Returning starters

wow yet another fan writing off cody green. hes a true freshman in a complicated offense. let him adjust to the college game. you saw barkley struggle this year and clausen struggle tremendously his freshman year. if lee can come in and play the way he played against arizona, i'm all for him starting next year, but we don't have 3 weeks to prepare for each game.

i think ankrah has a great shot at starting over meredith also.

p.s. spano is an overly cocky joke of a QB. don't be surprised if he's the next pat witt. the team doesn't like him one bit

I like this discussion. I feel a little like a greedy kid gloating over my toys when I think of the pieces we have coming back next year. :)

I have no idea who will start at QB, but I think it's safe to say that we'll be better at that position next year than this year. Lee's injury changes dramatically how I feel about him and his performance this year. If the Lee we can expect more closely resembles the Lee of our first two games and the bowl game we'll be just fine with him at the helm. If Green beats Lee out, we'll be even better. Having a healthy Spano in the mix can't do anything but help us.

Chris Williams is no longer on the team...

He is still listed on the roster, and i have not seen a link or article saying he is no longer with the team. Just people on this board saying that he is no longer with the team.

My list is my projected starters and backups for 2010. Im probably 85% wrong on that list. I'm not writing off Cody Green, I think its going to be a very close race between Zac Lee and Cody Green, so it could go either way. I see LW being 3rd, and i really don't see Spano making an impact on the QB spot, neither do I see Martinez. I think 2011 will be Green's starting year (100%) and Martinex will back him up.

As for Thaddeus Randle, i know he plays DT, but i think they might line him up as DE, unless he packs on a few pounds. A 260lb DT can be speedy, yes, but i worry about his strength and ability to toss 280-330lb OL around. If you look at the other DT's on the team most of them are 285 and higher. I would like to see Randle in that weight range before i consider him for a DT spot.

But most of this is going off the idea that, defensively, we substitute a lot, especially on the line. I don't expect Ankrah to start, but I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of playing time and reps, same with Rome, Pensick, Randle, and maybe Guy.

I know our offensive line needs major help, with blocking, execution and penalties, but instead of starting true freshman Hardrick, Moudy or Rodriguez, I put my faith into our current O-line to better themselves during the offseason and come out next year with better results.

Chris Williams is no longer on the team...

He is still listed on the roster, and i have not seen a link or article saying he is no longer with the team. Just people on this board saying that he is no longer with the team.

My list is my projected starters and backups for 2010. Im probably 85% wrong on that list. I'm not writing off Cody Green, I think its going to be a very close race between Zac Lee and Cody Green, so it could go either way. I see LW being 3rd, and i really don't see Spano making an impact on the QB spot, neither do I see Martinez. I think 2011 will be Green's starting year (100%) and Martinex will back him up.

As for Thaddeus Randle, i know he plays DT, but i think they might line him up as DE, unless he packs on a few pounds. A 260lb DT can be speedy, yes, but i worry about his strength and ability to toss 280-330lb OL around. If you look at the other DT's on the team most of them are 285 and higher. I would like to see Randle in that weight range before i consider him for a DT spot.

But most of this is going off the idea that, defensively, we substitute a lot, especially on the line. I don't expect Ankrah to start, but I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of playing time and reps, same with Rome, Pensick, Randle, and maybe Guy.

I know our offensive line needs major help, with blocking, execution and penalties, but instead of starting true freshman Hardrick, Moudy or Rodriguez, I put my faith into our current O-line to better themselves during the offseason and come out next year with better results.

Here is an article verifying Williams is gone. HuskerExtra.com - Husker Linebacker Williams given scholarship release

Hardrick isn't a true freshman. He is a JUCO that will be a Jr. coming in, though he does still have a RS available. Expect him to start at LT immediately.

I think Randle is heavier than the 260lbs he is listed at on the roster, that was his weight when he entered the program. Look to see what he is listed at when the Spring Roster comes out, I know Carl Pelini loves him at DT.

Not going too far out on a limb:

1. Ankrah will start at DE

2. Green will start at QB

3. Hardrick will start at OL

4. David will start at MLB

* Does Hardrick's highlight video remind anyone of the movie "The Blind Side"? He just drives people backwards at a high rate of speed.

* Does Hardrick's highlight video remind anyone of the movie "The Blind Side"? He just drives people backwards at a high rate of speed.

1. If Pierre Allen doesn't regain his 2008 form then yes I could see Ankrah starting, regardless I think he gets a lot of PT.

