Fact or Fiction: If Bo stays as D-coordinator in '03 Callahan is still the coach at Nebraska

Lava

That's what I don't get. Put a product on the field that works. Why are style points ever so dear to Nebraska fans? Why can we never be happy unless our offense has a little bit of "the old days" in it? You all see how well the option is working for us now.

I don't think the majority of people like the Option we're running. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like the majority here wish we would shelve it. The payout of the Option Pass isn't worth the pain of the several failed Option Runs we have to run to make it work.

I've just been thinking about this. Think about what Bo has done with the defense since he returned. Imagine if he had stuck around and got the defense to this level while Callahan was coaching the offense. We all know scoring points was never the problem for us, and our record with a Pelini coached D likely would have been good enough to get us to the win total we all thought we could achieve and would have been more than happy with.

Who knows, crazy as it sounds now we might have all been singing Callahan's praises rather than his tenure being known as the dark age in Nebraska football. Don't get me wrong, I'm positive that it's working out better for the preservation and restoration of the program this way and I couldn't be happier with the job Bo has done but this is just some food for thought.

most sane folks would starve to death, on this thought........... <_<

That's what I don't get. Put a product on the field that works. Why are style points ever so dear to Nebraska fans? Why can we never be happy unless our offense has a little bit of "the old days" in it? You all see how well the option is working for us now.

I don't think the majority of people like the Option we're running. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like the majority here wish we would shelve it. The payout of the Option Pass isn't worth the pain of the several failed Option Runs we have to run to make it work.

For me, running the option with Lee is simply futile. He's slow and cautious.....two major faults. So yeah, shelve it until we get Green next year.

I agree throwing away a half dozen option plays for the possibility of successful option pass just isn't worth it. We go 3 & out wayyyyyy too much as it is.

For me, running the option with Lee is simply futile. He's slow and cautious.....two major faults. So yeah, shelve it until we get Green next year.

I agree throwing away a half dozen option plays for the possibility of successful option pass just isn't worth it. We go 3 & out wayyyyyy too much as it is.

I'll tell you this, if we somehow miraculously beat Texas with Lee at the helm there is no way Green starts until Lee graduates and thats just the way it is. There is no way a backup unseats a Big XII champion QB so that's something you have to deal with...

I've just been thinking about this. Think about what Bo has done with the defense since he returned. Imagine if he had stuck around and got the defense to this level while Callahan was coaching the offense.

moot of course.

but IMO.

cally running the O, Bo running the D = b12 champs. easily.

top 5 team nationally.

again..

pure fantasy and unprovable either way. :dunno

gotta agree with that.. cally could get the athletes in here... and coach offense.. the D would of been stellar under Bo... that is if we are playing along with the scenario.. 100% Fact imo...

however, Bo wasn't staying anywhere close to here and cally wouldn't have wanted him...

on a different topic.. does the dude off of FlashForward (Simcoe) remind ne1 of cally? every time i watch the show n see him i think of cally.. its weird.

Callahan did produce some fine offenses. Still, he did not do much to ingratiate himself to the Nebr populace. IF he had Bo as DC, and IF he won at least 8 or 9 games per year, and IF he had kept some semblance of the walk-on program, and IF he sprinkled a few option sets in his offense, THEN he would still be at UNL. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Winning, walk-on program, I hear you.

Sprinkling option sets?

I don't know why style points are so important to the rank and file NU fan. But they are. And it seems like a lot of NU fans have the notion that NU simply has to run the option. HAS to run it. Or it's not Nebraska football.

This sort of thinking is baloney. Sure, I enjoy watching an option play unfold. It's a thing of beauty. But I thought Shawn Watson fielded some great offensive schemes back in 2006 and 2007. Didn't see many option sets back then. And we seemed to find the endzone quite regularly.

Callahan did produce some fine offenses. Still, he did not do much to ingratiate himself to the Nebr populace. IF he had Bo as DC, and IF he won at least 8 or 9 games per year, and IF he had kept some semblance of the walk-on program, and IF he sprinkled a few option sets in his offense, THEN he would still be at UNL. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Winning, walk-on program, I hear you.

Sprinkling option sets?

I don't know why style points are so important to the rank and file NU fan. But they are. And it seems like a lot of NU fans have the notion that NU simply has to run the option. HAS to run it. Or it's not Nebraska football.

This sort of thinking is baloney. Sure, I enjoy watching an option play unfold. It's a thing of beauty. But I thought Shawn Watson fielded some great offensive schemes back in 2006 and 2007. Didn't see many option sets back then. And we seemed to find the endzone quite regularly.

:bang

Though I'm not afraid to mention Callahan's name like some are, I'm not going to get very deep into this. While a major problem was the defense, others ran deeper and probably would have shown up no matter what. This includes problems with Pederson and the atmosphere he created in the AD (and yes, he did some great things for the university, but also messed some sh#t up) and the fact that Callahan was probably better off coaching in the pros and not college.

It is not so much being afraid that keeps people from mentioning BC, it's more common courtesy. For instance, if your dog was run over by a car would you appreciate someone sending pictures of your pooch, smeared in the street, on a regular basis?

Though I'm not afraid to mention Callahan's name like some are, I'm not going to get very deep into this. While a major problem was the defense, others ran deeper and probably would have shown up no matter what. This includes problems with Pederson and the atmosphere he created in the AD (and yes, he did some great things for the university, but also messed some sh#t up) and the fact that Callahan was probably better off coaching in the pros and not college.

It is not so much being afraid that keeps people from mentioning BC, it's more common courtesy. For instance, if your dog was run over by a car would you appreciate someone sending pictures of your pooch, smeared in the street, on a regular basis?

Facing the facts here.........Callahan had an offensive mind that was simply ingenious. The problem with Callahan is that he had other things on his mind - Sam Keller ring a bell??? How could any coach not see the potential of Joe Ganz in practice.

Honestly speaking, I would take Callahan as an offensive coordinator. In reality he showed the ability to call power plays in situations when needed - something that Shawn Watson is trying to learn. That is where he is at his best. He has no business being a head coach and will never be a head coach again.