Jason Peter on BRWU

Ok the people that summed it up didn't really explain it right and that's why people may be slamming Peter. If you didn't watch it everyone really should try.

In reference to the Dillard comment..he said he doesn't think the totem pole is right. He said when he was a redshirt he had to sit in the stands, which drove him more and more bc he just couldn't stand to not be on the field. He said that's what he thinks is going on with Dillard bc he didn't play for a while and he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him. He never compared him to anyone else, he just said that he's ONE of the players that's playing lights out.

Yeah I get his point about wanting playing time motivating you, but I don't about the RFr. component. Ok so TO had a roster of 200 players and less players went pro early back then, today RFr. are a major component of the depth of a team. Bo has shown that he will take playing time away from players and give it to those that earn it in practice. He did it with Dillard, they are doing it this week by putting Cooper in over Holt, he did it with Dennard, coaches have talked openly about giving pt to the Fr. O-lineman Sirles and Qvale before he got hurt, etc. I mean the list goes on and on. Seems to me that Bo is slowly creating that competition environment that Jason talks about. We didn't really see that for 4 years, Bo is trying to re-establish that as a major component of the Program's Culture. I am surprised Jason can't see that this area is already improving and that the RFr. are integral to a team's depth these days.

He did say that when he played they practiced so hard on tuesdays and wednesdays that when he got to the games they were a joke.

While I can't say whether or not he practiced harder under TO than they are today under Bo, I am reminded of my Dad and Mom talking about walking both ways up hill, in the snow to get to school every day. Heck I have started that with my daughter. The farther in the past you did something, the recollection of it always tends to get distorted/over glorified. I think that is the case here. Remember that TO is the AD and has his finger on the pulse of the program every single day. I am sure that TO would mention something to Bo if he felt the program was being run too softly in practice.

Kuegler asked him if he thought they had the depth to do that now and he said look they have young guys that are ready you see them playing now so let them step up and make plays. which again I agree with (Ward and Okafor haven't even been given a chance)

Well Trey has gotten a chance so maybe that tells you something about what Ward and Okafor are showing in practice. Seems clear to me that Trey outperformed both of them in practice and earned the pt. Maybe the other 2 will get more of a shot this week if they hold Helu back. Hopefully they both realize that Trey outdid them last week and that motivates them to fight back to earn pt. We saw Cooper beat out both Holt and Curenski to be named the starter at the X Receiver slot this week, the young backs need to do the same.

Likes Zac Lee

Should probably review the segment because that is not what Jason said at all.

He said our best chance to win against Baylor and Iowa State is/was probably Zac Lee, however he thinks that burning Cody Green's red shirt was complete garbage since he hasn't gotten quality snaps and that our only chance of beating Oklahoma would be to have Cody Green at QB since we need a play maker. He feels Zac Lee doesn't have the confidence to take snaps under center and the plays we are calling atm match up with those Green ran at Dayton. He also mentioned Zac Lee not signaling change ups to all the receivers- instead he just signals to the one he is throwing to. This will be a disaster against OU when their secondary will merely pick for six on small things such as that.

Some of you are acting like the things Jason is saying aren't things we haven't heard 1,000 times over. I see nothing in there that hasn't already been said or discussed.

Jason is an arm-chart coach just like the rest of us.

And as far as the physicality comment, our practices have been a lot more physical with Bo here. They were soft, finesse practices when BC was coaching. I've talked to quite a few football players (who have been here for awhile) that said Bo's practices are much more physical than BC's ever were.

That said, I do agree with Jason as far as this part is concerned: I do think it is time to let these guys go at each other in practice and give younger guys the chance to make plays and earn some more PT.

Some of you are acting like the things Jason is saying aren't things we haven't heard 1,000 times over. I see nothing in there that hasn't already been said or discussed.

Jason is an arm-chart coach just like the rest of us.

And as far as the physicality comment, our practices have been a lot more physical with Bo here. They were soft, finesse practices when BC was coaching. I've talked to quite a few football players (who have been here for awhile) that said Bo's practices are much more physical than BC's ever were.

That said, I do agree with Jason as far as this part is concerned: I do think it is time to let these guys go at each other in practice and give younger guys the chance to make plays and earn some more PT.

I think the whole interview pretty much summed up what everyone on this board has been saying. I found myself aggreeing with just about everything. maybe we are not deep enough to go 1's on 1's full speed right now, but we have to get back to that. this was a big complaint of callahan- no physical practices and it showed on the field.

we are soft blocking on O with the WCO(squat and protect instead of blowing everyone off the line Dave Rimington style). we need to be running more power game or working/recruiting towards it, we need to quit burning redshirts without reps and having everyone stand around studying the 270 play playbook. get the redhshirts in the stands, use this tight ends more, bring the game back to the middle of the field, quit with the damned flat passes and start looking down field and start blocking down field. start running down field.

I know we probably recruited a lot of kids to run the WCO under callahan which is a different blocking technique than driving down the field 5 yard at a clip. maybe we are just playing with the kids we have. I really hope we are recruiting back to some of the old ways. if not, we are not going to get a much different team in the future. the Percy Harvins are not coming here, period.

recruit and play for speed on d for all this pass happy crap and recruit on O for power . no one will know or have the horses to defend a power Offense.

