Kansas is going to be a tough game

knapplc

So we're all excited that we beat the Sooners, and we should be, but it's Kansas week now and time to move on.

The Jayhawks are going to give us some trouble no matter how we look at it. Even in their four-game losing streak they're outscoring the Huskers, and have scored an average of 23 points per game in Big XII play. The Huskers have averaged just 15 ppg in the Big XII.

Kansas is giving up a lot more points than we are, though, which may be good for our struggling Offense. The Jayhawks have surrendered 33 ppg against the Big XII, while we've only given up 13 per game, with two opponents held to single digits. Every KU conference opponent has scored at least two TDs, with their lowest points allowed coming last game against KSU at 17. Yet, the Jayhawks lost because Reesing and their offense has gone into some crazy slump.

Looking at schedules, Nebraska faces KSU the week after KU, so we're not likely to be looking ahead. However, we could have a post-Oklahoma hangover to worry about. We'll see. Kansas goes down to Austin to play the Longhorns next week, so it's possible they could be looking ahead to Texas. Most likely they'll be focusing on us, writing Texas off as a loss, and will give us their best shot.

Reesing is struggling, inexplicably so, lately. He's thrown four TDs and five INTs in their last four games, earning a 59% completion rate and a 111.3 QB rating. I'm not sure what to make of this slide by Reesing - doesn't seem like anyone knows - but I don't think we can count on him losing the game for us. I'd like to see the same kind of pressure put on Reesing that we put on Landry Jones last week, and see how well he can beat us with a face full of turf.

This will not be an easy game. But if Helu is healthy enough to be productive, if Watson sticks to the power run game, and if the Defense plays even close to the level they've been playing at the last few weeks, we have a great shot to win.

This has all the makings of a trap game, both teams have had highs and lows throughout the season, it will come down to who wants it more. Our offense will struggle, nothing indicating now that they won't but I do see them giving serious fits to Reesing and Co. Reesing seems to be having a tough year and you know they will want this W pretty badly. Should be a great game no matter what. :thumbs

Dude, we just beat OU, we're going to roll the rest of the way :thumbs

Whoops, forgot this one.... :sarcasm

You're right and Helu's health is key now. Our O-line will probably not face another D-line like OU's and should be able to create some lanes for him. I still don't understand why we can't get the ball to McNeil more, but I'd like to see us control the tempo of the game and run some play action to him.

Hopfully Ressing doesn't wakeup in his pre-Colorado form, even if he does I don't think it'll matter with the way our secondary has been playing.

Its almost getting cliche-ish, but pound the rock and play solid defense

...and no hangovers

GBR

Knapp you're right on the money about us needing to stick to the power run game. I think our front four will be able to get plenty of pressure on Reesing and the D will keep them from scoring too many points. KSU was able to run it down their throats (granted, our line hasn't looked as good as theirs). I think the power I with some play-action passes down the field should be enough. It will be a close game but if we don't give the ball away we can take it. NU 20 KU 13

Knapp you're right on the money about us needing to stick to the power run game. I think our front four will be able to get plenty of pressure on Reesing and the D will keep them from scoring too many points. KSU was able to run it down their throats (granted, our line hasn't looked as good as theirs). I think the power I with some play-action passes down the field should be enough. It will be a close game but if we don't give the ball away we can take it. NU 20 KU 13

With our offense we have to play perfectly in the other phases of the game. We can't afford to let KU's defense score or give up a kick return or we are screwed. What concerns me is that even though our D doesn't give up points or yardage for that matter, they don't cause fumbles or score points themselves. It would be nice to count on the D for a score in most games. There's not a game left on our schedule that doesn't put a scare into me, because of our lack of punch offensively.

I like our chances in this one but I again agree that this game is going to be tough and close, and I don't think our offense will score more than 25-30 points.

I specifically like our chances overall with our defense vs. KU offense. Their offensive line has not been producing and should be subject to our will. We did a fine job handling OU's line, and despite their injuries and who they lost this year, they are still arguably the best offensive line we will face/have faced this season.

It would be silly for any of us to sit on Reesing and except him to have another bad game. Despite recent woes, he is still Todd Reesing and he more often than not finds ways to dig deep and keep his team in games. I don't know what his current issue is, but he can still be dangerous. I mean hell, we had a defender give him a big lick last year and somehow he stood standing and threw a TD pass.

If I had to give an early prediction, I would say Nebraska 19 KU 14. Should be a fairly low scoring game, but I like our offenses chances with a more solid run identity and a healthy Helu.

This game has me worried as well. KU is due for a good showing, there season is lost and there is nothing they would rather do than make our lives a living hell. KU will give us their best shot. Our D will need to show up agian like they have all season. If Helu can stay healthy i like our chances.

17-13 NU

I'll take it.

One of my predictions will be right.

I can maybe think of one scenario in which Kansas would outplay NU and win, but that involves an injury to Suh, a swarm of locusts, and Biblical plague in the team hotel the night before the game. I think it's unlikely.

Unless a different KU team shows up, I think Nebraska wins in a low scoring game. Remember 76-39? This defense will avenge that bullsh#t on Saturday. Phillip Dillard is going to have Reesing's head on a pike by the end of the game.