ?? Same

We may never be again.

Be careful, staring at your shiny little recruiting stars can blind you to the truth.

They are a crock of shitt!

:nanalama

Bo landed the Nebraska job as a first-time HC.

LSU was at that time thought to be one of the top two teams in college ball. They were playing incredibly well and had won a NCS. They had a super D and Bo was the DC. And Nebraska was a program on the skids. Now if we go undefeated or nearly so and end up in an NCS game and we are looked upon as the best offense in the country AND Ohio State falls apart and finihes with 5 losses, indeed Watson might get a look. Otherwise no chance.

The comparison isn't even close right now.

All very true. I was just throwing that out there for the general edification of the masses, of which I am a part.

First it's Bel Biv Devoe and now you're using Don Kingisms, what are you drinking tonight Hennessy?