The "Change the Offense" rants are Stupid!!

Look guys, if Joey Ganz was still QB, Nebraska would be 6-0 right now and probably ranked 4th in the country. No one, I mean no one, would be ragging on Shawn Watson, and our offense would probably be averaging similar numbers to last season. Hell, Ganz WOULD be a potential Heisman candidate.

Does Watson need to simplify things? Do we need to address a lot of issues? Hell yes, its stupid to continue running things without the proper personnell in place.

But our problems stem from QB issues first and foremost. DJ Jones does suck at right tackle, and our receivers are dropping easy catches. But our pass pro wasn't great last season, and our wideouts have been average for a while now. Ganz was just the difference. He almost always felt the pressure. He knew when to step up in the pocket. He knew when to take off and run, and he also knew how to find an open man through improvisation.

We've had open receivers the last two games, but Lee is not hitting them. His biggest problem is throwing on the run. It's like he has no vision downfield when he escapes the pocket. He also does a poor job of feeling pressure. If a pass rusher rushed up field and got around one of the tackles, Ganz was always able to feel the pressure and step up the pocket. Lee lacks that ability.

It's time to go with Cody Green, take your lumps, win the North by default, and work towards a big season in 2009. One thing Cody did extremely well on Saturday was stepping up in the pocket to avoid the sack. One has to wonder that had he been in the game earlier, how would he have fared running the zone read? IMO, a 5 or 6 yard gain for Lee is 10 to 15 for Green. Secondly, it means the defense can't just key on Helu.

It's time to go with Green. Change the QB, go young, help the Environment, Go GREEN!!

Look guys, if Joey Ganz was still QB, Nebraska would be 6-0 right now and probably ranked 4th in the country. No one, I mean no one, would be ragging on Shawn Watson, and our offense would probably be averaging similar numbers to last season. Hell, Ganz WOULD be a potential Heisman candidate.

Does Watson need to simplify things? Do we need to address a lot of issues? Hell yes, its stupid to continue running things without the proper personnell in place.

But our problems stem from QB issues first and foremost. DJ Jones does suck at right tackle, and our receivers are dropping easy catches. But our pass pro wasn't great last season, and our wideouts have been average for a while now. Ganz was just the difference. He almost always felt the pressure. He knew when to step up in the pocket. He knew when to take off and run, and he also knew how to find an open man through improvisation.

We've had open receivers the last two games, but Lee is not hitting them. His biggest problem is throwing on the run. It's like he has no vision downfield when he escapes the pocket. He also does a poor job of feeling pressure. If a pass rusher rushed up field and got around one of the tackles, Ganz was always able to feel the pressure and step up the pocket. Lee lacks that ability.

It's time to go with Cody Green, take your lumps, win the North by default, and work towards a big season in 2009. One thing Cody did extremely well on Saturday was stepping up in the pocket to avoid the sack. One has to wonder that had he been in the game earlier, how would he have fared running the zone read? IMO, a 5 or 6 yard gain for Lee is 10 to 15 for Green. Secondly, it means the defense can't just key on Helu.

It's time to go with Green. Change the QB, go young, help the Environment, Go GREEN!!

King -- great post. We often view things somewhat differently but here I could not agree more. Time to play the young QB and take the lumps now, develop and the bright future will, hopefully, arrive sooner.

Lee is giving what he can and we should commend him for it. He has heart. But the offense needs a new direction and giving Green a shot is what is the logical next step. The "Green Experiment" may not work any better --- or might be an improvement --- who knows. But... we know what we have seen and we want no more of it. Bring on Green.

Roy is a fine back and a gamer --- but hurting. We need a back to step up. And, as you said before, the OL is not playing well. There are plenty of personnel issues and a dearth of talent on the NU offense (folks this offense is, talent wise, no better than 35-45th in the nation or thereabouts). As King points out, the Watson offense can work with the right people. The question is, can Wats adapt and play within the limited skill set of the players he has?

One thing to add to Kings post --- penalties. These have been devastating. They must stop.

