49 Years a Husker.

T_O_Bull

I'm a lot older than a lot of the posters here. I have the same feelings as many of those who are tons younger than I am. I, however went through the years when many 'so called' Husker fans were calling for TO's firing. Thank God that never happened.

This year started out with great expectations. We came very close, so close, to beating VT, we almost felt like we had won. We then had an incredible come from behind win over Missouri. Our expectations then got out of hand and we started to expect things that were basically way out of the question. We have to remember how much damage was done to this program, both internal and external. Internal Pederson and his hire, Callahan spit in the face of Husker tradition and the NCAA implemented rules that would bring parity to college football. NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

Pelini has been here for two years. This is not yet his team, and yet it is my team and I'm happy with how he's doing with it, if you don't like what is goin' on here then have a great time some place else.

T_O_B

Spoken like a true vet.

I wasn't alive during the years when the T.O. job was being questioned, but I have read/heard a lot about it. Thank God patience paid off in huge dividends for the Husker program.

I too believe that Bo is doing the best he can at his current stage in the head coaching profession. He is a young guy who is still learning the ropes and how to balance all of the responsibilities that come with being a head coach. Heck, the guy has even openly admitted he is still nervous about getting on the Bo Pelini Show after every week's game in front of a live t.v. audience (always look like he has something poking him in the butt in that show).

But anyways, I have a lot of optimism. We may have to wait another 3 decades like what happened with T.O. until he got his first MNC, but I'm willing to take it because it will make the MNC that much sweeter.

GBR

I'm a lot older than a lot of the posters here. I have the same feelings as many of those who are tons younger than I am. I, however went through the years when many 'so called' Husker fans were calling for TO's firing. Thank God that never happened.

This year started out with great expectations. We came very cose, so close, to beating VT, we almost felt like we had won. We then had an incredible come from behind win over Missouri. Our expectations then got out of hand and we started to expect things that were basically way out of the question. We have to remember how much damage was done to this program, both internal and external. Internal Pederson and his hire, Callahan spit in the face of Husker tradition and the NCAA implemented rules that would bring parity to college football. NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

Pelini has been here for two years. This is not yet his team, and yet it is my tean and I'm happy with how he's doing with it, if you don't like what is goin' on here then have a great time with some place else.

T_O_B

Great post.. you could only imagine how crazy the calls for TO's head would of been had it been in the days of the message boards......Give him some time.. Bo's turned this defense around with mainly players that made the last one terrible, think what it's going to be like in the next 2-3 years? 5 years?

Loved this post. One of the great failings of our media age is that people are wired in 24 hours a day seven days a week. Every little thing is nitpicked to death and doom prophecies are dime a dozen by fans with too much time on their hands and a shortage of common sense.

Nebraska's got some issues right now––but look at Oklahoma and ask who's got a better record. We put out one poor performance after a weeklong media blitz that Nebraska's back and suddenly now we're staring down the barrel at 7-5. Please.

Bottom line is people need to chill out. There are changes which are needed and Bo knows it. He's working on it.

This year started out with great expectations. We came very cose, so close, to beating VT, we almost felt like we had won. We then had an incredible come from behind win over Missouri. Our expectations then got out of hand and we started to expect things that were basically way out of the question. We have to remember how much damage was done to this program, both internal and external. Internal Pederson and his hire, Callahan spit in the face of Husker tradition and the NCAA implemented rules that would bring parity to college football. NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

Pelini has been here for two years. This is not yet his team, and yet it is my tean and I'm happy with how he's doing with it, if you don't like what is goin' on here then have a great time with some place else.

T_O_B

I, too, am an old, old Cornhusker fan. My family's Cornhusker tradition goes all the way back to Bugeaters!

As frustrating as a loss like this is, as frustrating as it is to lose to anyone 4 times in a row and to lose big in our own stadium, I still like the direction Mr. Pelini is taking this team.

Yes, we are very weak in some key areas. Yes, we are inconsistent. No, we are not playing to our potential yet, but I challenge anyone to find a team that has come back so quickly from the destruction of their program (and our team was completely destroyed) as Mr. Pelini is doing with our beloved Cornhuskers.

I almost never post on here, but I will go to the guns for Mr. Pelini and this team because he is doing an incredible job with what he inherited. He will build it and they will come. But it will take YEARS, not one or two seasons. What was destroyed at Nebraska cannot quickly and easily be replaced. It took decades to get where we were before Pedersen gutted it with an implosion. It won't be back in two, or even five, maybe not even ten seasons, but it will be back.

In this age of instant gratification, we have a golden opportunity to learn patience, dedication, and good, old-fashioned hard work as we rebuild our team. Booing at our team is NOT part of the process, but knowing that our players are playing their hearts out, not giving up (I'm proud of them!), and doing their absolute best are the hallmarks of what made our team great.

