49 Years a Husker.

T_O_Bull

I'm a lot older than a lot of the posters here. I have the same feelings as many of those who are tons younger than I am. I, however went through the years when many 'so called' Husker fans were calling for TO's firing. Thank God that never happened.

it's funny that whenever someone has a different opinion they are just "so called fans"

looking back, not firing TO was obviously the best thing happening to Nebraska but back then no one knew. Maybe we should have kept BC for another 20 years... :dunno

This year started out with great expectations. We came very close, so close, to beating VT, we almost felt like we had won. We then had an incredible come from behind win over Missouri. Our expectations then got out of hand and we started to expect things that were basically way out of the question. We have to remember how much damage was done to this program, both internal and external. Internal Pederson and his hire, Callahan spit in the face of Husker tradition and the NCAA implemented rules that would bring parity to college football. NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

Pelini has been here for two years. This is not yet his team, and yet it is my team and I'm happy with how he's doing with it, if you don't like what is goin' on here then have a great time some place else.

T_O_B

don't know when this parity thing in your opinion started but don't be afraid ...look at the top 25 today and have a look on the last 18 NC pretty much all traditional powerhouses

Miami, Fla. (AP)

Washington (Coaches)

Alabama

Florida State

1994, 1995

Nebraska

Florida

Michigan (AP)

Nebraska (Coaches)

Tennessee

Florida State

Oklahoma

Miami, Fla.

Ohio State

LSU (National Champs)

USC (#1 in AP Poll)

USC

Texas

Florida

LSU

Florida

Well now that we've all discussed our age and why that makes us a more devoted fan....

No you missed the point. TO Bull is preaching why patience is needed with Bo and Co using his experiences rooting for the Huskers for 40 years. I think lately it seems that a larger and larger section of the fan base only knows about the Huskers from the mid 90's on. When you compare Bo, or anyone in the country for that matter, to just that 5 year segment in time it is near impossible to measure up. A whole section of fans don't realize what TO went through to get to that point. How many losses to MU in the 70's, losses to OU in the 70's and 80's, how many Orange Bowls TO lost in, etc. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but I think TO Bull is expressing a bit of frustration those that are impatient and expressing why they shouldn't be so impatient by using TO as his example.

I don't think Bo Pelini would begrudge a single Nebraska fan for being upset by the quality of football Nebraska played last Saturday. Expectations can get a little crazy around here, but the lack of focus, discipline and urgency was pretty stunning. Competitive desire is the base expectation. The frustration isn't in thinking maybe we're not that good, it's knowing that we really aren't that bad.

There's no need to get nasty of course, but players whose feelings are hurt right now by fan reaction need to sack up quickly or they will have short careers and unhappy lives. As a fan I'm hoping they will. I'm betting they will, too. But I'll argue that if you aren't a little pissed by the product your favorite team put on the field last week, you're not a serious fan.

If we're providing our bonifides, I went to my first Husker game in 1965.

I remember the blue bonnet bowl, my dad played in it and he gave me the watch from it!! that's what they used to give players--a watch. He also gave me his Big Eight Championship Ring when they beat OU his junior year...pretty much saved TO's job...

Thats awesome. Who was our dad?

Well now that we've all discussed our age and why that makes us a more devoted fan....

No you missed the point. TO Bull is preaching why patience is needed with Bo and Co using his experiences rooting for the Huskers for 40 years. I think lately it seems that a larger and larger section of the fan base only knows about the Huskers from the mid 90's on. When you compare Bo, or anyone in the country for that matter, to just that 5 year segment in time it is near impossible to measure up. A whole section of fans don't realize what TO went through to get to that point. How many losses to MU in the 70's, losses to OU in the 70's and 80's, how many Orange Bowls TO lost in, etc. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but I think TO Bull is expressing a bit of frustration those that are impatient and expressing why they shouldn't be so impatient by using TO as his example.

TO has preached in several other threads that we need to respect his tenure as a Husker Fan, and that we should not boo, and stated that his longevity as a fan gave him the right to make these statements. His attitude has been very belligerent, including telling those who do not see the situation the same way to STFU.

That's what Ira is talking about. And that's BS. And TO should be called on it, even though we all respect him.

I don't think Bo Pelini would begrudge a single Nebraska fan for being upset by the quality of football Nebraska played last Saturday. Expectations can get a little crazy around here, but the lack of focus, discipline and urgency was pretty stunning. Competitive desire is the base expectation. The frustration isn't in thinking maybe we're not that good, it's knowing that we really aren't that bad.