You have some valid points. I do think Zac Lee is having a lot of troubles and may not be the answer to our offense.

That said, our offensive line is really not meshing at all this season, worse than they did last year. And, not having automatic receivers like Swift and Pederson around is really hurting us. I think if you compared our drop stats from this point last year to this year, there would be more drops this year. You threw a ball to Swift and Pederson, it was pretty much a guaranteed reception, and that isn't happening now.

This offensive problem is a culmination of things. Our running backs are hurt followed by guys who have no experience, our offensive line is committing penalties and blocking poorly, the receivers aren't catching balls, and Lee isn't finding the open guys. I think they are all having an equal effect right now.

Agreed, but it would be nice if the O-line stepped up their play as well.

I agree that Green should be in there learning what it takes to lead the team. From what I've seen of him, all of those "Vince Young" comparisons seems pretty close. We burned his redshirt, so let's start getting him the playing time. I think that we'll still win the North with him, inexperience and all. I'll take an inexperienced Vince Young any day.

We do need to add a power running game to the offense, because we desperately need one. Before anybody starts jumping all over me about an "old-time, run-only" attack, understand that I'm saying that we need to ADD the power game. I'm not saying that we should give up passing the football. Just cut out those handoffs out of the shotgun and calling it a running game stuff--it is pathetic. So yes, some offensive changes are definitely needed.

You have some valid points. I do think Zac Lee is having a lot of troubles and may not be the answer to our offense.

That said, our offensive line is really not meshing at all this season, worse than they did last year. And, not having automatic receivers like Swift and Pederson around is really hurting us. I think if you compared our drop stats from this point last year to this year, there would be more drops this year. You threw a ball to Swift and Pederson, it was pretty much a guaranteed reception, and that isn't happening now.

This offensive problem is a culmination of things. Our running backs are hurt followed by guys who have no experience, our offensive line is committing penalties and blocking poorly, the receivers aren't catching balls, and Lee isn't finding the open guys. I think they are all having an equal effect right now.

You nicely point out the problem. Lack of talent. Nothing will change at NU (at least change much) until the quality of recruits DRAMATICALLY improve. Look at the rosters of the top 5 programs in the nation --- they average 5-8 top 150 players per year (so... 25-35 or even 40 or more on the roster). The next 10 programs average 3 or 4 (15-20 on the roster). The next 10 have 2 or 3 a year (10 or 15 on the roster). NU? We have what....? I do not know how many.... maybe three on the whole roster? Any on offense? I think not.

We will get such talent only when we win. Thus, we must win with and win with an under-talented team --- we must play up. They must be coached up and perform at a level above their skill set. This IS what is happening with the NU defense --- they are playing well above their talent levels and are over-achieving. Very exciting to see and fun to watch. And precisely what is not happening on the other side of the ball. Great defensive coaching. Offensive coaching? Well..... not so hot.

The offense is NOT being coached up and is playing at (or even slightly below) their talent level. The offense must improve. The QB switch is one hopeful attempt and propelling the dead offense to life. But there is the under-talented OL and WR's too. There is much work to do.

I'm not buying the if we had Joey "pick 6" Ganz in there that we'd be 6-0. We might be moving the ball better, but we'd be turning it over more as well. Maybe if we had Swift and Peterson back, Lee's numbers and the offensive output would be better.

:yeah

I think Ganz gets more credit then he should and Swift/Peterson get less then they should. It helps to have 2 wideouts that knew how to get open.

Does this play out better in ppl's heads? 6-0 with Ganz? That dude had senior leadership at WR. He could count on Swift, Pederson, Nunn and Purify when things were bad. Who does Lee have? Plus Ganz had Murtha and Slauson in there. Zac Lee has not played well since the first few games, but come on man. It's not limited to him.. the o-line and recievers are a huge part of the mess. I'm okay with Green starting or getting his chance. But who gets to start and right and left tackle? What about right guard? And who is going to start at WR too? Dont just address QB. Address the entire offense.