I realy miss the game football used to be. Power football and attitiude won in the trenches. lining up and punching your guy in the face. pounding the rock and making everyone respect it. Now its about pretty receptions and pass happy O. Its like baseball becoming a homerun derby. I really do not like what college football has become in the last 10 years(not just because NU has fallen off).

Yeah I couldn't say it better myself. I felt like Jason was hitting the nail on the head with his points. I like the redshirts in the stands, because we have seen that most guys that get redshirted will not play that year anyways. Robinson was an exception with the injuries we have at RB and the other guys not stepping up. When I was on JV basketball my sophomore year, I had a couple of buddies that made it to Varsity that year. I had to sit in the stands after the JV game to watch the Varsity. It sucked and it made me work harder to even get to the varsity level even if I was on the bench...so I like it.

The game of football may have changed with the pass happy offenses, but the old concepts are very much still viable. Run the ball down their throat...take away the defenses will to stop you. Just keep punching them in the face and make them not want to face you again.

Jason was also talking about how we throw it to the sideline and we get like 3 yards. Other schools run those plays and they can break it for big gains, because they have the speed to do it. Like he said...why not just pound the rock for 3 yards and chip away at the defense? You accomplish more that way.

How exactly would having redshirt freshmen sit in the stands benefit the team? I can give an argument why it would hurt the team . . . but how it could help eludes me.

Making redshirt freshmen sit in the stands could seriously hurt recruiting and team unity. How do you tell a recruit that he will practice every day and then sit in the stands like a fan and not be on the field celebrating with his team? It's a ridiculous argument as far as I'm concerned.

One more example of Peter saying "Well, this is the way we did it . . . so it must be the best way" . . . without bothering to explain why or how it would be beneficial.

He did explain it. He said that when he was in the stands it made him appreciate the game more and want to play more. It made him more motivated to get better so he would be able to get on the field and not have to sit in the stands. He compared that to the situation Dillard was in, he got the game taken away from him and he is playing like a motivated player bc he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him.

He did explain it. He said that when he was in the stands it made him appreciate the game more and want to play more. It made him more motivated to get better so he would be able to get on the field and not have to sit in the stands. He compared that to the situation Dillard was in, he got the game taken away from him and he is playing like a motivated player bc he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him.

I don't buy it. If you're in the stands you want to play. If you are on the sidelines, you want to play.

Recruits don't want to be in street clothes in the stands. They get to do that now.

I don't buy it. If you're in the stands you want to play. If you are on the sidelines, you want to play.

Recruits don't want to be in street clothes in the stands. They get to do that now.

I think what Peter fails to realize that Nebraska is in the rebuilding years and searching for thei identity. When he came here ,Nebraska already had a strong identity as a power house team, with depth charts already established. He also realized that there was no way in hell he was going to start as a red shirt Freshman. Different times, different situations. The guy is stuck in the 90's and really needs to let it go! He almost sounds like Al Bundy, "back in Polk High, I scored 4 touchdowns in one game!".

AlBundy33.jpg

I think what Peter fails to realize that Nebraska is in the rebuilding years and searching for our identity. When he came here ,Nebraska already had a strong identity as a power house team. He also realized that there was no way in hell he was going to start as a red whirt Freshman. Different times, different situations. The guy is stuck in the 90's and really needs to let it go! He almost sounds like Al Bundy, "back in Polk High, I scored 4 touchdowns in one game!".

AlBundy33.jpg

Yeah. Plus the real reason why they weren't on the sidelines was probably because our roster was so enormous.

I think what Peter fails to realize that Nebraska is in the rebuilding years and searching for our identity. When he came here ,Nebraska already had a strong identity as a power house team. He also realized that there was no way in hell he was going to start as a red whirt Freshman. Different times, different situations. The guy is stuck in the 90's and really needs to let it go! He almost sounds like Al Bundy, "back in Polk High, I scored 4 touchdowns in one game!".

AlBundy33.jpg

Yeah. Plus the real reason why they weren't on the sidelines was probably because our roster was so enormous.

BINGO!

How exactly would having redshirt freshmen sit in the stands benefit the team? I can give an argument why it would hurt the team . . . but how it could help eludes me.

Making redshirt freshmen sit in the stands could seriously hurt recruiting and team unity. How do you tell a recruit that he will practice every day and then sit in the stands like a fan and not be on the field celebrating with his team? It's a ridiculous argument as far as I'm concerned.

One more example of Peter saying "Well, this is the way we did it . . . so it must be the best way" . . . without bothering to explain why or how it would be beneficial.

Hard nose or pu&&y football

National champions or 9th in the Big 12 losing to Iowa State in front of 86,000 Husker fans and fumbling 8 times against a sick puking ISU second string

Duhhh!

Hard nose or pu&&y football

National champions or 9th in the Big 12 losing to Iowa State in front of 86,000 Husker fans and fumbling 8 times against a sick puking ISU second string

Duhhh!

That still does not validate your argument as to why it would be beneficial.

Yeah, it sure destroyed the team back then.