The NEW MU v. NU Thread

I'm guessing we watc hed the same game. And I watched the Illinois game. Didn't see the Bowling green or Furman games as they weren't on TV. I watched all of our games. There is not a coach in the universe that would not take Misery's QB and wideouts over ours. That's simply being honest. We should have had Gabbert. I wish we would have. He's the read deal and if we lose at Columbia it will be because of that young man that stiffed us.

I think we are more balanced--but again I think one thing that helped Nevada was the option by the QB and I know that nobody wants to hear again that I have my doubts about Lee getting it done. Simply my feeling that they will key on Helu and make it tougher for us to run the ball. But I think we have a good shot at winning the game. It will be very close imo.

They can key on Helu all they want. It's not going to help them if they can't stop a Nevada team that could barely rush the ball against Colorado St. If you're putting this game in the hands of Helu and our O Line, I love our chances.

The Missouri D Line was getting pushed backwards all game long by an average Nevada O Line. Surely you saw this? Frankly, Lee wouldn't have to throw the ball at all and we'd still be in the game, the way Missouri looked tonight. But the Missouri secondary isn't that great, that's the problem. Furman passed for 300 yards on them. Furman! People were blowing a gasket that we gave up 358 yards to FAU - FAU is a Division 1A school!

I touched on this either in this thread or another one.

I really think MU's o-line and d-line are not athletic and speedy. I think we will be able to push them around all day especially defensively because let's face it, Suh hasn't been shut down one game this year and he has played a top 15 opponent and had by far his best game.

Hopefully we can pound the rock against MU and get Rex some more carries in conference play. That guy will be something special.

Didnt see the game. What I miss from Mizzou?

Honestly? Some really ugly play, bailed out by some really bad calls by the refs, some really boneheaded defensive plays by Nevada, and Gabbert looking slow of foot yet still benefiting from horrible pass coverage.

Not to mention Nevada fumbling on the one yard line and Mizzou taking it and driving 99 yards for the score...14 point swing.

Not to mention that TD pass was with a non-called illegal pick....But they still drove the entire field at that point and were likely going to score anyway

Honestly? Some really ugly play, bailed out by some really bad calls by the refs, some really boneheaded defensive plays by Nevada, and Gabbert looking slow of foot yet still benefiting from horrible pass coverage.

Not to mention Nevada fumbling on the one yard line and Mizzou taking it and driving 99 yards for the score...14 point swing.

Not to mention that TD pass was with a non-called illegal pick....But they still drove the entire field at that point and were likely going to score anyway

However... It was 3rd down and if the referees had gotten that call right (well who expects that now? :hmmph ) then the penalty for a pick play is a loss of down and a 15 yard penalty, which would have held missouri to yet another field goal and would have made the score 24 to 13 rather than 28 to 13. That would have changed the complexities of that game a LOT.

:restore

However... It was 3rd down and if the referees had gotten that call right (well who expects that now? :hmmph ) then the penalty for a pick play is a loss of down and a 15 yard penalty, which would have held missouri to yet another field goal and would have made the score 24 to 13 rather than 28 to 13. That would have changed the complexities of that game a LOT.

:restore

Good call. My fault that I nullified the fact that was 3rd down. i'm :dumdum

I think Gabbert is the real deal and that Danario Alexander guy is a man. The MU defense has some players, especially Weatherspoon (I hate him, but for all the right reasons).

I think NU has more depth of talent, a better overall team, but is less explosive offensively and that is what the game will come down to. How contained can Nebraska keep MU.

Here is my hope for the outcome...

:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t:bonez:power:restore:power:restore2:w00t

Go Big Red.

I saw a MU team that couldn't stop the run vs. a team with an inferior O-Line. I also saw MU get the benefit of NV simply blowing plays, a couple of them on Alexander. I saw 1 real play maker on the MU team, that Alexander kid is a tough one to keep corralled. The Freshman RB they have has some shifty moves and made a nice grab on a pure scramble prayer pass by Gabbert. If NV doesn't fumble the ball early in the fourth they have 1st and Goal on the 1 and most likely punch it in. Different game if that happens, but MU did look like a better team but not overly so like you'd might expect.

I'm sure everyone is wondering what happened to the three topics discussing MU v. NU. Don't worry, they're alive and well. We moved 'em to the Woodshed. Not only were they getting repetitive, they were starting to get a little heated, so this is your chance to cut loose. Plus, we've picked up a few fans from other teams that seem to want to talk smack rather than discuss the merits of the game itself. Nothing wrong with that and we appreciate fans of opposing teams - but it seems that each attempt by anyone to actually discuss each team's strong and weak points quickly dissolves into a pissing match.

