What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

I think Spanky pretty much tells it like it is.

We were one of the reasons for the Big 12. We were the winning program then, so they needed us. Tom fought tooth and nail to stay away no question.

Raising the accademic requirements were Texas's idea, but is that bad?

The big 8 did not stand together. We folded like a house of cards.

It has helped every single school in the Big 12, but not to the level it could have or should have.

It most likely hurt us more than anyone.

But Osborne retiring, and the hiring of Callahan did Nebraska in. NOT TEXAS.

They are passionate fans, just like Nebraska. We see their lover for their team and some how seem to hate them for it. Great program, great teams, great school and a state full of really good people.

Nothing to hate there as far as I can see.

Truth is truth, deal with it.

They are passionate fans, just like Nebraska. We see their lover for their team and some how seem to hate them for it. Great program, great teams, great school and a state full of really good people.

Exactamundo.

fonzie.jpg

Exactamundo.

fonzie.jpg

:yeah:yeah:yeah

My question is...

Whose idea exactly WAS the Big 12?

What was so wrong with the Big 8? I remember the Huskers running through the schedule year after year - and I don't think the Big 8 was exactly respected nationally, but...did anyone really CARE? I didn't. In '95 when we stomped through the conference thoroughly for the hundredth time, are they not still considered the GREATEST?

I don't know 'bout you guys, but I personally liked not having to worry week to week about every freaking team we'd play. Wasn't it nice to have Missouri after Kansas State?

Go ahead and talk about the spirit of competition and whatnot, but one of the reasons a lot of us harken back to the drubbings of yesteryear has to do with the good old Big 8.

I would also disagree with anyone who said that the demise of Nebraska football started with Dr. Osborne giving up the whistle. Sure, '02 stunk, but Nebraska was in the BCS mix in '99, winning the Fiesta, should've been in '00, and we all know how '01 went down. '03 saw drastic improvement and a new attitude from the Blackshirts - I think we were on the way back even through a few setbacks vs. Missouri and Kansas State. The demise of Husker football was indeed triggered with the firing of Solich and the hiring of Callahan.

Any argument Texas and her fans have against Prop 48 is specious at best. We all know what was going down.

Calling Nebraska a prom queen living vicariously through the tiara for 10 years? Yeah, that's not arrogant at all. Incredibly humble - and the residents of Texas are known nationally for their humility (btw, I lived there for 6 years, so don't say crap to me about that).

It's all good, though. Keep your asterisk. In fact, keep the 1970 MNC that you claim even though you LOST YOUR FREAKING BOWL GAME (while we won). Nebraska's not going anywhere - the fans, the program, the state itself - we're stronger than ever; stickin' together.

'I got some dirt on my shouldah, could ya brush it off fuh me?'

One time I was in texas and bought a T-shirt that said "Don't mess with Texas" on it because I thought it was hilarious. I would wear it from time to time, ironically obviously. Once I was wearing it while grabbing a bite to eat somewhere with a couple friends and this girl at the register was like, "Are you from Texas?" I said "no, I just wear this shirt because its funny." And her face wrinkles up as she says "well, I'm from Texas, and we don't think its funny at all." LOL Texas people.

As this big 12 changing business has been discussed in the last few weeks, I have gone from mildy entertained to concerned. I am not nearly as up to speed as some of you on this, but I think The Big 12 needs to get their s%&^ together on this and quick. I think we are playing with fire with MU leaving and us picking up Arkansas(no offense Hogs-small TV market)or someone like that. ive heard CU might like to go to the Pac 10? Some Texas forums are talking about if MU leaves, the coference gets weakened to the point they should bolt to the Pac 10? Even Texas threads are talking about the negative impact of TCU and a Texas heavy conference--harkening back to the events that destroyed the SWC. hell even TX fans would kick one of their own out , BU, for a better market up north somewhere. the markets just don't exist...without adding to the geography....and where the hell is that coming from? Idaho? New Mexico? Arkansas?(maybe)

The big 12 needs to pull it together quick. If I was Dan Beebe I would be walking the halls at night

I know we don't have the number of TV sets but neither does the SEC. The Big 12 is a damned good product . they need to make it is a fair and equitable conference and go for more. The Big 10 is covered by TV's and they have the most revenue per conference, But the SEC has 4 markets in the top 40 markets and is second in revenue ($205M). Nobody will argue the SEC is football crazy.

Rank Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Households % of US (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp)

1 New York, NY 7,493,530 6.524

2 Los Angeles, CA 5,659,170 4.927

3 Chicago, IL 3,501,010 3.048

4 Philadelphia, PA 2,955,190 2.573

5 Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX 2,544,410 2.215

6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA 2,503,400 2.179

7 Boston, MA (Manchester, NH) 2,410,180 2.098

8 Atlanta, GA 2,387,520 2.079

9 Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) 2,335,040 2.033

10 Houston, TX 2,123,460 1.849

11 Detroit, MI 1,890,220 1.646

12 Phoenix, AZ 1,873,930 1.631

13 Seattle-Tacoma, WA 1,833,990 1.597

14 Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota), FL 1,805,810 1.572

15 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN 1,732,050 1.508

16 Denver, CO 1,539,380 1.340

17 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL 1,538,090 1.339

18 Cleveland-Akron (Canton), OH 1,520,750 1.324

19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL 1,455,620 1.267

20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA 1,404,580 1.223

21 St. Louis, MO 1,249,450 1.088

22 Portland, OR 1,188,770 1.035

23 Pittsburgh, PA 1,154,950 1.005

24 Charlotte, NC 1,147,910 1.000

25 Indianapolis, IN 1,119,760 0.975

26 Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville), NC 1,107,820 0.964

