Why Cody Green will start against Kansas

I am concerned with Lee's putting the ball behind the receivers where Green appears to be hitting them in stride..

In stride?? :rollin

green was 2 of 5 for 4 yards.

must have been some stride! :dunno

PASSING

OU: Landry Jones, 26-58-5-245.

NU: Zac Lee, 5-9-0-35; Cody Green, 2-5-0-4.

the coaches will start the right guy. :)

Landry Jones?

I was basing it on previous games and what little I saw of this one..By the time I got a good connection of the game online, Lee was already in the game..Didn't even see Green except on the sideline shot every few snaps. (were they trying to get a picture of him pouting?)

Still...A lot easier to catch the ball 18" in front of your chest than 18" behind tour butt.

I am concerned with Lee's putting the ball behind the receivers where Green appears to be hitting them in stride..

In stride?? :rollin

green was 2 of 5 for 4 yards.

must have been some stride! :dunno

PASSING

OU: Landry Jones, 26-58-5-245.

NU: Zac Lee, 5-9-0-35; Cody Green, 2-5-0-4.

the coaches will start the right guy. :)

Landry Jones?

I was basing it on previous games and what little I saw of this one..By the time I got a good connection of the game online, Lee was already in the game..Didn't even see Green except on the sideline shot every few snaps. (were they trying to get a picture of him pouting?)

Still...A lot easier to catch the ball 18" in front of your chest than 18" behind tour butt.

chest or butt, at the ankle or over the head, at 2-5 or 5-9, neither qb was lighting it up.

or has...

lately.

ok-- I guess in fairness, lee lit it up some vs sunbelt teams.

green has yet to "shine".

Bo knows football...

the coaches will start the best player. :)

The problem is the offense not really the QB. You put Tim Tebow in there and you will have a better offense, you put me in there and the offense will be worse but put in anyone thats in between me and Tebow and you won't really see a difference.

In all honesty, I don't think it would matter if Tebow was back there at QB. I'm not convinced even with Tebow that the offense would be any better.

Cody Green was sick with the flu yesterday which negatively impacted his performance. Zac Lee was brought in because Green was sick, even though he didn't look any better. A sick Cody Green is equivalent to a healthy Zac Lee. Cody Green will start against Kansas because:

1) He will be over the flu by next weekend

2) He is a running threat

3) His passing accuracy is better than Zac Lee

4) He has a better arm than Zac Lee

Look for Cody Green to start the rest of the season.

Zac is a more accurate passer than cody and gives us a better chance to win. The running threat is great but now that Helu is healthy it isn't needed as badly as it was when he is banged up

Yeah, he nailed that 1 yard pass. Cody couldn't have done that. Oh, or are you talking about all of those other TD passes that he had during the OU game?

Six of one, half dozen of the other at this point. But Cody needs to get more playing time, so it's better if he starts.

I'm too lazy to scroll up and see who mentioned the change in guys running the option, but the tough QBs were always willing to take the hit AFTER the pitch, and the moment of hesitation it caused the lineman stringing out the play often sprung the trailing back when the QB finally pitched. Or kept it. Guys like Frazier and Frost and Crouch would also use that moment of hesitation to slide inside on the keeper.

For the record, this was a more demanding and fine-tuned offense than the WCO.

And yeah, we've been seeing a stripped-down WCO for a few weeks now. Those screen passes were supposed to be a low-risk option for a QB who was wasn't keen on crossing patterns and too impatient (or engulfed by defenders) for deep routes.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson opened Zac Lee back up a little against a weaker D. Just might work. As long as Helu gets 20 - 25 carries to go with it.

In all honesty, I don't think it would matter if Tebow was back there at QB. I'm not convinced even with Tebow that the offense would be any better.

I think the offense would be better if it just got a little mojo back. Green and Lee are both better than they've been playing. Not much, but better. Enough to make a difference. Same with the receivers who got wide open on those WCO routes and simply dropped perfectly thrown balls.

Obviously the talent is limited, but sometimes a funk takes over the whole team. The most inept and porous defense I've ever seen in major college ball was that '07 Husker Defense. The '08 squad, which started slow, toughened up considerably as the season progressed. Many had been on that same inept '07 squad and all of them were Callahan guys. Chemistry and confidence can be fragile things.

A big part of Bo Pelini's job is not to let the second guessing by fans, reporters and internet obsessives infect the players.

