The Sweater Vest is feeling the heat in Columbus.

Axl_sued_me

Historically Elite, current not so much.

My thoughts as to why I feel this way.

Living in the past it seems.

Today is what is important.

Of the top 150 recruits in the country this year, how many have signed with Nebraska?

How many last year?

How many the 4 years before.

Maybe a grand total of 4 who actually played a game.

You are talking history tradition, important to Nebraska fans, but actually means very little to todays athlete.

If it did, we would be getting a lot more top athletes to come to a current elite program.

If we continue to lose every single time we play a top 15 team, we will continue to lose out on recruiting battles. Today is what is important, not what we did in the 90's. No body cares but us trust me.

We are not an elite program, we have an elite history, Notre Dame is in the same situation. Great history but for some reason with higher accademic standards and admission standards they still get top athletes.

We do not. We get what is left over. Lucky was the only one we actualy beat out a true competition for that I remember.

SC gets 10-15 every single year it seems ELITE

Oklahoma 4-5 every single year ELITE

LSU about the same ELITE

Florida Near the SC total I would guess ELITE

Alabama see Oklahoma ELITE

Notre Dame ELITE

Ohio State ELITE

Penn State ELITE

Michigan ELITE

Georgia ELITE

Texas ELITE

Florida State ELITE ?? Now getting the talent again

Tennessee ELITE??????? Same

Miami ELITE ?? Same

Missouri has gotten more than Nebraska is my guess

When we beat a top 10 team and do it on a regular basis, we will return to ELITE status in my mind. We are a storied program with great history and tradition, great fans and many records. But currently we are not and ELITE program.

We may never be again.

And this bears repeating

You are on record saying that if Pelini was hired you would stop being a Husker fan.

Yet here you are.

While you are right about our past record agianst ranked teams, you are using said record in which Pelini has nothing to do with to indict him.

To the other point, OSU is not firing Tressel.

Final summation, worthless thread is full of worthless.

Bo landed the Nebraska job as a first-time HC.

LSU was at that time thought to be one of the top two teams in college ball. They were playing incredibly well and had won a NCS. They had a super D and Bo was the DC. And Nebraska was a program on the skids. Now if we go undefeated or nearly so and end up in an NCS game and we are looked upon as the best offense in the country AND Ohio State falls apart and finihes with 5 losses, indeed Watson might get a look. Otherwise no chance.

The comparison isn't even close right now.

All very true. I was just throwing that out there for the general edification of the masses, of which I am a part.

First it's Bel Biv Devoe and now you're using Don Kingisms, what are you drinking tonight Hennessy?

Don Kingisms

Classic

Knapplc you have some competition.

Was the Hennessy a reference to Kanye's drink of choice or just the most ghetto drink you could think of.

What coaches have done better than Tressel in the past 5 to 10 years? I see Stoops name bantered about, but doesn't he have almost an identical image to Tressel? He's won one NC. He's lost how many bowl games now? Lately, he hasn't been able to win the big games. Probably the only two coaches who have a leg up on Tressel would be Meyer and Carroll. It would be insane for OSU to even think about removing Tressel. However, stranger things have happened.

but if your standards are so high that 10+ win seasons are intolerable, you're going to be a miserable football fan for the rest of your life.

Yep. Sounds like an Ohio State fan to me, but my guess is after winning a NC you'd have to punch a player after having let the program fall apart before they'd fire you.

Ha...My parents were at that game...ol' Charlie Bauman.

Hard to change spots, family ties with the University, family obligations going near a century are hard to do away with within a family.

Proven wrong in my assessment of Coach Pelini. Expected major turmoil, NCAA violations, a program running wild. He grew up in his years at Oklahoma and LSU. People who feel they were wronged do somethings that may not have been in their best interest. That is where I was with Bo. He has proven me wrong on my thoughts and I have stated it many times.

Including him in the losses is absolutely correct, he lost 3 games to top 15 teams last year, he had another year of decline in numbers. Not saying effort or program direction. He had to play with what he was dealt.

And as stated I could be completely wrong about him wanting to be at OSU. But I base that on his loyalty factor which I have come to accept. He is a good man, who may be as Nebraskan as any of us. But I still think he would go if asked, with the current situation. Not going to happen either way at this time. Tressel deserves a lot more time.

Now down the road if he does return Nebraska to an Elite Program, and OSU should happen to decline, then I doubt he would leave.

But if things continue as they are, us being an upper second teir program and them at the top with the talent they have, I could see him going. But at that point I do not see them asking. He is not a hot prospect at this time, due to what he was shackled with to start. Not saying his ability, dedication or drive.

