I'm just about the last guy to call for a coach's head

JTrain

After watching the offensive lines of Oregon and Kansas State tonight, I am seriously questioning whether Cotton is the guy for us in the long term. I certainly don't claim to know anything about playing or coaching the offensive line, but the end result after a year and a half is just way behind what should be expected.

Oregon ran mainly from shotgun, often with the zone read play, against a USC defense chock-full of talent, and had the following results:

49 carries for 492 yards (8.0 yards per carry), 4 TDs

Kansas State ran a more traditional running game, mostly from under center and often with a fullback. They played an outstanding OU defense that came in ranked 3rd in rush defense (70 ypg). Their results were more modest, but still impressive considering the talent differential:

29 carries, 149 yards (5.1 yards per carry), 3 TDs

Both of these lines were getting better as the game progressed, wearing out the defense and eventually getting large chunks of 10-15 yards. They were actually pushing people around and opening up nice run lanes.

Nebraska played a Baylor defense that was ranked 100th :dumdum in the country in rush defense. They have very little apparent identity. They seem to actually get worse as the game progresses. Here is what they accomplished:

38 carries, 145 yards (3.8 yards per carry), 1 TD

This is just staggering. It's hard to blame it on the talent, considering our linemen are probably ranked higher than KSU's and on par with Oregon's. I just don't see any possible way to excuse this. We should have rushed for 250+ yards and 6 ypc against this Baylor team. And we didn't even come close. Something is just not right with the way this offensive line is failing to make any significant improvement throughout the season or throughout individual games.

The problem is not Cotton in my honest opinion. The problem for me will always revert back to the playbook.

320 plays is far too many plays to know. I mean, could you imagine trying to memorize 320 plays? Granted, they use similar terminology to describe what is going on in a play, but that is still a fantastic amount of plays.

As I said in another thread, our team is average at everything and great at nothing, because they spend too much time trying to do everything. Which means, in my eyes, we have a 50/50 chance of being successful on any given play because we don't run it to perfection nor are we great at that play, we are just average at it.

How difficult it is to learn depends on the Terminology. There are Huge playbooks used by H.S. Teams because the Terminology is easy to understand.

Majority of the Blocking responsibilities have to do with where the defense is lining up.

The Line isn't executing proper technique. That and penalties are killing them.

After watching the offensive lines of Oregon and Kansas State tonight, I am seriously questioning whether Cotton is the guy for us in the long term. I certainly don't claim to know anything about playing or coaching the offensive line, but the end result after a year and a half is just way behind what should be expected.

Oregon ran mainly from shotgun, often with the zone read play, against a USC defense chock-full of talent, and had the following results:

Kansas State ran a more traditional running game, mostly from under center and often with a fullback. They played an outstanding OU defense that came in ranked 3rd in rush defense (70 ypg). Their results were more modest, but still impressive considering the talent differential:

Both of these lines were getting better as the game progressed, wearing out the defense and eventually getting large chunks of 10-15 yards. They were actually pushing people around and opening up nice run lanes.

Nebraska played a Baylor defense that was ranked 100th :dumdum in the country in rush defense. They have very little apparent identity. They seem to actually get worse as the game progresses. Here is what they accomplished:

This is just staggering. It's hard to blame it on the talent, considering our linemen are probably ranked higher than KSU's and on par with Oregon's. I just don't see any possible way to excuse this. We should have rushed for 250+ yards and 6 ypc against this Baylor team. And we didn't even come close. Something is just not right with the way this offensive line is failing to make any significant improvement throughout the season or throughout individual games.

If we could find a running game, OU proved they can be run on, KState can be run on, KU can be run on and CU can be run on.

If we could just find a damn running game, we will win the Big 12 North.

If we could find a running game, OU proved they can be run on, KState can be run on, KU can be run on and CU can be run on.

If we had a healthy group of running backs..........

:yeah

We were down to our 4th and 5th string backs. Combine that with a line that is below average at best, and you get what we saw today. Our offense sucks. Too many injuries, no depth, uninspired play, poor playcalling, all the above. I highly doubt we will suddenly find a running game. It wasn't that good to begin with, but without Helu and Burkhead this is probably the worst offense in the Big 12.

:yeah

We were down to our 4th and 5th string backs. Combine that with a line that is below average at best, and you get what we saw today. Our offense sucks. Too many injuries, no depth, uninspired play, poor playcalling, all the above. I highly doubt we will suddenly find a running game. It wasn't that good to begin with, but without Helu and Burkhead this is probably the worst offense in the Big 12.

The problem is not Cotton in my honest opinion. The problem for me will always revert back to the playbook.

320 plays is far too many plays to know. I mean, could you imagine trying to memorize 320 plays? Granted, they use similar terminology to describe what is going on in a play, but that is still a fantastic amount of plays.

As I said in another thread, our team is average at everything and great at nothing, because they spend too much time trying to do everything. Which means, in my eyes, we have a 50/50 chance of being successful on any given play because we don't run it to perfection nor are we great at that play, we are just average at it.

:facepalm:

One of the problems IS Cotton. When has he EVER shown to be competent as a coach?

And we do NOT have 320 plays to remember. We have a ton of the same plays, just ran out of different formations and according to personnel. It was the same exact way in the Callahan era. Everyone complained about that, but so many of our plays were the same, but only had small differences due to formation.

Heck, the playbook was the same way in the Osborne era in how we had pretty much the same plays just ran out of different formations constantly.

For an offensive lineman it truly does not matter how thick the playbook is. They learn how to read the defensive line and make adjustments. I agree with Coach Kevin that it is all about using proper technique.....they are not using it and it that is the reason why we cannot run. To use the 4th and 5th string excuse is a scapegoat for sure. They are D1 kids and should be able to pick up more than 3 yards a carry if they had a line that could block.

They also need to get nasty and play the game fast and physical. I just don't see this happening with this crew. In Cotton's defense, some of these guys were brought in to be pass blockers and not run blockers. It is hard to be great at both, but if they start bringing in guys that have a mentality that no one can defeat them and they are going to put people on the backs the running game will come. Until then, it just is not happening right now.

I do wonder how much time the 1s vs 1s go on in practice? It is obvious this does not go on....imagine going against Suh, Crick, and Potter on a daily basis....you would have to get a little better!

I agree, but wasn't it only 2 years ago that everyone and their brother on this fan blog were calling for Cotton to be the new HC? I laugh at the fact that all these armchair coaches think they know just about everything... until they ALL hop off the bandwagon and onto another. Love you one minute, want your head the next. Make up your flipping minds... or get a life.

I agree, but wasn't it only 2 years ago that everyone and their brother on this fan blog were calling for Cotton to be the new HC? I laugh at the fact that all these armchair coaches think they know just about everything... until they ALL hop off the bandwagon and onto another. Love you one minute, want your head the next. Make up your flipping minds... or get a life.

You know what I love? The selective memory people have. Like when someone reads maybe one, maybe two posts from someone two years ago, then claim "everyone and their brother" wanted Cotton as the new HC.

I remember those conversations. Maybe a couple of times a couple of people mentioned Cotton. He was discussed, but never as a really viable candidate. The prevailing sentiment was "Thanks, but no thanks." As I recall, Monte Kiffin got far more play than Cotton. And Kiffin was never really taken seriously.

You know what else I love? Gross exaggeration. Maybe that's why I nominate this for "best first post ever."

Stay gold, Pony Boy. :thumbs