The NEW MU v. NU Thread

And as far as Virginia Tech, I don't think they are much better than the Illini. The ACC is weaker than the Big 10 top to bottom. JMHO

You would be very much alone in this belief.

Understandable, but I think if we had a debate on the qualities of either the big 10 or the ACC we would agree both conferences are much weaker than the big 12.

I think the lack of offensive imagination displayed by VATech over the past 10 years makes them a very average team nationally, although very prominent in a weak conference.

JMHO

post-3775-1253909304.jpg

Understandable, but I think if we had a debate on the qualities of either the big 10 or the ACC we would agree both conferences are much weaker than the big 12.

I think the lack of offensive imagination displayed by VATech over the past 10 years makes them a very average team nationally, although very prominent in a weak conference.

JMHO

A very average team that consistently wins at least 10 games a year.

One question I have for Nebraska fans is this: MU had its way with Nebraska in Lincoln last season with a 6 touchdown differential for a Tiger victory. MU lost some talent, but so did Nebraska. The excitement around Nebraska football is welcomed, as it was a shame what Callahan did to your great program in just three short years.

How do you think Nebraska has closed a 6 touchdown deficit in just one year, and do you think playing in Columbia gives the Tigers a boost heading into this early showdown on October 8th?

One question I have for Missouri fans is "do you think that the score from last year carries over to this year?" Last I checked the game still starts at 0-0.

Not the intent of the question, the question is not a direct question about the score, but about the talent gap that certainly existed last season. The question is meant to ask how has Nebraska closed the talent gap against Missouri over the past year to illicit such a sincere belief that NU will dominate MU in Columbia.

Not a question about the points directly.

Hope that makes it more clear and promotes debate and conversation.

Not the intent of the question, the question is not a direct question about the score, but about the talent gap that certainly existed last season. The question is meant to ask how has Nebraska closed the talent gap against Missouri over the past year to illicit such a sincere belief that NU will dominate MU in Columbia.

You're either being deliberately obtuse with this vein of questioning or you have no idea what was going on in the Husker program when we played last year.

One question I have for Nebraska fans is this: MU had its way with Nebraska in Lincoln last season with a 6 touchdown differential for a Tiger victory. MU lost some talent, but so did Nebraska. The excitement around Nebraska football is welcomed, as it was a shame what Callahan did to your great program in just three short years.

How do you think Nebraska has closed a 6 touchdown deficit in just one year, and do you think playing in Columbia gives the Tigers a boost heading into this early showdown on October 8th?

One question I have for Missouri fans is "do you think that the score from last year carries over to this year?" Last I checked the game still starts at 0-0.

Nice to see so many Missouri fans on here talking football with us so you guys get a :clap . Now I would say that our running game is way better than last year. I was always a fan of Marlon Lucky, but he didn't have it last year. So that is one area we are better at plus, in my opinion, I think our O-Line is doing a great job with their run blocking. We lost two guys sure, but it looks like they have somewhat picked up where they left off. QB wise...the jury is still out there. Which QB is going to show up or was the last game more of a credit to the V-Tech defense? I don't care what conference they are in...V-Tech plays solid defense for any school in any conference.

WR's and TE's...there is more speed there, but let's face it, they aren't the most reliable just yet and McNeill has been fairly solid so far, but I thought we would be seeing a lot more from him with a new QB. New QB's love TE's. I will say they are getting much better at blocking down the field, which is what springs big plays.

Our Defense is way more solid than it was last year. You can see that even if the opposing team gets the catch...our guys are right near the ball with a couple of exceptions. Breakdowns will happen, because they are still learning. But, so far, they are much less frequent and I would say we still need to see more to get a more accurate reading on our coverage. Plus our LB's are much faster which is good against spread teams. The problem I have seen from our LB's is they don't seem very physical at times. I don't think we need to say anything about our D-Line except maybe our Ends. I would like to see them get to the quarterback faster, but they are pretty good against the run.

This game will be a good one and I said in the summer that Missouri and Nebraska are pretty evenly matched. Personally I think it will be one of these teams that takes the North...I just don't know why, but I can't buy into Kansas taking it.

And as far as Virginia Tech, I don't think they are much better than the Illini. The ACC is weaker than the Big 10 top to bottom. JMHO

You would be very much alone in this belief.

JMHO

Respectfully, I must disagree with your opinion for a couple of reasons.

1) VaTech wins 10 games every year. They make lack overall offensive power, but they still find ways to win.

2) Miami and VaTech are probably better than 8-9 of the Big 10+1 schools.

3) Both VaTech and Miami have done something neither of the two Big 10+1 "power houses" have done this year, and that is beat a Top 25 opponent. Miami has beaten two top 20 teams by themselves.

4) Even though the ACC may not be a flashy conference, they still win big nationally televised games. Last year, both Penn State and Ohio State lost their BCS bowl games, and VaTech won theirs. Simply put, the ACC produces and the Big 10 does not.

There is really no good reason to expect Nebraska to win. They choked away their only real game (four point underdogs) thus far to an overrated VT team, and Lee looked dreadful (61.4 rating). Missouri, on the other hand, dominated their big stage game (seven point underdogs) against Illinois and Gabbert had a brilliant day (187 rating). Because of our ridiculous cupcake scheduling, Bo is inexperienced as a head coach on the road (only FIVE OF FIFTEEN regular season games have been on the road), losing to every good team thus far (wins at awful KSU and ISU) and showing some questionable coaching last Saturday.