2. I don't know, Green has so much ground to make up in the passing game to start. I am not sure a RS year for Cody isn't too far fetched. If Kody or Taylor M. can show that they are able to be a capable #1 or #2 and are as good as Cody, then I think those 2 and Zac fight it out for the starting nod and Cody gets a RS to develop some more.

3. I agree.

4. I agree that David gets either the MIKE or WILL, but I also think Martin and Compton will push for the other spot. Could see David and Martin at both spots.

Starting spots next year should look something like this.

QB - Zac Lee, Cody Green, Latravis Washingston

RB - Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead, Dontray Robinson

FB - Tyler Legate, Mike Hays

WR - Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie, Curenski Gilleylen, Khiry Cooper, Antonio Bell

TE - Mike McNeill, Kyler Reed, Ben Cotton, Dreu Young

OT- Ricky Henry, Mike Smith, Nick Ash, Marcel Jones

OG - Keith Williams, DJ Jones, Brent Qvale, Seung Hoon Choi

C - Mike Caputo, Quentin Toailoa

DE - Pierre Allen, Cameron Meredith, Jason Ankrah, Thaddeus Randle

DT - Jared Crick, Baker Steinkuhler, Terrence Moore, Chase Rome

OLB - Matthew May, Will Compton, Sean Fisher, Matt Holt, Chris Williams

MLB - Eric Martin, Graham Stoddard, Alonzo Whaley

CB - Prince Amukamara, Dejon Gomes, Alfonzo Dennard, Lance Thorell, Anthony West

S - PJ Smith, Eric Hagg, Rickey Thenarse, Austin Cassidy

K/P - Alex Henery

KO - Adi Kunalic

1. don't give the nod to lee just yet

2. i see bell becoming our #3 receiver

3. chase harper #2 TE (unless your only listing returning players)

4. ricky henry plays OG

5. hardrick starting at OT (same as #3)

6. randle plays DT

7. compton over may, add lavonte david to #1 MLB

I'll go ahead and give the job to Lee unless you're assuming that it's going to be Spano coming in and taking it from him.

I also think Ankrah will take the other starting DE position.. but we'll see.

wow yet another fan writing off cody green. hes a true freshman in a complicated offense. let him adjust to the college game. you saw barkley struggle this year and clausen struggle tremendously his freshman year. if lee can come in and play the way he played against arizona, i'm all for him starting next year, but we don't have 3 weeks to prepare for each game.

i think ankrah has a great shot at starting over meredith also.

p.s. spano is an overly cocky joke of a QB. don't be surprised if he's the next pat witt. the team doesn't like him one bit

um, ive met spano on numerous occasions through mutual friends and the guy is anything but an "overly cocky joke of a qb".

dont slander a guy when you have absolutely no idea.

1. If Pierre Allen doesn't regain his 2008 form then yes I could see Ankrah starting, regardless I think he gets a lot of PT.

2. I don't know, Green has so much ground to make up in the passing game to start. I am not sure a RS year for Cody isn't too far fetched. If Kody or Taylor M. can show that they are able to be a capable #1 or #2 and are as good as Cody, then I think those 2 and Zac fight it out for the starting nod and Cody gets a RS to develop some more.

3. I agree.

4. I agree that David gets either the MIKE or WILL, but I also think Martin and Compton will push for the other spot. Could see David and Martin at both spots.

1. Ankrah will very likely start, but not ahead of allen. he will start ahead of meredith....

2. Agreed, green should see a redshirt but he likely wont. however i wouldnt be surprised to see him listed as the #3 qb behind Lee and then spano.

3. hardick will probably start at right tackle. i dont think he is yet good enough to take over the left tackle spot...

4. Im not sure if David has a redshirt available or not but if he does....he needs it. i would say that it is very unlikely to see him starting as we have some other very good linebackers that will have another year in the system. i could see him in the two deep because williams left, but even that i think it doubtful if he has an available redshirt...

I'll give Lee the benefit of the doubt as far as his injury. I'm sure that had to effect him some. I'm thinking (more like hoping) that Lee is just one of those qb's who took a little longer to actually start truly feeling comfortable at the quarterback position in terms of live game experience as a starter.

Freshman or no I am just not impressed with Cody Green as a passer so far. He looks fine running the ball and I like how he was running through some guys in the Arizona game. He's a tough runner.

If Zac Lee can come back from his injury o.k. I see him as our starter next year and (this a big maybe here) he's finally gotten comfortable with being a starting quarterback and will finally play up to his potential with a solid years game experience under his belt and with no lingering injuries for him to deal with next season either.

Just speculation but I hope this is the case.