27 Baltimore, MD 1,093,170 0.952

28 San Diego, CA 1,073,390 0.934

29 Nashville, TN 1,019,010 0.888

30 Hartford and New Haven, CT 1,010,630 0.880

31 Salt Lake City, UT 944,060 0.822

32 Kansas City, MO 941,360 0.820

33 Cincinnati, OH 918,670 0.800

34 Columbus, OH 904,030 0.787

35 Milwaukee, WI 901,790 0.785

36 Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC-Anderson,SC 865,810 0.754

37 San Antonio, TX 830,000 0.723

38 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL 776,080 0.676

39 Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA 743,420 0.647

Television Revenue - got these numbers from a Texas website.

Big Ten (214,000,000)

Southeastern (205,000,000)

Big XII (79,500,000)

ACC (66,857,143)

Pac Ten (53,150,000)

Big East (40,000,000)

Mountain West (23,714,286)

CUSA (11,300,000)

Western Athletic (4,000,000)

Mid American (1,400,000)

Atlantic 10 (1,000,000)

Total Revenue

Big Ten (280,628,952)

Southeastern (272,116,806)

Big XII (139,306,532)

ACC (126,608,527)

Pac Ten (103,053,427)

Big East (93,149,910)

Mountain West (48,022,000)

CUSA (36,081,537)

Mid American (21,279,716)

Western Athletic (19,674,348)

Atlantic 10 (12,416,499)

Sun Belt (11,912,222)

Colonial (10,109,737)

Missouri Valley (9,756,408)

Horizon (6,219,609)

I think Texas is concerned and that is significant. We need to hold this together, make it more equitable and build the brand. I do not want to end up with a conference lacking 29M viewers(losing Texas and Missouri) more if more teams like CU leave.

I think the Big 12 is great. I think KC should have the Basketball, and the new Cowboy stadium the football. It is a great venue, and for Basketball, people in Texas are aweful, they should leave it in the North. As for NU< the split should be great. The North is way easier. Most of the top traditional powers are in the South, so Nebrasksa should in theory benefit from being the only real traditional power in the North. As for schools like Iowa State who take in a little lless money, thye are still getting proporationally more by a lot than they bring to the table. UT is subsidizing them in the end. I am from KC, hated to see the office move. THat said, the Big 8 kept all it's teams, we just got the best 4 from the SWC (and then combined those with one of the 2 top big 8 programs in football, making the South tougher as a result). I would say we are a GREAT conference. We probably have the best combo in the big 2 sports, which is where all the money and exposure is. We are in the title hunt in football every year, and the same can be said in basketball. All in, we are a great place to be. We could use some more strenght in the Big 12 North in football, so get on it. That is why you all are here.

(p.s. we need a better TV deal, though)

I think the Big 12 is great. I think KC should have the Basketball, and the new Cowboy stadium the football. It is a great venue, and for Basketball, people in Texas are aweful, they should leave it in the North. As for NU< the split should be great. The North is way easier. Most of the top traditional powers are in the South, so Nebrasksa should in theory benefit from being the only real traditional power in the North. As for schools like Iowa State who take in a little lless money, thye are still getting proporationally more by a lot than they bring to the table. UT is subsidizing them in the end. I am from KC, hated to see the office move. THat said, the Big 8 kept all it's teams, we just got the best 4 from the SWC (and then combined those with one of the 2 top big 8 programs in football, making the South tougher as a result). I would say we are a GREAT conference. We probably have the best combo in the big 2 sports, which is where all the money and exposure is. We are in the title hunt in football every year, and the same can be said in basketball. All in, we are a great place to be. We could use some more strenght in the Big 12 North in football, so get on it. That is why you all are here.

I agree with all except the part about NU living in an easy North conference. For years, we were in an easy Big 8(with the exception of OU) and I do not think it was good. for years we ate cake then got to the game against OU or a decent bowl and got beat. I like(no love) great competition in the North. It will make us that much better, get us a lot more TV time and better access to recruiting.

I like the part about playing the Big 12 BBall championship in KC. A bit self serving, but good enough!

I agree with all except the part about NU living in an easy North conference. For years, we were in an easy Big 8(with the exception of OU) and I do not think it was good. for years we ate cake then got to the game against OU or a decent bowl and got beat. I like(no love) great competition in the North. It will make us that much better, get us a lot more TV time and better access to recruiting.

I like the part about playing the Big 12 BBall championship in KC. A bit self serving, but good enough!

Yes kept getting beat by the number 1, 2 and sometimes 3rd ranked team those years was a disgrace. :sarcasm:rolleyes:

You stil have to play the south 3 times a year, though. I am just saying, you get a lot of exposure if you get ot a lot of title games...

Yes kept getting beat by the number 1, 2 and sometimes 3rd ranked team those years was a disgrace. :sarcasm:rolleyes:

The problem was when we didn't even look like we belonged on the same field with Miami or Florida State (or even Georgia Tech) in the late 80s/early 90s bowl games. Suddenly the power and option football we'd been ramming down the throats of the 7 dwarfs was meaningless when those teams would stack the line and we had no passer to keep them honest.