SIGNED S Corey Cooper

chamrocck

• 4 weeks later...

Found this old interview of Cooper from Aug. 2009. It's an interesting read considering how it all ended up for him.

Corey Cooper to take visits

By Jesse McCormack/ThaRinger.Com

August 6th, 2009

There are many questions surrounding not only Maywood, Illinois’ Corey Cooper, but also his good friend Kyle Prater. TR caught up with Corey who answered questions about his friend, where his Illinois commitment currently stands, and more.

Cooper is one of the key players on his Proviso East High School squad, one that finished 8-3 last year and has high hopes for the upcoming season.

“We went 8-3 and lost in the second round of playoffs.” Cooper said. “This year our goal is to win state and I think that’s a possibility, so I think we should get to states this year.”

“We’re a real fast team. We’re not very big but we have a lot of speed, so our defense gets to the ball really fast and our offense makes plays.”

One of those the many questions Cooper frequently gets asked is not about himself, rather about close friend Kyle Prater and his high profile recruitment.

“We’re best friends, I grew up with him and I’ve known him almost my whole life so we’re pretty tight.” Cooper offered. “It’s (going to the same school) been coming up a lot. There’s a chance we may play together but we both have to make our best decision for ourselves.”

“Yeah, I’ve been talking to him about Illinois for a while now so hopefully it will pay off and he will come here.”

“I honestly think he’ll end up at Illinois but he’s got other big programs he’s considering, but I think Illinois.”

As for Cooper’s recruitment, he committed to Illinois some time ago, but admits he’s keeping the door open for certain schools

“I had 19 total offers before I committed some schools that offered me are still recruiting me and I may still take a few more visits. I think it’s (his commitment to Illinois) a firm commitment, but I’m not going to close the door until signing day cause anything can happen, so I’m just going to leave the door cracked a little bit.”

“Outside of Illinois, I’m considering Notre dame, Arizona, Tennessee, Stanford and Missouri.

Though Cooper’s still considering several schools, there are two that stand out in his book, both of which he plans to take official visits to.

“My favorites out of those I would say are Tennessee and Arizona.” he said. “At Arizona they have a good coaching staff with NFL experience he’s a cool guy and he puts people into the NFL. At Tennessee they got a new staff but I like coach Kiffin and he’s young and I like the energy. I can see myself playing there."

“I’ll wait till the season start to take some officials. For sure I want to take some to Arizona and Tennessee but those are the only two I know for sure.”

While Cooper wants to see some other schools, he maintains he still likes Illinois, and it would take something drastic for him to switch his commitment.

“I think there’s a possibility I could change my commitment on campus but I will probably wait until signing day.” he said. “It would take something real good because I really like Illinois, so it would take something real major for me to change my commitment.”

“I would say something would have to go wrong at Illinois to change my commitment unless I just see an opportunity where I feel more wanted and can play right away and more comfortable with an area that’d I’d be living in for four years. Maybe like a bad season or a coaching change on the defensive side of the ball or maybe one of the coaches that’s recruiting me gets fired. Something like that would have to happen.”

Cooper says his biggest strength is his instincts, but he still needs to improve on his tackling, and that he too often goes for the big hit.

He comes in at #264 in ThaRinger.com’s Top 300 for the Class of 2010, and plans on playing the in 2010 US Army All-American Game.

• 3 months later...
NU signee Cooper takes preparation seriously

By Rich Kaipust

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — It would be hard for Aaron Peppers to imagine any Nebraska football newcomer being more excited about his pending arrival than Corey Cooper.

Cooper has been talking incessantly about NU since signing in February, according to Peppers, his former coach at Proviso East High in Maywood, Ill.

Cooper has been wearing Husker shirts and hats, and Peppers said the Cooper family was decked out in red and white for his recent graduation party.

But, most important, Cooper has been working out with a businesslike attitude that should keep the shock or surprises to a minimum when Nebraska starts its summer conditioning program Monday.

“On a scale of one to 10, he's a 25,” Peppers said. “He's bleeding Cornhusker red already.

“It'll be a joy to him. He enjoys working out. He's ready. He's been ready for years for this.”

