Jason Peter on BRWU

Ok the people that summed it up didn't really explain it right and that's why people may be slamming Peter. If you didn't watch it everyone really should try. In reference to the Dillard comment..he said he doesn't think the totem pole is right. He said when he was a redshirt he had to sit in the stands, which drove him more and more bc he just couldn't stand to not be on the field. He said that's what he thinks is going on with Dillard bc he didn't play for a while and he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him. He never compared him to anyone else, he just said that he's ONE of the players that's playing lights out. He also said that he doesn't like the current offense we have bc it breeds softness, which I agree with. He pointed out the jet screens and things of that nature as a run in this offense. He said coaches will tell you its the same as a run, but its really not bc when you run you begin to tear down a defenses will power and by the end they don't want to be there anymore. He did say that when he played they practiced so hard on tuesdays and wednesdays that when he got to the games they were a joke. Kuegler asked him if he thought they had the depth to do that now and he said look they have young guys that are ready you see them playing now so let them step up and make plays. which again I agree with (Ward and Okafor haven't even been given a chance) the reference about the backs holding the ball like a loaf of bread was made in reference to tray robinson only, not the "backs" as a whole. like I said though, you really need to watch it to get a guage for his passion and intensity when talking about these subjects.

Ok the people that summed it up didn't really explain it right and that's why people may be slamming Peter. If you didn't watch it everyone really should try. In reference to the Dillard comment..he said he doesn't think the totem pole is right. He said when he was a redshirt he had to sit in the stands, which drove him more and more bc he just couldn't stand to not be on the field. He said that's what he thinks is going on with Dillard bc he didn't play for a while and he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him. He never compared him to anyone else, he just said that he's ONE of the players that's playing lights out. He also said that he doesn't like the current offense we have bc it breeds softness, which I agree with. He pointed out the jet screens and things of that nature as a run in this offense. He said coaches will tell you its the same as a run, but its really not bc when you run you begin to tear down a defenses will power and by the end they don't want to be there anymore. He did say that when he played they practiced so hard on tuesdays and wednesdays that when he got to the games they were a joke. Kuegler asked him if he thought they had the depth to do that now and he said look they have young guys that are ready you see them playing now so let them step up and make plays. which again I agree with (Ward and Okafor haven't even been given a chance) the reference about the backs holding the ball like a loaf of bread was made in reference to tray robinson only, not the "backs" as a whole. like I said though, you really need to watch it to get a guage for his passion and intensity when talking about these subjects.

:) Yea, it was a little tough to sum it up. I didn't want to type a novel. Watching it would be your best bet. :thumbs

Anyone know when they normally post the archive link? Later tonight or tomorrow?

It's up already.

Watch it here.

Also,

Our new OC?

Made me lol hardcore.

I was hoping people took it as a joke. He was just talking a lot of smack about the Offense so I thought maybe he was putting his name in the hat for the new OC.

I figured you were.

But it sounds like he's gunning for the AD position. :lol:

I'm sick and tired of Jason Peter bringing up the his playing days and comparing every team to the Husker teams of the mid 90's.

I don't listen to his radio show anymore, same ole, same ole.

To which teams would you like them compared? He knows what went on during that time so that's naturally what he uses as a comparator.

yeah, but - no offense to him and his accomplishments - he's just thumping his own chest and being one of those annoying "well back in MY day we did everything so much better than you scrubs" characters. Totally unnecessary.

He's passionate, which is good, but a little too holier-than-thou, if that's the right analogy. Good thing he's just a radio voice that a lot of people don't give a whole lot of credence to. We have thousands of former players, they're each entitled to their own opinion.

* - to qualify, he makes some good points and I guess he's got a sharp haircut.

I'm sick and tired of Jason Peter bringing up the his playing days and comparing every team to the Husker teams of the mid 90's.

I don't listen to his radio show anymore, same ole, same ole.

To which teams would you like them compared? He knows what went on during that time so that's naturally what he uses as a comparator.

yeah, but - no offense to him and his accomplishments - he's just thumping his own chest and being one of those annoying "well back in MY day we did everything so much better than you scrubs" characters. Totally unnecessary.

He's passionate, which is good, but a little too holier-than-thou, if that's the right analogy. Good thing he's just a radio voice that a lot of people don't give a whole lot of credence to. We have thousands of former players, they're each entitled to their own opinion.

* - to qualify, he makes some good points and I guess he's got a sharp haircut.

He is beating his chest in a way.. but he also has a point too... He was part of the greatest run in college football history. Sure, it was in a different day and age of college football, but calling for the coaches to do something more similar to that is not outside the box... and i think we've seen more physical stuff from this staff than the previous. seems maybe it does need to get a little more physical? I don't know.. i don't go to practice and see what happens so i can't really make that judgment, but it's not killing peter to say it.. i mean it DID work even if it was 10-15 years ago. plus, this IS what he's gettin paid for.

I think the whole interview pretty much summed up what everyone on this board has been saying. I found myself aggreeing with just about everything. maybe we are not deep enough to go 1's on 1's full speed right now, but we have to get back to that. this was a big complaint of callahan- no physical practices and it showed on the field.

we are soft blocking on O with the WCO(squat and protect instead of blowing everyone off the line Dave Rimington style). we need to be running more power game or working/recruiting towards it, we need to quit burning redshirts without reps and having everyone stand around studying the 270 play playbook. get the redhshirts in the stands, use this tight ends more, bring the game back to the middle of the field, quit with the damned flat passes and start looking down field and start blocking down field. start running down field.

I know we probably recruited a lot of kids to run the WCO under callahan which is a different blocking technique than driving down the field 5 yard at a clip. maybe we are just playing with the kids we have. I really hope we are recruiting back to some of the old ways. if not, we are not going to get a much different team in the future. the Percy Harvins are not coming here, period.

recruit and play for speed on d for all this pass happy crap and recruit on O for power . no one will know or have the horses to defend a power Offense.

I realy miss the game football used to be. Power football and attitiude won in the trenches. lining up and punching your guy in the face. pounding the rock and making everyone respect it. Now its about pretty receptions and pass happy O. Its like baseball becoming a homerun derby. I really do not like what college football has become in the last 10 years(not just because NU has fallen off).

off topic: every time i listen jason peter, i get more and more impressed with him as a speaker. he's come a long why from where he started.

but back to what he was saying: 30min 1-v-1 scrimmages in as close to game day as you can get back in the 90s sound good. you would think coach ron brown would be the first proponent for that type of practice.

why is this not happening?

Thanks for the heads up. Caught the last few minutes and will watch the whole thing on line later. I think he has good insights. It was interesting how he mentioned when Lee is getting flustered later in games and is changing the play he only tells the change to the player he is going to. He said Oklahoma will eat this up if they don't change.

Any defense with a pulse will...

.............Or any defense without a pulse for that matter (ie. Iowa State)

jason is right and he is wrong. they did go more 1 against 1 in his day but they also had more kids on schollie and the backups were better than most of their opponents. that is why you see so many programs being more competitive while the top programs arn't stacked 4 deep. different era but some pts were just basic football and correct.