Add another one

EZ-E

Well, I think it's more complicated than that. How would you take it if your boss came to you and asked your son to work at the company you've been busting your tail for...for free? Isn't that kind of insulting?

Plus, I think there's always a chance of after the dust settling...asking the kid to embrace the great tradition of the walk-on program. I forget who it was, but wasn't there a couple of guys that did that last year or 2 years ago??

So has anyone actually seen him play or are the :facepalm: 's just because he's Barney's son?

A better question would be if he were the son of anyone else, would he get this offer?

Lets not get it twisted. This kid had no offers from anyone - not even Wyoming, CSU, Idaho or even Ohio. But we discovered him, in the fall of his senior year and figured out he was B12 caliber? Really?

Kid could walk-on, basically get a free ride (in terms of money spent towards school), and not cost us a scholarship. He was coming here regardless, so why offer?

I wonder how much being the coaches son hurts his chances at getting scholly's from other schools? I know my brother didnt ever have a coach send him any info.... more or less get a scholly offer... and he was an excellent player at the next level, and that was even with personal issues hindering him. he could have been down right dominate. I think people just assumed that he would play for my dad.....

I'm not saying that is the case with cotton.......its just a thought. I would think that if he couldnt get a offer form the lower level schools he's not even good enough to walk on.

Well, I think it's more complicated than that. How would you take it if your boss came to you and asked your son to work at the company you've been busting your tail for...for free? Isn't that kind of insulting?

Plus, I think there's always a chance of after the dust settling...asking the kid to embrace the great tradition of the walk-on program. I forget who it was, but wasn't there a couple of guys that did that last year or 2 years ago??

not if your dad works for an elite company and your son has a GED

dude, maybe he will be a good player. Its not like some of the lower rated recruits have never stepped up and played like champs. bring him on. lets see what hes got. hes probably been to plenty of games, so he knows what it means to be a husker.

Go find a 0 star recruit that has made it into the NFL. Knowing what it means to be a husker doesnt just make athleticism appear. This is a bust

:facepalm:

I wonder how much being the coaches son hurts his chances at getting scholly's from other schools? I know my brother didnt ever have a coach send him any info.... more or less get a scholly offer... and he was an excellent player at the next level, and that was even with personal issues hindering him. he could have been down right dominate. I think people just assumed that he would play for my dad.....

I'm not saying that is the case with cotton.......its just a thought. I would think that if he couldnt get a offer form the lower level schools he's not even good enough to walk on.

No. There are players that you know are dead locks for schools, but if you have talent, schools will attempt to get you on board. If they didn't, they would not be doing their job.

Even more, schools have had the opportunity to offer Jake for a year now. No one has and not even Nebraska until a few weeks ago. If he had that much talent and was a coaches son, everyone and their cousin Joe would know all about this kid.

I mean really, how many legacies with extreme talent have we not known about? And Jake Cotton just sneaks up on us like that during his senior year?

And for the person talking about it being insulting to ask him to walkon - there have been more than one kid who has offered to be a greyshirt in the past to help recruiting classes. One of which being a DE who plays quite a bit for us. When you have the resources and opportunity to help your team, you do it. Getting Jake to walkon, while costing the Cotton family basically nothing out of their pocketbook would be asking nothing.

I mean heck, if Jake wasn't an athlete, don't you think Barney would be using his job title to get Jake into school on the cheap? You bet your arse he would.

Regardless of my personal thoughts of his talent, he is eating a scholarship, and scholarship money, that could be going to another player who could potentially help us when there is absolutely no need for him to be doing it. He would get his education from this university for nothing regardless, so why waste 1 of only 85 scholarships we have to give out?

dude, maybe he will be a good player. Its not like some of the lower rated recruits have never stepped up and played like champs. bring him on. lets see what hes got. hes probably been to plenty of games, so he knows what it means to be a husker.

Go find a 0 star recruit that has made it into the NFL. Knowing what it means to be a husker doesnt just make athleticism appear. This is a bust

:facepalm:

Ummmm, every single player in the NFL before about 1994.

I have personally watched Cotton play both Southeast/Southwest games this season. To put it mildly, he was not a factor in either game. He plays DT, and I do not recall him making any sacks and/or tackles for loss in last Friday's game. I watched him for a good part of the game, and in my opinion, he is lazy. The DT who lined up next to him (Ledgerwood) does not have Cotton's size, but 10 times the heart and motor. The Southwest line dominated the trenches, and I doubt you'll see any big-time recruits from their side of the ball. The only time Cotton did get near the QB resulted in a crucial 15 yd roughing the passer penalty. How in the world does someone who was a non-factor in High School games worthy of a scholarship to NU? Granted, he does have the size and body-type, but he's going to have to develop a motor and passion to play defense, or Carl Pelini will not even pay him the time of day. This is a waste of a scholarship...he would be much better suited to play for a Nebraska Wesleyan or maybe Wayne State. What a joke!

No. There are players that you know are dead locks for schools, but if you have talent, schools will attempt to get you on board. If they didn't, they would not be doing their job.

Even more, schools have had the opportunity to offer Jake for a year now. No one has and not even Nebraska until a few weeks ago. If he had that much talent and was a coaches son, everyone and their cousin Joe would know all about this kid.

I mean really, how many legacies with extreme talent have we not known about? And Jake Cotton just sneaks up on us like that during his senior year?

And for the person talking about it being insulting to ask him to walkon - there have been more than one kid who has offered to be a greyshirt in the past to help recruiting classes. One of which being a DE who plays quite a bit for us. When you have the resources and opportunity to help your team, you do it. Getting Jake to walkon, while costing the Cotton family basically nothing out of their pocketbook would be asking nothing.

I mean heck, if Jake wasn't an athlete, don't you think Barney would be using his job title to get Jake into school on the cheap? You bet your arse he would.

Regardless of my personal thoughts of his talent, he is eating a scholarship, and scholarship money, that could be going to another player who could potentially help us when there is absolutely no need for him to be doing it. He would get his education from this university for nothing regardless, so why waste 1 of only 85 scholarships we have to give out?

Jackson Jeffcoat comes to mind. I just hope the coaches know what they are doing, because I surely as hell don't. You have Malone, Tejay, Cooper, OO (longshot), Mobley, Swigert, Reese, Slavin, Harper, Lamb, and I know I am forgetting a few and we offer the coaches son? I hope they are not going to turn away one of those guys for Cotton.

He may be a diamond, but his father has money.

Edit: you are coming off the greatest win in recent history and this is the best you can do?

A friend of mine was one of the ref's in his Norfolk game....says he was a dominate force in the game...for whatever that is worth. Could they be looking at him as a DE, not at DL???

Plus, hard to ignore his size.

I hope your friend is a better ref than talent evaluator. Cotton outweighed the Norfolk kids by at least 40-50 pounds, and yet Norfolk soundly beat Southeast! It's not like Norfolk was more talented than Southeast...they weren't. They just wanted it more and played with more discipline than Cotton and Southeast.