QB - Zac Lee, Cody Green, Latravis Washington

RB - Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead, Tray Robinson

FB - Tyler Legate, Tray Robinson

WR - Niles Paul, Curenski Gilleylen, Antonio Bell

WR - Brandon Kinnie, Khiry Cooper, Will Henry

TE - Mike McNeill, Chase Harper, Dreu Young, Ben Cotton

LT - Mike Smith, Jermarcus Hardrick, Mike Moudy

LG - Keith Williams, Brent Qvale

C - Mike Caputo, Quentin Toailoa, Cole Pensick (DT)

RG - Ricky Henry, Brandon Thompson

RT - Marcel Jones, DJ Jones, Andrew Rodriguez

*Red Cat- Taylor Martinez, Rex Burkhead

I'm thinking Zac Lee will put up better numbers next year. It would have been ideal for Green to redshirt last year. He looked very antsy whenever he was put in the game as there were false starts and he just didn't looked very composed. I wish he could redshirt next year but that won't happen. Roy and Rex will probably be 1A and 1AA like Roy and Lucky were a few years ago. Tray will play a lot still. I'm betting he'll play some FB again next year like he did against Texas. Niles should finish his career strong and Kinnie should build off of how he finished this season. I'm not sure what's gonna happen with the TE position but there is so much talent there. Hopefully the line plays better than last year. I can't wait to see what this year’s class can do up front. Hardrick, Moudy, and Rodriguez should all be big time difference makers in the near future. Moving Pensick to center would really help with our depth there. I don't think he has a legit shot at playing on the DL. Rex looked good running the Red Cat against Zona and Taylor would be an upgrade since he can also throw.

DE - Pierre Allen, Jason Ankrah

DE - Cameron Meredith, Josh Williams

DT - Jared Crick, Chase Rome, Thaddeus Randle

DT - Baker Steinkuhler, Terrence Moore

Diesel - Josh Williams, Jason Ankrah

Will - Lavonte David, Mathew May

Mike - Will Compton, Alonzo Whaley, Matt Holt

Buck - Sean Fisher, Eric Martin, Thomas Grove

CB - Prince Amukamara, Andrew Green, Lazarri Middleton

CB - Alfonzo Dennard, Anthony West, Anthony Blue

Nickel- Dejon Gomes, Dijon Washington

Dime - Lance Thorell, Anthony Blue

7B - Anthony West, Eric Hagg

SS - PJ Smith, Eric Hagg

FS - Rickey Thenarse, Austin Cassidy, Harvey Jackson

K & P - Alex Henery

The DLine won't be as good as last years but there will be a major improvement as far as depth. I'm not sure who Phil's replacement will be in the Dime but there are some pretty good options. Hopefully Compton can improve the way Dillard did this season. Lavonte could also be that guy but I haven't seen much from him yet. The secondary will be stacked again. PJ Smith will make a solid starter. Hopefully Rickey T is back and healthy next year.

I'm also excited to see what Eric Martin can do next season and am anxious to see if Jared Crick can get even better than he was this season. Scary thought huh?!! I also want to see if Baker Steinkuhler can even remotely resemble his brother on the d line and just like with Crick can Pierre Allen who I thought had a great season this year make his presence felt even more so next season.

Also will we continue using Rex Burkhead in the wildcat next season? (I would love if we did so) I hope we do so I really hope we can see more of this next year.

I think Burkhead's load and role is going to increase drastically next year and I am excited about this.

DE - Pierre Allen, Jason Ankrah

DE - Cameron Meredith, Josh Williams

DT - Jared Crick, Chase Rome, Thaddeus Randle

DT - Baker Steinkuhler, Terrence Moore

Diesel - Josh Williams, Jason Ankrah

Will - Lavonte David, Mathew May

Mike - Will Compton, Alonzo Whaley, Matt Holt

Buck - Sean Fisher, Eric Martin, Thomas Grove

CB - Prince Amukamara, Andrew Green, Lazarri Middleton

CB - Alfonzo Dennard, Anthony West, Anthony Blue

Nickel- Dejon Gomes, Dijon Washington

Dime - Lance Thorell, Anthony Blue

7B - Anthony West, Eric Hagg

SS - PJ Smith, Eric Hagg

FS - Rickey Thenarse, Austin Cassidy, Harvey Jackson

1. Eric Hagg will play FS ...IMO

2. You have Andrew Green as the back-up CB is Prince...which I agree...but then you dont have him as a nickel, dime or the 7th back position...if he is our 3/4 best corner don't you think he will be our Dime or 7th back...

this is what i think

CB- Dennard, Prince

S- Hagg, Smith

Nickel- Gomes

Dime- Blue-Green, West

7th- Whoever is behind the Dime back...

just my thoughts