In no way are my comments a negative about Bo. Just comon sense in what I think would happen at certain times under certain conditions.

I do kinda feel sorry for Tressel. The Big 10 will ALWAYS have troubles competing for a NC with their season wrapping up prior to thanksgiving. Almost 2 months off between games is killer. Lets be honest though and say that Ohio State didn't play their way into those NC games they got blown out in, they lucked their way in. That being said, there is getting to be a chokelahoma way about tOSU. The only way Tressel's job will be in jeopardy is if his offense gets anemic and he still refuses to give up calling plays (a la Solich). If his team is consistently finishing the way they have been I think he will be fine to retire when he wants to.

10 win average and normally wins the conference, a MNC game win.

Pretty good job it seems to me.

You are hearing those that are all about winning, not considering the good done for the program by Coach Treseel. My guess is the AD and president are more than happy with his results overall.

I know I would have welcomed him with open arms before we got Bo or Callahan. Great coach, good person, great win loss record, clean program, top of the conference, what more can you ask for.

Unrealistic, delusional.

No where like Nebraska!!!

The trend continues.

No I don't think that is the general theme of responses to your opinions. Most aren't arguing that NU is the BEST place, just that you aren't giving this program credit for being the elite program it is. It seems you measure elite by who is winning now, but I gave a few examples as to why I disagree with that. Did Alabama, USC, ND, OU, etc. lose their elite status when they went or are going through their recent rough spots? Heck I was at the 35-0 game vs. OU. NU is still an elite program, it may not have the shine on it right now that others do but it is elite. It just needs some spit and polish. Hopefully Bo is the man to do that because speaking from experience, polishing something isn't always easy to do right. As far as whether or not Bo would leave for OSU if offered, well call us homers if you want but when Bo repeatedly calls NU a special place I tend to feel he loves it here. I just don't feel the pull from OSU outweighs Bo's love for NU right now. I could be wrong, but I hope I am not. I think it is a moot point anyways, Tressel does a great job and isn't going anywhere.

Fans can remember 2001 and before versions of the Huskers. Unfortunately 17 yr old kids and their parents (that don't live in Nebraska) for the most part would not consider Nebraska an "elite" program. A big time college football program in a respectable conference, but certainly not 'elite' at the present time.

For that reason we do not currently have to worry about an elite program coming to grab either Bo or Watson. Now if we go to a BCS game and win the conference a couple times, things change. "Elite" is a dynamic state and we have fallen out of it with a 8 yr drought. Consistant top 5 finishes and never dropping from the top 20 marks an elite program with nearly annual mention for the national championship. Whereas Kansas and Misery might be happy to win a North championship, for us to be elite we have to win the conference championship and then a major bowl.

So these things go hand in hand. When 5* recruits begin to percieve us as an elite program in some numbers, better watch out for offers to Bo. Watts could get an offer from a smaller program if we just do well and go to minor bowls and have very good offensive stats. But neither Bo or Watt's phone is going to be ringing from major schools like OSU until we are back to an "elite" program. Could take a step (and it is only one step in the direction of an elite status) this Saturday!! GBR

Fans can remember 2001 and before versions of the Huskers. Unfortunately 17 yr old kids and their parents (that don't live in Nebraska) for the most part would not consider Nebraska an "elite" program. A big time college football program in a respectable conference, but certainly not 'elite' at the present time.

For that reason we do not currently have to worry about an elite program coming to grab either Bo or Watson. Now if we go to a BCS game and win the conference a couple times, things change. "Elite" is a dynamic state and we have fallen out of it with a 8 yr drought. Consistant top 5 finishes and never dropping from the top 20 marks an elite program with nearly annual mention for the national championship. Whereas Kansas and Misery might be happy to win a North championship, for us to be elite we have to win the conference championship and then a major bowl.

So these things go hand in hand. When 5* recruits begin to percieve us as an elite program in some numbers, better watch out for offers to Bo. Watts could get an offer from a smaller program if we just do well and go to minor bowls and have very good offensive stats. But neither Bo or Watt's phone is going to be ringing from major schools like OSU until we are back to an "elite" program. Could take a step (and it is only one step in the direction of an elite status) this Saturday!! GBR

Would those same people consider Notre Dumb elite? They haven't done jack for a while. How about Miami? They haven't done jack for a while either. Until Spurrier's run at Florida, Florida wasn't exactly "elite". Elite is what you make it. There's probably 20 teams give or take 5 that consider themselves elite. We have 3 just in the Big 12 that could argue elite status.