Cody Green was sick with the flu yesterday which negatively impacted his performance. Zac Lee was brought in because Green was sick, even though he didn't look any better. A sick Cody Green is equivalent to a healthy Zac Lee. Cody Green will start against Kansas because:

Cody Green is over-rated, over-hyped and over his head. This dude will never be able to play BIG TIME college football. I can't get over why everybody has Cody Green mania. THIS DUDE HASN'T DONE NOTHING ALL YEAR and everybody wants him in there! WHy Why WHy ??? Lee is not much better. They need to recruit a BLUE CHIP quarterback who can run and pass the ball. Green and Lee are NOT the answers and never will be !!!

RG, did you high-side without your helmet on? Green has a lot of potential from what I've seen. The reason he got pulled against OU was because he threw his best looking pass to open field. The coaches saw that he and the receiver(s) were not on the same page. That was a problem the coaches didn't need and it was his last play. Once he learns the O he'll be fine. I'll take more good qb's though!

Zac is a more accurate passer than cody and gives us a better chance to win. The running threat is great but now that Helu is healthy it isn't needed as badly as it was when he is banged up

Yeah, he nailed that 1 yard pass. Cody couldn't have done that. Oh, or are you talking about all of those other TD passes that he had during the OU game?

Six of one, half dozen of the other at this point. But Cody needs to get more playing time, so it's better if he starts.

He did nail it. I don't see why the fact it was only 1 yard takes away from how well executed that play was. Nothing is a given, we of all fanbases should know that. Maybe Green runs it and doesn't sell the fake well enough so the end zone is more covered. Maybe he hesitates and get planted. Maybe he puts 20,000 lbs of mustard power on that pass and it breaks Ryan Hill's hand. Maybe he stares down the primary target (it wasn't Hill) on that play and we end up with a pick. Maybe a pick six. Sure, one yard's not a lot but it's never a sure thing to get especially in that situation. You don't get it by sucking.

Zac is just a flat-out better passer than Cody at this point, who still has a ways to go with his throwing. Remember, Cody is such a raw passer coming out of HS that he would probably be redshirting now if depth issues hadn't forced him not to. We lost our presumed #2 and #3 in the offseason.

Then, this is not a commentary of who would be better off starting. Just a big kudos to Zac for coming in and making that throw and a comment that Green isn't the same passer Zac is. We'll see who starts Saturday though. Zac has been looking severely rattled and we can't have that.

I think Green starts:

- if Green struggles early Lee has proven (ok 1 game) that he can come off the bench and manage the game

- if they start Lee, and he struggles, I'm not sure Green can come off the bench and rally the team.

Since neither QB has outdistanced themself from the other QB, I personally like Lee off the bench better than Green should the game come to that.

I'm too lazy to scroll up and see who mentioned the change in guys running the option, but the tough QBs were always willing to take the hit AFTER the pitch, and the moment of hesitation it caused the lineman stringing out the play often sprung the trailing back when the QB finally pitched. Or kept it. Guys like Frazier and Frost and Crouch would also use that moment of hesitation to slide inside on the keeper.

For the record, this was a more demanding and fine-tuned offense than the WCO.

And yeah, we've been seeing a stripped-down WCO for a few weeks now. Those screen passes were supposed to be a low-risk option for a QB who was wasn't keen on crossing patterns and too impatient (or engulfed by defenders) for deep routes.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson opened Zac Lee back up a little against a weaker D. Just might work. As long as Helu gets 20 - 25 carries to go with it.

Green should sit on bench for the whole game. He showed what he could do against the Sooners. Nothing! At least Lee threw a TD pass. Green could never do that. Better yet, find a new guy and put him in there. Maybe the offense could get more than 100 yards a game that way.

Haha.. you do realize that the TD pass you are thinking of was a 1 yard pass to a wide open receiver. Lee lacks the pocket presence to be effective right now and Green simply lacks experience. Zac Taylor would laugh if he heard Lee or Green complaining about our poor O-line, as your probably remember our O-line was terrible while Taylor was qb yet he manned up, took hits, and still made plays.

I think the offense would be better if it just got a little mojo back. Green and Lee are both better than they've been playing. Not much, but better. Enough to make a difference. Same with the receivers who got wide open on those WCO routes and simply dropped perfectly thrown balls.

Obviously the talent is limited, but sometimes a funk takes over the whole team. The most inept and porous defense I've ever seen in major college ball was that '07 Husker Defense. The '08 squad, which started slow, toughened up considerably as the season progressed. Many had been on that same inept '07 squad and all of them were Callahan guys. Chemistry and confidence can be fragile things.

A big part of Bo Pelini's job is not to let the second guessing by fans, reporters and internet obsessives infect the players.

i agree, but honestly, i think at this point the O no longer believes in themselves....they play like they expect to go 3 and out....the coaching just isn't there.