Disappointed in Fisher's play

Dave M.

i remember 2 or 3 plays where it was just like, "what are you doing!!" we should have stuck with the nickle, E. Hagg, Phil Dillard and Will Compton could have stopped the run just fine, he hurt us a lot this weekend

This week will be good for us, because we will primarily use Dime and Nickel which has been our strong suit all year.

i remember 2 or 3 plays where it was just like, "what are you doing!!" we should have stuck with the nickle, E. Hagg, Phil Dillard and Will Compton could have stopped the run just fine, he hurt us a lot this weekend

Nah, didnt hurt too much, we still won the game. These guys need to get experience or they'll never get better. LEARN FROM MISTAKES.

Fisher made a nice pass defense on their TE.

This is the only thing I saw him do also. I've always thought he looked terribly slow, especially for his weight. What the hell ever happened to steroids in college football?!! I hope his troubles are from thinking too much and playing to not make mistakes, because I've never seen guys get markedly better talent-wise alone, during their college careers. Anyway, when we are in a one linebacker defensive scheme next year, it'll be Mr. Martin in the game. I wouldn't want him to find out I called him Eric. :o

This week will be good for us, because we will primarily use Dime and Nickel which has been our strong suit all year.

Of course the other side of the coin is that being in the nickle and dime so much has limited the actual time some of the LBs are on the field so they aren't getting that experience.

Your pointing the finger at the wrong person in the LB lineup.

If anyone has been a disappointment from all the hype that was talked up about him making an impact, it would have to be Matthew May.

I was expecting really good things from him, i know he got a little banged up and was subbed from time to time, but he didn't seem to live up to the hype that was talked about him in the preseason.

But i will agree, Will Compton and Sean Fisher are RS Freshman, expected to be veteran LB, but they are new and gonna make some mistakes, but for the most part, the Defensive Line has really helped out with letting these guys get game time experience. I will expect more consistent playmaking from them come next season.

Lets not forget that Matt Holt comes back next year, but it may be hard for him to see game time with play and experience that Fisher and Compton have gained during this season.

yeah - where the heck has May been? and Alonzo Whaley?

Hasnt Whaley been working with the scout team?

These are Fisher and Compton's stats so far this season, and I threw in Dillard's for the heck of it.

Compton: Tackles - 38 Tackles for Loss - 1 Sacks - 0.5 Hurries - 2 Blocked Kick - 1 Broken Pass Up - 1

Fisher: Tackles - 34 Tackles for Loss - 2 Sacks - 1 Hurries - 3 Fumbles Recovered - 1

Dillard: Tackles - 68 Tackles for Loss - 9 Sacks - 3 Hurries - 4 Forced Fumbles - 1 Broken Pass Up - 3 Interception - 1

Are the stats really that bad for two RS Freshman that are playing their first season as OLB?

Look I said that about Compton and Fisher at the start. They are not fast to the ball and they are afraid of contact. I hope the Martin and Williams are the studs next yr, which I think they could be. Dillard has played great and he looks fast to the ball and loves to drop the lumber. I was hoping that Fisher and Compton were watching him make plays but it looks to be NO. We will have to stay with Gomes and Hagg which I love also.

Awesome point. Too much time thinking. Just like our quarterbacks, things are still just a little too fast for them, so when they think, BAM, theyre out of positioning. Unlike our quarterbacks, the lack of consistent playing time is causing a longer push out of this problem.

good point, similar to the rest of our D the last 2 years. too much thinking, not enough instinctive reacting. i'm sure they will come around. if they don't they'll meet the bench and someone else will step up (Eric Martin!).

I noticed Fisher looked a little lost at times as well. In his defense, he really hasn't been on the field much this year.

That said . . . I'd be surprised if Eric Martin is the answer. The kid is an absolute beast on special teams but I fear he could be the second coming of Ricky Thenarse . . . you know . . . the skull cracking animal who could never actually figure out how to play defense. Martin's play looks similar. I shudder to think about Martin trying to make reads or break down in coverage . . . versus his undeniable knack for flying down field to hit the only person with the ball.

yes they do have an excuse of being freshman, although I have been dissappointed in linebacker play this year as well. The thing that scares me the most about our linebackers is this weekend. I know our dline gets a good rush, but that might be the problem this week. We often leave huge wholes for a quarterback with any speed to burst through. I have a bad feeling in my gut this weekend that Colt is going to torch us on the ground. Our linebackers will have to step up and make some open field tackles if we want to win this game. Im envisioning us staying close with texas, but then consistently being let down in this game by Colt bailing them out of 3rd down situations with his feet. Sorry for the negativity, just a gut feeling. I hope we can pull this one out. GBR

Fisher and Compton both have their work cut out for them in the off season. It'll come, they're young guys and things will get easier for them next season.

Couldn't agree more. I am interested to see what martin, williams, and whaley can do. I think martin has the the potential to be the next Maualuga.