The 6-foot-2, 202-pound safety will be among those coming to campus this weekend. Along with workouts, Cooper will be taking two classes during the first session of summer school.

Peppers said Cooper already understands the discipline it will take, partly from his father, Corey Sr., who is a police officer and former Purdue cornerback who played with Rod Woodson and Jim Everett. And partly from Peppers, by day a patrolman for the Maywood police department.

Other help came from spending time with former Proviso East players who would return to the school to work out.

“I always sit them down before they leave and just let them know that when you play college football, you become a machine,” Peppers said. “All the other kids on campus are partying and having a good time, and you've got morning lifts and morning runs. Yeah, you've got a scholarship and it's worth this many dollars or that many dollars, but understand they're going to get it from you. If you're not ready, this might not be for you.

“Kids call back all the time and say, ‘Man, Coach, you weren't playing.' ”

Cooper has been following a Husker workout regimen since making the last-minute decision to sign with NU. He goes over his Husker playbook in his free time and calls assistant coach Marvin Sanders about once a week. He met some future teammates at the spring game, including Kenny Bell and Ciante Evans.

“I really don't know how much more I can do,” Cooper said. “I just feel I'm prepared to go away on my own and do what I've got to do.

“It's something I've been waiting on for a while. It's finally getting here. I'm ready for it.”

Cooper decided not to run track as a senior but still did some of the warmups and training with the team. But his commitment to lifting, Peppers said, is what you notice first.

“I mean, he's cut,” Peppers said. “I scare him all the time by telling him, ‘They're going to make you a 'backer. Eventually, I'm just letting you know, you're going to be one of the fastest outside linebackers on the field.' He don't like hearing that, at least right now.”

Cooper was ranked as the No. 4 prospect out of Illinois in the 2010 signing class. As a senior, he made 70 tackles with two interceptions and 16 pass breakups, while also catching 43 passes for 852 yards and nine TDs.

NU defensive coordinator Carl Pelini has said the intent will be to redshirt all the freshman newcomers on defense next season, but Cooper hasn't let that affect how he's prepared.

Some friends will be out having fun this summer, but he'll keep his mind on what he's doing instead of what he's missing.

“This is what I signed up for, so it's not hard to go there early and get used to what's going to help me when the season starts,” Cooper said. “It's just barbecues and parties, but that's cool.”

LINK

Hmm, with Cooper, and now Klachko this year in the fold, is NU trying to establish themselves in the Illinois?

This would definitely prepare us for big 10 play, getting our foot in the door in a big 10 state. And Illinois is a surprisingly talent-rich state.

That MAYBE part of it, but the major factor is that Coach Sanders is from Chicag and has alot of ties in Illinios higschool scene.

Hmm, with Cooper, and now Klachko this year in the fold, is NU trying to establish themselves in the Illinois?

This would definitely prepare us for big 10 play, getting our foot in the door in a big 10 state. And Illinois is a surprisingly talent-rich state.

and Illinois is a surprisingly horrible team. :lol:

Historically we've always recruited Illinois. Coach McBride handled the Illinois recruiting back in the day. To name a few respected names off the top of my head from Illinois:

Marvin Sanders (S)

Joe Ganz (QB)

Carlos Polk (LB)

Ed Stewart (LB)

Nate Turner (WB)

Historically we've always recruited Illinois. Coach McBride handled the Illinois recruiting back in the day. To name a few respected names off the top of my head from Illinois:

Marvin Sanders (S)

Joe Ganz (QB)

Carlos Polk (LB)

Ed Stewart (LB)

Nate Turner (WB)

solid post..........

good post. I think are recruiting will continue to improve nationwide for many reasons. With the most important two being 1.winning(back in the national spotlight) and 2.Our coaches relationships with the high school and Junior college coaches. This staff is hard working and sincere. They do things the Nebraska way. by that I mean the right way. Just like they coach the kids hard work and perseverance. no shortcuts. In the end it will pay off and we will be back in our rightful place as a consistent top ten program. Obviously are tradition, facilities, and fans come in handy in the recruiting process to.

They've been trying to get in Illinois for a while now. Marvin Sanders in from the Chicago area, so obviously that's always somethings to use as a strength in recruiting.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...