Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

this gets mentioned everytime but it hasn't in this thread yet. Look what it would do to our recruiting, we lose everything we have going FOR us coming out of texas.

lets see here, most of our "athletes" are from TEXAS.

Recruiting would take a HUGE hit if we left the big12. We would turn into another Wisconsin.

This is pure crap. Most kids don't care about conference, they will go where ever they can start at. The school carries a lot more weight than the conference does.

They wouldn't have us

More accurately, their teams want no part of playing us every year. Iowa alone would throw a fit if it was suggested they have to play us annually. The Northwesterns, Iowas and even Penn states can't compete with us year in and year out, and they know it! Not to mention the Little 10's obsession with growing it media market on the east coast. Which moving farther into the mid west won't help them with.

As for the "We will lose all the recruits from Texas and Cali" argument, I don't know that I buy that. The last I checked NU was still located in Lincoln, so I would think NU would still be facing the same kind of recruiting drawbacks we are right now. So what if we don't play in Texas as often. We're still Nebraska, a school that has been recruiting nationally for 50+ years. Long before Texas was in the picture. So I doubt that would change an awful lot just because we switched conferences. Besides it's nothing a little OOC scheduling couldn't overcome.

this gets mentioned everytime but it hasn't in this thread yet. Look what it would do to our recruiting, we lose everything we have going FOR us coming out of texas.

Recruiting would take a HUGE hit if we left the big12. We would turn into another Wisconsin.

This is pure crap. Most kids don't care about conference, they will go where ever they can start at. The school carries a lot more weight than the conference does.

How is this pure crap and how do you know that kids don't care about conferences? Think of a talented Dallas kid that's dreamed of going to, um let's say, Texas. Texas doesn't offer him or the situation there is not favorable to his development as a player(like being too deep at his position), so he goes with a team that might be their rival, or at least a team that is familiar. How many newspaper articles do you think are published about Nebraska sports outside of the conference? Not many. There was literally a three paragraph game summary of the Nebraska/Texas game in our local out-of-conference paper. I bet alot more Dallas/Houston kids know about Nebraska then kids from Indiana, Illinois, Michigan.

How is this pure crap and how do you know that kids don't care about conferences? Think of a talented Dallas kid that's dreamed of going to, um let's say, Texas. Texas doesn't offer him or the situation there is not favorable to his development as a player(like being too deep at his position), so he goes with a team that might be their rival, or at least a team that is familiar. How many newspaper articles do you think are published about Nebraska sports outside of the conference? Not many. There was literally a three paragraph game summary of the Nebraska/Texas game in our local out-of-conference paper. I bet alot more Dallas/Houston kids know about Nebraska then kids from Indiana, Illinois, Michigan.

The coach is the biggest factor in recruiting. Pete Carroll doesn't have any trouble bringing East Coast players out west. The only conference i heard of have that so many people have pride for is the SEC. So many college players want to play in the NFL and will go to programs that will help them get there. Trust me if Coach Pelini becomes a top tier coach he won't have any problems recruiting, players will want to come to Nebraska.

The coach is the biggest factor in recruiting. Pete Carroll doesn't have any trouble bringing East Coast players out west. The only conference i heard of have that so many people have pride for is the SEC. So many college players want to play in the NFL and will go to programs that will help them get there. Trust me if Coach Pelini becomes a top tier coach he won't have any problems recruiting, players will want to come to Nebraska.

Oh I am not saying the coach doesn't matter, but to say that conferences don't matter is way off base IMO. Not every kid is looking for the same thing and there are at least 10-15 great coaches out there and every conference has a couple. He still gets to choose from a few select coaches of which he is familar due to conference exposure.

Oh I am not saying the coach doesn't matter, but to say that conferences don't matter is way off base IMO. Not every kid is looking for the same thing and there are at least 10-15 great coaches out there and every conference has a couple. He still gets to choose from a few select coaches of which he is familar due to conference exposure.

Actually it's bowl games and out of conference games that expose most people outside the conference.

Actually it's bowl games and out of conference games that expose most people outside the conference.

:yeah

Also, if we go to the Little 11, you better have a nationally televised game on Network TV otherwise you will be relegated to the Little 11 Network where your coverage could be limited.

Here's an example of their one of their typical OOC game weekends.

btn2008_week04_12n.gif

Looking at this map, where would our coverage area be? Where would our Nebraska ex-patriots be able to watch a Husker game out of state. If your cable company does not carry the Little 11 Network, then you will have to buy Dish or Direct TV, but you're still not guaranteed to be able to see the game if you don't live in the state the college resides in.

It's all about exposure, which leads to better recruiting, which leads to better teams, and more dominance by the conference.