Why Cody Green will start against Kansas

God, I HOPE we're not going back to the Option.

I mean, seriously? After what you saw last night?

Lee ran it better than Green, fumbled pitch and all. I don't know how you can say Green is a running threat any more than Lee is, based on last night's game. At least, the gap in their running abilities is worlds closer than the gap between their passing abilities (Lee over Green).

:laughpound

The fact that you felt the need to indicate which one you think has better passing abilities..means there must be some doubt...or the "gap" isn't that wide.

It was frustrating though, watching Lee dive for the ground whenever he saw someone's shadow.

CG had one good run of over 50 yards...Has Zack even run for a first down yet?

Really? Picking at semantics to justify an argument? I was merely clarifying that I wasn't suggesting Green was the better passer, as the OP was. I thought it would just make my stance clear. As it turns out, my word choice actually made Green a more refined passer.

We know Cody can run it, but what did he do against OU last night? I saw very similar things from both guys, and I saw Green getting stuffed time and time again. Wasn't that 50 yard run against Sun Belt competition? - to borrow a common argument against Lee's passing ability.

Anyway, even giving Green the edge to Lee in the running department (I'll say that I've seen better attitude and decisiveness in running out of Green: he's got more of a runner's mentality, it seems), the QB's first job in this offense is to throw, not to run.

It certainly appears like our offense is going to struggle no matter who we have at QB. We definitely get more of the playbook with Lee in, but Green's obviously the future. Bo might as well just pick a name out of a hat before each game.

I hope they both see a lot of snaps.

I am concerned with Lee's putting the ball behind the receivers where Green appears to be hitting them in stride..It might be Lee is too afraid of getting picked off, but we also aren't getting the gains to sustain a drive.

Honestly, I don't care who starts. But what I saw saturday was a watered down version of our playbook. It seems watson is at least trying to simplify things. This is what I been complaining about all year. I thought his screens and stretch plays were a joke for this type of talent on offense. Simply put, we don't have it on offense. So, I wondered what would happen if we kept it simple. Especially with Green. Man did he look like a freshmen. And lee, I'm sorry boys, but he looks nervous as hell and is out of sync. If we had any type of offense.....any, we could be ranked up there. But you have to go with what you got.

I did have some interesting observations.....

Our O-line is softer than drug store cotton. Now, you don't need a ton of experience in order to run block. That's simple. We were getting beat off the line, and our technique is terrible. We have our work cut out for us the rest of the year.

Niles Paul is average at best.

Dillard should get a comeback of the year award. Compton and Fisher were not ready.

Secondary is playing much, much better.

Crick is a damn beast. And he is a sophomore. Defense will be hell for the next few years.

If we can get our offense to put together anything, we could win the Big 12. Our defense is the best in the conference. Period.

I can't judge the oline (except for penalties) against OU's defense and a new gameplan. If we run power I the next three weeks, I think we'll see a big improvement with the line and technique. If we continue to run the WCO..well you know. At this point (assuming the offense uses the same gameplan the next 3 weeks with a little more leniency of course) I don't care who the qb is as long as he can hit the deep ball when the plays are called.

I can't judge the oline (except for penalties) against OU's defense and a new gameplan. If we run power I the next three weeks, I think we'll see a big improvement with the line and technique. If we continue to run the WCO..well you know. At this point (assuming the offense uses the same gameplan the next 3 weeks with a little more leniency of course) I don't care who the qb is as long as he can hit the deep ball when the plays are called.

This.

As I have been saying for weeks, simplifying the offensive philosophy will allow these guys to focus on what they need to get done and they will improve because of it. Even though we had rough patches against OU, it was still OU. They have one of the best front sevens in CFB.

Going back to our early season offense will be disastrous for this season, especially since neither quarterback has proven they deserve to be on the field over the other.

I'm all for this simplification. I just worry about putting too much on Helu's shoulders (quite literally).

It would be great if we utilized more of the play action pass, especially to the tight ends. That should really open up as defenses key in on Helu and Robinson.

Can't wait for this week to see what we do. :koolaid2:

When did the option change? Watching our game I noticed both Green and Lee take a step sideways to backwards to avoid being hit when pitching the ball. Then, I watched Tebow at Florida do the same thing. Since when is the QB supposed to avoid being hit on the option? Doesn't this kind of take away from the intended purpose? The guy who is supposed to take the QB then can slide and get the running back. What happened to the option when you had Scott Frost totally blasting a defender?

RedGixxer, Worst post of the year. That was just an idiotic statement, do you think before you type?

Fine we'll see who's right after a couple of years when there is NO improvement in the offense because of these 2 QB's. If they don't find a Blue Chipper with loads of talent they will never get to the next level. They can't expect the defense to win each and every game week after week !!!

RedGixxer, Worst post of the year. That was just an idiotic statement, do you think before you type?

Fine we'll see who's right after a couple of years when there is NO improvement in the offense because of these 2 QB's. If they don't find a Blue Chipper with loads of talent they will never get to the next level. They can't expect the defense to win each and every game week after week !!!

Green is our blue chipper with tons of talent, he just needs refinement. I am sure people last year were criticizing our defense and saying we can not expect the offense to win each and every game week after week.

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:hellloooo:hellloooo:hellloooo:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

Green didn't play well at all. But aside from a nice 1-yard touch pass, Lee really didn't do anything except hand the ball to Helu. Lee's problem remains that he absolutely cannot pull the trigger unless it's a quick pass to the sidelines, or the receiver is wide open. When he actually has to read a coverage and scan the middle, he just ends up eating the ball. It's bizarre, because obviously at some point in the JC ranks he showed the ability to read a defense and fire a ball to a closely covered crossing route or something similar. We wouldn't have offered him otherwise. And yet he cannot do it for whatever reason at this level. I got to a relative's place after attending the game and watched the highlights from around the country. I saw countless average-level FBS quarterbacks step back to pass, make a read or two and fire the ball on target down the middle of the field. And after watching three hours of Lee, this seemingly simple concept seemed extraordinary to me.

I don't know if he was used to his receivers running five yards open every time in HS or JC, but it will never be like that in the FBS (aside from maybe the Sun Belt). I know our pass protection sucks, but even when they manage to buy him 3-4 seconds, he refuses to pull the trigger. Maybe we can win one or two of our remaining three with Helu and defense alone, but I think it's too much to ask for the Blackshirts to hold every opponent under a TD. Eventually the secondary is going to break down, or we'll give up a special teams TD and find ourselves down by a touchdown or more. And when that happens, they're going to try to force us to throw, and we'll actually need to move the ball downfield for first downs and touchdowns with the passing game. Although Green is not a very good QB at this point, I still think he gives us the better chance based on his confidence and ability to pull the trigger on passes longer than five yards, not to mention his ability to get 8-10 yards on a broken play, versus Lee getting maybe 2-3.

I am concerned with Lee's putting the ball behind the receivers where Green appears to be hitting them in stride..

In stride?? :rollin

green was 2 of 5 for 4 yards.

must have been some stride! :dunno

PASSING

OU: Landry Jones, 26-58-5-245.

NU: Zac Lee, 5-9-0-35; Cody Green, 2-5-0-4.

the coaches will start the right guy. :)

Who cares who starts? It doesn't mean he'll finish on the field. As we saw last night, Bo is not throwing in the towell to give CG experience - nor should he.

I don't give a flying flamingo who starts, only whether we get a "W" and I trust the coaches judgment in that department.

Get over your man crush. :wub: I have a better shot with him than you do anyway. :LOLtartar

Well put, as long as it is a W, who cares who starts