Dealing with disappointment.

tmfr15

I remember last year's OU gameday like it was yesterday. I got up on Saturday thinking that we really wouldn't have much of a shot to win in Norman. Like this year, it was a night game, so that gave me all day to think about it and think of ways we could win. If we could just hang in there early. And Ganz is a pretty good QB. And, we looked good against T Tech and all that. My wife made chilli. It cooked slowly all day. I bought some of my favorite brew. Chilli, brew, a Husker win. I was set. Then the game started, and, you know the rest.

The chilli didn't taste as good. The beer didn't taste right either. The game was a wreck. I just wanted to go to bed and forget Saturday ever happened.

Obviously, over the past few years, we have gotten a lot of practice at this disappointment thing. It really sucks when it ruins your day or your weekend. Guess its part of the whole fan thing.

Any advice on getting past the case of the downs that follows an NU loss?

Not that it will happen tomorrow. Oh no, here I go again.

I remember last year's OU gameday like it was yesterday. I got up on Saturday thinking that we really wouldn't have much of a shot to win in Norman. Like this year, it was a night game, so that gave me all day to think about it and think of ways we could win. If we could just hang in there early. And Ganz is a pretty good QB. And, we looked good against T Tech and all that. My wife made chilli. It cooked slowly all day. I bought some of my favorite brew. Chilli, brew, a Husker win. I was set. Then the game started, and, you know the rest.

The chilli didn't taste as good. The beer didn't taste right either. The game was a wreck. I just wanted to go to bed and forget Saturday ever happened.

Obviously, over the past few years, we have gotten a lot of practice at this disappointment thing. It really sucks when it ruins your day or your weekend. Guess its part of the whole fan thing.

Could always try to throw a shot in the ole lady. That always cheers me up. My old lady, not yours.

Could always try to throw a shot in the ole lady. That always cheers me up. My old lady, not yours.

Thanks for clearing that up.... :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up.... :lol:

I deal with the disapointment in a big way also. Just think about this. Your not one of those kids who just let down thousand and thousands of fans. They must feel like absolute crap after the games they do poorly in. Remember that its just a game and there is always the next one. Its never easy being a fan of something.

It's hard to deal with the losses. Especially the ones that we could have, or are supposed to win.

When Nebraska loses, I really try and focus on the fact that it's just a game and there will always be games. I remember the championships and the good times and just think about how slowly but surely, we're getting there. It'll happen for Nebraska again. Sooner or later, it's going to happen.

As you mentioned, there should be lots of experience dealing with dissappointments. The ups and downs, it's been part of Husker football throughout its history. But all fans have to face this and deal with it.

Basically what I do is understand that win or lose, I love this game and only get to see it 12 or 13 weekends a year. That's the key. I embrace the momment since the offseason pretty much sucks. Throughout the game I get pissed off like anyone else, excited like anyone else, but when its over I know that we get another one the following week. Its fantastic.

Plus Saturday mornings are my best workouts of the week. From my experience, lift heavy on Saturdays. If you dont workout, do something else that will fatigue you physically and mentally. Shoot hoops, play flag football with your buds, go cycling for 20 miles, etc. Put all that energy to use brother!

That way later on you will enjoy your chili, your beers, and your honey-do. Then come on back here and partake in the meltdowns on the board. All 300 threads :)