Bo Pelini: Zac Is Our QB

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini wants his offense to show some life after struggling during a recent two-game losing streak.

The Cornhuskers have managed only 17 points in the last two games. But Pelini said Monday on the Big 12's teleconference that the recent offensive problems aren't personnel related.

“Where that spark comes from, that's for us to determine,” he said. “I think that could come from a lot of different areas. We need to light a fire under it. Somebody's got to step up and make some plays.”

Some fans have been critical of Zac Lee, who played the entire game in the Cornhuskers' 9-7 loss to Iowa State, completing 20-for-37 passes for 248 yards.

Lee's performance wasn't flawless, but he still graded out "pretty well," according to Pelini. Freshman quarterback Cody Green saw no action, despite earlier hints from Pelini he would be playing.

And Pelini said that no changes at the position are imminent heading into Saturday's game at Baylor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/5701/pelini-wants-offensive-improvement-after-recent-struggles

What I dont understand is what could it possibly hurt to start Green against Baylor & see what he can do. I'm not trying to bash Lee or anything, but clearly our offense needs a spark & Lee is not providing it. Maybe Green isnt the answer but we wont know until give him a shot.

What I want to emphasize is that against TT, Zac Lee was the QB for 9 possessions & all he produced was a field goal. Green was QB for 3 possessions & he produced a touchdown. Pelini says Green is not ready, & maybe hes not. All I know is that those statistics dont lie & when he was given a chance Green produced more than Lee.

Does it really matter who's playing QB when a receiver catches the ball and runs 40 or 50 yards then gets hit below the knee for Christ's sake and begins bobbling the ball until it hits the carpet and is recovered by the D? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball hits the receiver right in the hands then the receiver bobbles it and it's picked off by the defense? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball is handed off to the running back and the running back runs 5 or so yards then gets hit laying the ball on the carpet for the defense to recover?

I know everyone wants a spark, but there was very little I saw Saturday that a different QB would have/could have changed.

Does it really matter who's playing QB when a receiver catches the ball and runs 40 or 50 yards then gets hit below the knee for Christ's sake and begins bobbling the ball until it hits the carpet and is recovered by the D? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball hits the receiver right in the hands then the receiver bobbles it and it's picked off by the defense? Does it really matter who's playing QB when the ball is handed off to the running back and the running back runs 5 or so yards then gets hit laying the ball on the carpet for the defense to recover?

I know everyone wants a spark, but there was very little I saw Saturday that a different QB would have/could have changed.

Exactly. Of all the things that went wrong, Lee was the least of them this game.

From a completely objective point of view...

Lee didn't fumble on the first play from scrimmage.

The interception on the goal line was a take-away by the defense. Lee put the ball on the money.

Lee didn't poke the ball out of Paul's hands.

Lee was 20 yards away when Helu fumbled again.

Lee was 10 yards away when Robinson was stripped. (Nice of Keith Williams to get in Robinson's face though)

Lee was nowhere near Holt when he was stripped.

Lee hit Gilleylen in the hands....

Then Lee threw an interception.

If you blame that loss on Lee it's because you feel the need for a scapegoat.

While I try not to be an armchair quarterback...all I can say is :facepalm:

Our offense needs some sort of shakeup, in my opinion. We're obviously not going to abandon the WCO, so I think the offense needs to be stirred up a bit. All the lack of offensive productivity can't be attributed solely to flukes, turnovers...

Again, just my opinion...

The interception on the goal line was a take-away by the defense. Lee put the ball on the money.

Lee was 10 yards away when Robinson was stripped. (Nice of Keith Williams to get in Robinson's face though)

Good points

I cant believe i am doing this, but i agree with a Mizzou fan.....ouch that hurt and almost as bad as our loss agianst ISU.

Good points

Indeed. The problem that I see here is that the QB is "known" for being the offensive leader and since the offense didn't/hasn't produced, it's the calling for Lee's head. Problem I have is that if Green starts and offense doesn't produce, then what? Do we go back to a QB that has already had his head called for? Do we pull another shirt in Martinez? Do we go with a one year removed LB? I'm just not sure where everyone wants to go with this. Keep in mind, and I have faith that the coaching staff is making the best decision they can. If you put Green out there and he is not ready, you are killing his confidence, that will probably carry through the rest of this year, and possibly into next year, where they put themselves int the same situation at QB. Just my .02

I can't believe I am agreeing with a MU fan, but the guy is right, minus the interception on the goal line....that was a bad pass. This loss cannot be pinned on Lee. He didn't play particularly well, but ultimately he didn't cost us the game.