Offensive Line play

I have responded in a couple of threads about this and decided that it needs a thread of its own.

In my opinion, in the VT, MU and TT games, the offensive line play has been terrible. Missed blocking assignments, getting beat, stupid penalties, ect ect ect. In each of these games Lee has struggled.

All of the problems that the offense has had can be traced right back to poor line play, yesterday's game is a prime example. Matt Barkley, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, (insert QB's name here) would struggle if their offensive lines allowed 5 sacks and constant pressure from a rush of 4 lineman. when you can get pressure with 4 players you can drop 7 in coverage. none of the named QB's will have good stats, let alone great stats, when it is 7 covering at most 5

all of the offensive line problems is due to a lack of disciple, and that comes from a lack of leadership on the line (Hickman not taking the lead) and poor coaching. Sure Cotton is a Nebraska guy and all, but i just dont think he has what it takes.

what are your thoughts

"when you can get pressure with 4 players you can drop 7 in coverage. none of the named QB's will have good stats, let alone great stats, when it is 7 covering at most 5"

It didn't seem to bother Sheffield as much as Lee....... Sheffield may have had one of his poorer stat games against the Huskers but at least he wasn't inept!!!

I don't know if Cotton is the right coach or we just don't have the right players, or good enough players in the O-line. One thing I have noticed is that in two crucial 1'st and goals, Henry has got a holding call and a personal foul, to knock the air out of us. 1st one at VT and yesterday on a dumb late hit. That makes me think more of the players not having their heads on straight than a coaching problem.

I think one thing for sure is, we don't have strong leadership at q/b and we are weak at w/r.

GBR!!!

I don't know if Cotton is the right coach or we just don't have the right players, or good enough players in the O-line. One thing I have noticed is that in two crucial 1'st and goals, Henry has got a holding call and a personal foul, to knock the air out of us. 1st one at VT and yesterday on a dumb late hit. That makes me think more of the players not having their heads on straight than a coaching problem.

I think one thing for sure is, we don't have strong leadership at q/b and we are weak at w/r.

GBR!!!

Maybe it's a little of both, but I personally haven't seen a difference in O-line play between this group of coaches and the Callahan group. Both expressed a need for physical play and neither can/could deliver. I'm sure coach Cotton is a good coach, but both Cotton and Watson better get on the same page and start doing a better job of pounding the ball and protecting their QB's. If not, it won't matter who starts or plays, we will continue to see the same type of miscues and penalties as before.

GBR!!!

The following is a JOKE

Check his bank account

The preceding was a JOKE

I am sure no one feels worse than he does, however his learning curve SHOULD have a positive slope

That O-line looks pretty bad. Lee was getting blown up all day. No protection at all....and TT's D is not that good. Our receivers aren't doing that great either. Lot's of drops. I hope this loss @ home lights a big fire under the whole teams ass. I think Lee will definitely start against ISU...but I'm all about seeing what the kid can do.

I've said this in another thread and I stand by it. Right now the only two things you can count on from this line right now is Ricky Henry will get a personal foul or holding penalty, and the line as a whole will cash in 30 yards of penalties like clockwork.

It burns down to coaching. They're not coached to play tough and disciplined, so they don't. What else could be the problem?

If your offensive line doesn't block then the whole offense will come crashing down IMO. Obviously the QB is a huge part of the offense, but if the guy has no time to throw or make plays then it doesn't matter if he's the greatest QB to ever play the game. Lee doesn't have the talent or mindset to deal with the O-line feeding him to the wolves. Obviously, that's a problem that needs addressed and if he needs to be benched then fine. Your running game can only do so much with a poor O-line as well. Helu is only going to be able to carry us so far and then he's just going to wear down. The O-line needs to figure out their issues and get them fixed asap before OU comes to town. We might be able to squeak out some wins against ISU and BU, but I doubt it at this point.

What confuses me so much is how can an O-Line be so terrible when it practices against one of the best D-Lines in the nation? Thats telling me that the coaches need to coach intensity just like the D-Line is getting coached because whatever they are practicing is working.

I'm not sure if the problem is cotton or not but we need to find it and quick. It is the coaches job to make sure the players have their heads on straight. The penalties inside the redzone always make me break things and I hate breaking things

Cotton is the OL coach, Watson tells him what type of guys he want to run his system, big, tall, long guys like the Big 10, not the 6'2"-6'5" guys that are build powerful in the legs that can drive folks. Husker Power emphasized power cleans and leg explosiveness, pass blocking requires long armed, tall guys on the edges with big benches.

In my opinion the single greatest reason why we lost. Zac Lee had zero protection.

that is about it, can't run or pass unless those big boys do there job, which they have not done. Do they ever go 1's vs. 1's in practice? I think a good practice is line up the O and D line, let Suh and Co get them in game shape.