The new way?

Twodocs

Word is there is a new way. Watson is not going anywhere. The question is what is the new way?

The qestion of the day

What will the NEW WAY BE?

What will be TO's involvement?

Who will call the plays?

New direction for NU? « Blog - Tom Shatel

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

5 p.m.: Could it be?

Earlier this week, I wrote that I thought Shawn Watson would return as Nebraska offensive coordinator next season. Not because I think Watson is doing a bang-up job, but mainly because I don't think Bo Pelini has spent much time considering his offensive philosophy, direction for the offense or who to hire if he did replace Watson. That's an important decision for Pelini, one that will shape his career at NU, one that should require considerable research and thought.

But now, in light of the Tyler Gabbert renege, I wonder if something might be going on.

Gabbert has been quoted in various outlets as saying Nebraska's offense isn't what he thought it would be, that he knew Nebraska was running the ball to win games late in the year, but he now has doubts, etc. Louisiana receiver Curtis Carter said as much recently after he decommitted from NU.

Is there a change in offensive direction happening at Nebraska? Or a change in coordinator? And is that change in direction toward a permanent shift toward the power formations and reliance on the run game that helped carry the limping NU offense home in November?

This doesn't pass the smell test. Why would Gabbert, a big-armed kid, get spooked by Zac Lee and Co.? Does he not think he can come in and start over Lee? Really? Actually, Gabbert would be competing against Cody Green, who has a nice arm but hasn't exactly lit it up yet.

Would Watson, who has recruited Gabbert from the get-go, not assure him that the offense was still going to be "slingin' it,'' as he likes to say? Wouldn't Watson and Bo Pelini assure Gabbert that the latter part of this season was merely a band-aid to get to a North Division title, and that it would be back to normal next season?

Same with Carter. Why would he have doubts about NU's offensive style and Lee's ability? Wouldn't Pelini assure Carter, too, that the style will be the same and don't worry about the talent you see on the field -- you'll be able to beat them out?

I'm reading between the lines here, but I sense that these two were told that there is going to be a shift toward a running game, and a running quarterback, with all the trimmings. The way Gabbert and Watson parted ways amicably, how can you not think that?

Will Watson be back? Is there a new direction? These are questions Pelini must answer as soon as he gets back from the Ndamukong Suh Awards Tour -- if not sooner.

Filed by Tom Shatel

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091210/BIGR...9960/0/BIGRED03

Word is there is a new way. Watson is not going anywhere. The question is what is the new way?

The qestion of the day

What will the NEW WAY BE?

What will be TO's involvement?

Who will call the plays?

New direction for NU? « Blog - Tom Shatel

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

5 p.m.: Could it be?

Earlier this week, I wrote that I thought Shawn Watson would return as Nebraska offensive coordinator next season. Not because I think Watson is doing a bang-up job, but mainly because I don't think Bo Pelini has spent much time considering his offensive philosophy, direction for the offense or who to hire if he did replace Watson. That's an important decision for Pelini, one that will shape his career at NU, one that should require considerable research and thought.

But now, in light of the Tyler Gabbert renege, I wonder if something might be going on.

Gabbert has been quoted in various outlets as saying Nebraska's offense isn't what he thought it would be, that he knew Nebraska was running the ball to win games late in the year, but he now has doubts, etc. Louisiana receiver Curtis Carter said as much recently after he decommitted from NU.

Is there a change in offensive direction happening at Nebraska? Or a change in coordinator? And is that change in direction toward a permanent shift toward the power formations and reliance on the run game that helped carry the limping NU offense home in November?

This doesn't pass the smell test. Why would Gabbert, a big-armed kid, get spooked by Zac Lee and Co.? Does he not think he can come in and start over Lee? Really? Actually, Gabbert would be competing against Cody Green, who has a nice arm but hasn't exactly lit it up yet.

Would Watson, who has recruited Gabbert from the get-go, not assure him that the offense was still going to be "slingin' it,'' as he likes to say? Wouldn't Watson and Bo Pelini assure Gabbert that the latter part of this season was merely a band-aid to get to a North Division title, and that it would be back to normal next season?

Same with Carter. Why would he have doubts about NU's offensive style and Lee's ability? Wouldn't Pelini assure Carter, too, that the style will be the same and don't worry about the talent you see on the field -- you'll be able to beat them out?

I'm reading between the lines here, but I sense that these two were told that there is going to be a shift toward a running game, and a running quarterback, with all the trimmings. The way Gabbert and Watson parted ways amicably, how can you not think that?

Will Watson be back? Is there a new direction? These are questions Pelini must answer as soon as he gets back from the Ndamukong Suh Awards Tour -- if not sooner.

Filed by Tom Shatel

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091210/BIGR...9960/0/BIGRED03

Welcome to the party Shatel. You're only 4 days late and a dollar short. <_<

Hybrid Option Offense?

Something with a bit more passing than the old option offense but still primarily a running team?

Thats my guess.

If they did go back to an option style offense it would seem to me that it would make recruiting QB's easier. Nebraska would be the most prolific school running that sort of offense and would make the short list of any option style QB with sense.

Just my thoughts. Guess we'll see.

Honestly,

I don't believe Watson has a way to begin with. He ran other people's systems at both Colorado, under Barnett, and Nebraska, under Callahan. The 2008 season was Watson's first running "his" system. I don't think he really knows what that might be. We are not good at much right now, so its hard to create a system. We don't pass protect well or run routes well or make good decisions with the ball, so that pass game is limited. We don't run the ball very well and we get into second and third and long so we don't have much of a power game either.

Don't forget what the goal of an offense is....SCORE. This offense doesn't have very many explosive plays in the run or the pass and those plays are what dictates what system you go with. I think we can develop the running game, but it will take work. I don't know if Watson will put that work in because I don't know if he believes in the run. Then again, I am not so sure he believes in the pass either.

It's a mystery.

But make no mistake, the caoches have to work with Watson, narrow the focus and then drive forward with a specific philosophy or we will never be good at ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all know we have problems on the O side of the ball. i think Pelini needs to take charge, unless Oz has told him to work with Wats. between Wats and Cotton, i don't think they have a clue, i really don't, so i am not surprised Gabbert has walked on Wats.......this is not good.

word is that WE walked on gabbert.......

And Watson just waited for Gabbert to call, right?

If this is true, and we are going more toward a power run game, why is Joe Ganz interning as a QB's/Offensive coach? Nothing against the guy (I thought he did great), but I don't think Ganz is going to know much about quarterbacking that kind of offense.

I just have my doubts as to the possibilities of returning to a power-run offensive philosophy. Do we have the kind of athletes on the offensive line or in the backfield to be successful with it?

we all know we have problems on the O side of the ball. i think Pelini needs to take charge, unless Oz has told him to work with Wats. between Wats and Cotton, i don't think they have a clue, i really don't, so i am not surprised Gabbert has walked on Wats.......this is not good.

word is that WE walked on gabbert.......

And Watson just waited for Gabbert to call, right?

Gabbert told Watson he wanted more of an opportunity to get punched in the back while he was down, which is something misery could provide.