Making it through these times will make the winning years so much more sweeter. Take it from me, I've been through all this before. The recovery and adjustment weren't so major before, but Mr. Pelini has the right stuff to get us exactly where we want to go. A journey of a thousand miles takes awhile. We had a million miles to go when he took over.

I too am an old husker fan. haven't missed many games on Tv or radio in 35 years. after Osborne took over, we had years of disappointment. It went something like this..we would win the Big 8 until thanksgiving, then maybe beat Oklahoma, maybe not. If we did and were good enough, we would go choke in big games even when we were favored..year after year...Penn State, Miami, Clemson, etc etc. We lost 2 national championships on the final play! Everyone woud say TO couldn't win big games. I forget the year now, but Osborne was going to be fired if he did not win the Blue bonnet bowl...the fricking blue bonnet bowl! how many of you have heard of that.

We used to load the program with scholarships for kids we did not want to play against. back then, there were only a few teams that got TV coverage. NU was one of them. We attracted a lot of talent because of this. Now...85 scholarships is the limit. everybody...and I mean everybody is on TV. Kids don't have to leave South FL anymore to be on TV, they can play for SFU and all of a sudden be in the top 25. these are the new realities. Parity is here to stay. Schools are learning there is big money in college football and they are investing in it. Minnesota has never really been a good program, but now they are in new beautiful facilities.

These events make this climb harder now than it was for TO. We likely won't see the 90's again as far as complete domination goes. It is going to take time.

I was deeply disappointed this weekend but this is going to take time. Bo was brought in because the defense needed fixed. I think that NU is becoming a destination for the best defensive players in the country who will skip South Beach for a chance to be coached by the best defensive minds in the country. Now he needs to direct his attention to fixing the O and do whatever that means. I think we are going to be in a good place 3 years from now. as painful as that sounds, whats another 3 years when I have 35 invested?

I too am lots older than most "huskerboarders"........guess I'm the old lady! I have been a fan since 1969 when a relative played under Bob Devaney. (He is now one of the "voice of the Huskers".) So I've been through thick & thin, but one thing remains, and that is that I'll be a Husker fan forever. I remember the days of Devaney, Osborne, Solich, etc. Loved to listen to Lyle Bremser on the radio! If you asked me then, (or you can ask me now), in my heart I think we are going to win every Saturday. There are better days ahead, as my Dad would say and as for me......I'll support them one way or another.

Go Big Red!

This year started out with great expectations. We came very cose, so close, to beating VT, we almost felt like we had won. We then had an incredible come from behind win over Missouri. Our expectations then got out of hand and we started to expect things that were basically way out of the question. We have to remember how much damage was done to this program, both internal and external. Internal Pederson and his hire, Callahan spit in the face of Husker tradition and the NCAA implemented rules that would bring parity to college football. NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Colorado, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

T_O_B

Fixxed it for you :woo

The parity issue--that's basically scholarship limits, right? Because the powerhouse teams used to grab all of the best players. If you have 5-10 great HS propects at each position, at least one of them ought to be great in college, and probably another one or two will be a great backup in case of injury or just to pile on the score later. Others might not pan out, or never get a chance to show how good they are. CFB and the NFL probably missed out on some great players who were buried on Alabama and Oklahoma's benches.

Nowadays, USC, Texas and Florida can't grab as many, but they still basically get their pick of the best, and it usually works out.

Where do you think Nebraska would be now if there were no parity? We get just a bit of the cream of the crop, but aren't even close to getting our pick of what we want. Mostly we get what USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc don't have room for. Look at the bottom 5 guys of each class (no specific names here). Do you look at them and go, wow, if we could get another 20 like that, it'd be AWESOME! Especially if every other school can do that? I think parity is our friend, not our foe.

Besides, I don't think it matters all that much. Many HS stars now try to find a spot where there isn't already an establish star, or leave if they aren't getting there chance. Once McCoy starting shining at Texas, Snead left, and I don't know that they got a big name QB until Gilbert last year, who knows McCoy is in his final year.

If you raise scholarship limits, the only difference would be the depth of those schools that wanted to offer more schollies. In the old days I'm not sure so many schools would do that. Now, you've got so many boosters at schools trying to buy recruits through top facilities. You think Oklahoma State wouldn't get into huge numbers of scholarships now? I don't know what they did in the 50s and 60s but I sure think they and a lot of other schools are more hardcore now.

I remember the blue bonnet bowl, my dad played in it and he gave me the watch from it!! that's what they used to give players--a watch. He also gave me his Big Eight Championship Ring when they beat OU his junior year...pretty much saved TO's job...

I remember the blue bonnet bowl, my dad played in it and he gave me the watch from it!! that's what they used to give players--a watch. He also gave me his Big Eight Championship Ring when they beat OU his junior year...pretty much saved TO's job...

Neat post

I am a 46 year fan and remember all the years we thought this will be the year. It took alot longer than we hoped. It's going to take some time to bring that feeling back but I think we are on track to get it done. When? Who knows but I'll be watching, listening and cheering the whole time.