I suppose the best Husker fans can do is point to Missouri's game against Bowling Green. Somehow that doesn't do much for me. Of course, come that Thursday, I'll be smashed on Kool-Aid and thinking we're golden. But that didn't help in '07 or '05.

Are you a Tiger fan in disguise? Show yourself!

Honestly, I'm not saying this isn't going to be a great game, but you are putting Mizzou up on a pedestal when they are probably equally as talented as we are.

And where did this knock on Bo come from? Do you not count going all the way down to Florida and beating Clemson as a good road win? It may have been a bowl game, but Clemson fans outnumbered Husker fans. Any game not in your own stadium with all of your fans is a road game in my eyes.

Alright, how's this: Huskers are gonna stomp their asses! Mizzou sucks, Big Red by 50! Yay!

Honestly, I love the way Bo prepares his players emotionally, but him and his staff have had some questionable in-game coaching. And the fact remains, we've only played three good teams on the road under Bo and lost all three. Also, QB play is extremely important to any team's success. Each QB is very inexperienced, having had one big spotlight game so far this season. Gabbert had a huge game and Lee failed miserably. Who knows, maybe Lee will improve greatly and have a huge day and we'll win by 14. Anything could happen. But looking at it objectively, there's no doubt the edge goes to MU.

Oh, and I was at the Gator Bowl. If Clemson fans outnumbered us, it wasn't more than 55-45. So trying to pretend that was somehow similar to the atmosphere at a Clemson home game isn't going to get you anywhere.

Lol much better.

I'm not saying you have to be a homer as far as the Huskers go, but it just seemed like too much credit to give to an MU team that hasn't produced much yet. If they beat us, they'll have proved me wrong.

Second, Bo Pelini has been a head coach for only a year and a half. He has a lot of coaching experience, yes, but being a coordinator and being the HC are two different things. He also wasn't as lucky as Osborne and Solich were when they took over this program. Devaney left T.O. with a wealth of talent, and T.O. left Frank S. a wealth of talent. Coincidentally, F.S. did not leave Bill Callahan with a wealth of talent and Bill Callahan left B.P. with a bunch of athletic guys who didn't know what the f*ck they were doing defensively.

That stated, we must look at what we have to work with. Stoops won a MNC at OU because he was left with a lot of young talented players that just needed to be coached harder. B.P. was left with a lot of guys who had been in a system for many years that couldn't execute consistently to save their life.

Lastly, the only point I'm making about the Clemson game is B.P. took his football team down their on the road and beat a team that was favored to beat us. If Clemson had won they would have come into the season in the Top 25.

I will say that Nebraska has been "punched" in the mouth by a good team this year and has responded; Missou has not. Nebraska went on the road in a hostile environment and basically dominated the game for 57 minutes; Missou has played at home and their "hostile" environment is Reno.

I will say Nebraska will be more battle tested than Missou come game time.

One game you have forgotten is a rivalry game at a neutral site with 65K. Big Game for both schools.. add that to a Missouri Resume and I think the schedules for both teams are pretty equal.

And let's not kid ourselves... none of that will matter when they tee it up on October 8th.

You are right that non of that will matter come October 8th. No previous games predict how ANY given game will play out. See every upset that has taken place this year.

As far as a rivalry game and "equal" schedules. You cannot honestly tell me that you think Illinois (A team that finished 5-7 last year and is looking even worse this year) would even come close to holding its own against Virginia Tech (Which won 10 games last year, yet again). I'm not saying that the Mizzou win was NOT convincing, because it was, but... the schedules are hardly even. Take out Mizzou's game with Illinois and Nebraska's game with VT and the schedules are looking pretty even (both cupcakes scheduling ) :lol:

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think that either "big games" (in actuality, both meant nothing to either of these programs) will influence October 8th. That game will be won by whichever team shows up and executes the best. Here's to hoping for a great game. :cheers

I certainly understand your position. I live in ACC/SEC country and watch WAY too much ACC football. It may be the most mediocre football that is played in the country. That may skew my view of the Virginia Tech program as I am not impressed with the football Virgnia Tech plays. I really do not think there is much difference between the talent of Illinois and Virginia Tech. So that is probably why I view the schedules as equal.

When you are subjected to watching so much ACC football it makes you sick. All the hype for these programs in the ACC the last couple of years and none of the programs would finish in the top half of the Big 12.

That may help explain my view..

I absolutely do not agree with the hate on the ACC. Actually, I don't really buy into the whole this conference that conference shenanigans that much. At least when it is BCS conferences, and even then IDK. I think alot of the ACC teams just don't have flashy offenses but that doesn't mean they are overated or its a bad conference or any of that crap. Clemsons D was the best we saw last year (which might not say a ton) and really one of the best I saw on TV all year.

Watch closely tonight on ESPN. Mizzou is going to scare the begeezez out of you. Gabbert will make a statement!

Nev 7 - MU 6 in the second, MU run defense is porous at best, offense can move the ball between the 20s but not so much inside. Nev is making some mistakes, which is keeping MU in it. Gabbert is getting pressure, but 81 looks good - tough to cover.

I don't know what a begeezez is, but I know its not scared, merely emboldened.

Basically Mizzou is in a no win situation tonight because no matter what they win by tonight, then they were supposed to do that, but if they lose, then because they lost to Nevada, then there would be no use in even showing up on Oct. 8th because they will get killed. Either way they get no respect from Cornhusker fans. Am I right in seeing it this way??

Sorry about the rambling

If they win, since they are down by one in the second quarter with no TD from Gabbart the Great.