There's no need to get nasty of course, but players whose feelings are hurt right now by fan reaction need to sack up quickly or they will have short careers and unhappy lives. As a fan I'm hoping they will. I'm betting they will, too. But I'll argue that if you aren't a little pissed by the product your favorite team put on the field last week, you're not a serious fan.

Well, I didn't mean to "establish my bonafides." There are many on here way more qualified to express observations and thoughts than I am. My intent was just as caveman said. We've been through down times and it always takes longer to come back than you want. I've experienced more than one of these down times and I'm encouraged by what I see in the past two years.

Also, I didn't see a let down in our players last weekend. I saw a lot of that under Callahan. If our players let down like that we would have lost 70 - 0 to Missouri. Our players stayed in the game until the end and I think they're establishing a good . I'm sorely disappointed in the booing. I don't subscribe that these are "kids" playing, they're young men, but THEY are the ones playing, not us. We can be disappointed in their play, but booing is nothing but poor sportsmanship.

Also, I didn't see a let down in our players last weekend.

Maybe we weren't watching the same game.

Even the sportscasters were commenting on the Husker's almost bizarre lack of urgency in the second half.

To go along with poor execution and mistakes you just shouldn't be making six games into the season.

It was the offensive equivalent of a Callahan defense.

Well said

Also, I didn't see a let down in our players last weekend.

Maybe we weren't watching the same game.

Even the sportscasters were commenting on the Husker's almost bizarre lack of urgency in the second half.

To go along with poor execution and mistakes you just shouldn't be making six games into the season.

It was the offensive equivalent of a Callahan defense.

I didn't see the players let down at all. They didn't quit. I was frustrated with the lack of sense of urgency, too, but that was a coaching/schema failing, not the players. The coaches should have called for the quick offense, but when the ball snapped, I saw the players doing their best. I didn't see anyone stop before the whistle and they kept trying. They didn't let down with Missouri. If this offense was the equivalent of a Callahan defense, we wouldn't have scored more than two or three FGs and we certainly wouldn't have come back to win that game in those miserable conditions.

I think our current offense is set up around the quarterback reading the defense and then adjusting the play called. They kept in this scheme for too long because, I suspect, our coaches don't have a good quick-call offensive scheme. I just think that's where our program is right now. We don't have all the tools in place to be that top team that can totally adapt to any situation yet. It's only been two years!

In our disappointment at lack of offensive production, we need to be careful to not project lack of character onto the players that isn't deserved. They played hard and they wanted to win. Look at their eyes compared to what we saw in players' eyes during Callahan. I hated the Callahan era when our players just quit at halftime or ealier. I don't see these players quitting. I see the program digging itself out of the shattered remains of the crater left by Pedersen and Callahan. Unlike Callahan, they're moving forward, not backward, and that's a good thing.

WE, as fans, need to be part of the POSITIVE rebuilding of the program. Mr. Pelini is doing an awesome job with what he started with. Our players are OUR players. This is OUR team and by God, I'm going to the wall for them. Encourage the program, criticize the program, don't tear down our players, our team. (I don't consider Callahan's teams OUR teams.)

Geeze, diarrhea of the board... Sorry. Started to get a little old-geezer passionate there.

I'm bitterly disappointed in the loss. I'm frustrated and anxious. But, deep down, from what I've seen, compared to what's happened in the recent and ancient past, I'm encouraged and hopeful.

I love my country but don’t like some of the stuff that it’s “leaders” are doing does that mean I should not voice my displeasure about that stuff? You know because the current administration has only been in office for a little under a year now. Maybe I should just move to Mexico if I don’t like it right?

You can still be a fan of a team and not be happy with what is going on that doesn’t mean you will stop cheering for them.

“Sit down shut up and conform to the rules or you can go cheer for some other team.” That is crap is tired and very old.

For the record I am almost 35 so I have been around through the good times and the bad. For the record that doesn’t make me anymore of a fan then some 20 year old or it doesn’t make me any less of a fan then some 49 year old.

NCAA College football doesn't need parity, it needs Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Penn State, Texas, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, FSU, and Nebraska to be in the mix.

All of these teams have been ranked at one point during the year and 7 of them still are with 6 of those in the Top 11 (ESPN).