I hope I haven't contributed too much to that. Unfortunately any time there's a big early season game, there's very little to base things on, so it degenerates into whose opponents suck worse.

Strengths vs Weaknesses

After re-watching the Nevada game, I'm a little more worried. I've been putting a lot of stock in our players abilities rather than their play. Size, speed and strength don't really matter if you get stood up on the LOS. We've got a lot of work to do. I do think we're talented enough that we might be able to win even playing as badly on the line as we did last week; after all it's not uncommon for us to beat teams despite losing the LOS. But it's going to be harder. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if we came out and played much better. That could be just a homer opinion, but it's not uncommon the last few years for Mizzou to play horribly on the LOS one week and great the next.

What I'd really like to know from NU is: what's the bread and butter of your running game? Misdirection, power-game up the middle, sweeps, all of the above? The key matchup seems to be your running game up the middle versus our d-line. We've played very good perimeter run defense so far, but we could be in trouble if you get leverage out there, but I don't expect that to happen. If you run, it's likely going to be straight up the gut.

The other way around, I'd look at your ability to pressure the QB with 4 linemen and drop the rest into coverage, especially if you can effectively defend the run in this configuration. Do that, and you'll need only 20 or 30 to win. If Mizzou runs on you, I think the game's over, but I don't expect to have a successful rushing day.

Some perspective:

Nevada rushing yards by game:

Notre Dame - 153

Colorado St. - 169

Missouri - 219

I wonder if Helu watched this game, and if so, how often he laughed.

Nevada (which is a very good rushing team BTW) did have a good running day, no doubt, but very little passing success. Mizzou defended the run just well enough to stay in its base defense without stacking the box, leading to lots of medium length drives for Nevada. Even when you average 5 yards a carry, you still have to convert a large number of 3rd downs. To do that, eventually you gotta pass.

Nebraska will have some success running the ball, but to turn statistics into scoring, they'll have to be able to a) be able to run the ball so well that we have to stack the box, or B) pass the ball well to create balance. Can they do that?

I can only base on what I've read here about Missouri and the few plays of the NU-VT game I saw.

Helu is explosive through the line tackle to tackle, and it doesn't have to be much of a hole. He clears the line quickly and LB's and DB's better be sure tacklers or he's going to have numerous big runs. If thats the case NU should be able to control the clock and use the running game to set up play action passes. If we are effiecent of first down and don't put ourselves in numerous third and long sitituations, Lee should have a nice night.

It sounds like Gabbert is the real deal, but that maybe he gets happy feet and breaks the pocket and makes some poor decisions throwing on the run. Not only should our secondary be able to make plays on balls that hang up in the air, if we run any delayed blitzes from our LB's and DB's he could be setting himself up to take some real shots in the open field.

It also sounds like our kicking game is much improved this year. Henry was great last year, but it sounds like we're also getting kickoffs into to endzone(which is big because sometimes it looks like we don't cover real well).

I think the main thing is to minimize the amount of mental mistakes. I HATE watching timeouts get wasted because we can't get the play in or the correct personel on the field. I think if we play a fairly clean game, our running game and front four on defense turn this game our way. 28-21 NU

I don't really disagree with the last couple posts a whole lot. I think the game will depend on Lee being able to throw with some success. Though I think we can get a lot of yards up the middle against Misery's DL; I think it will be hard to sustain long TD drives with our running game. If we can mix it up successfully (not like VT) then I really like our chance to make a statement in this game.

I am hoping that we can contain Gabbert with a base D. I worry about getting beat deep or their WRs making long runs after the catch if we don't get to Gabbert.

If we can't throw the ball well I worry that though we will get a lot of rushing yards and a lot of time on the clock--we won't have enough points. Similarly we really have to stop the big plays into the endzone by Mizzou. Having lots of yards resulting in a few field goals will sink us, unless they are a lot worse in their passing attack and we are a lot better in our secondary than I suspect. If we are pretty balanced and hit some TDs early, we should be in the catbird's seat with the crowd out of it.

I am hoping that Asante is 100%. We need all the Dbacks we have and then probably some. It's good some of the RS Freshmen got work against LL. If there is a ***** in our pass defense, they are likely to find it.