Will we be able to keep Bo around?

illnino

This.

To be honest, I found this topic (because it has been started at other times) rather idiotic. It's not like this is Kansas or Iowa State. It's Nebraska. Five national championships. We are still one of the best coaching jobs in the nation.

Just look at Notre Dame. They have really been in a ditch the last few years, like we were, but they still have one of the best coaching jobs in the nation.

If you find this topic so idiotic, don't post. Simple as that. By the way, no one's questioning Nebraska's prestige.

Well, apparently your main concern is salary, and you must be under the impression that it is the only thing that would keep Bo around, according to your OP. The fact of the matter is, Bo will get what he earns and deserves.

Bo has said numerous times his main concern with money is that his assistants get paid and they get paid well. Bo is going to get the money he deserves when he earns it. So far, we have two nice bowl victories and a Big 12 North title. It's too early to be question Bo's tenure, especially considering his second year just wrapped up and he has been very successful here. I find this topic "idiotic" because, whether your or others who talk about it intend, it sounds that you are railing the program and our ability to keep a good coach.

And btw, you leave yourself open to opinions when you create a topic. Just because myself and others might find the topic idiotic, doesn't mean the opinion should fall on deaf ears. Consider that before the next time you question a dissenting ideal.

This.

To be honest, I found this topic (because it has been started at other times) rather idiotic. It's not like this is Kansas or Iowa State. It's Nebraska. Five national championships. We are still one of the best coaching jobs in the nation.

Just look at Notre Dame. They have really been in a ditch the last few years, like we were, but they still have one of the best coaching jobs in the nation.

If you find this topic so idiotic, don't post. Simple as that. By the way, no one's questioning Nebraska's prestige.

Well, apparently your main concern is salary, and you must be under the impression that it is the only thing that would keep Bo around, according to your OP. The fact of the matter is, Bo will get what he earns and deserves.

Bo has said numerous times his main concern with money is that his assistants get paid and they get paid well. Bo is going to get the money he deserves when he earns it. So far, we have two nice bowl victories and a Big 12 North title. It's too early to be question Bo's tenure, especially considering his second year just wrapped up and he has been very successful here. I find this topic "idiotic" because, whether your or others who talk about it intend, it sounds that you are railing the program and our ability to keep a good coach.

And btw, you leave yourself open to opinions when you create a topic. Just because myself and others might find the topic idiotic, doesn't mean the opinion should fall on deaf ears. Consider that before the next time you question a dissenting ideal.

Look, I'm not "railing the program" nor am I questioning Bo's loyalty to the program.I don't know the man personally, but he seems very happy here. Maybe I should have worded the question differently, and it may seem silly for some, but its been a while (for me anyway) since NU was on the rise again and simply wanted to know that money wouldn't be an issue. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I haven't visited this part of the site in a while. If we continue to ascend in future years as we have in the previous two, can NU afford to keep HC Pelini? Can we keep up with the Texas's, OU's,LSU's, Ohio St.'s, Alabama's of the college world as far as paying their coaches top dollar?

he's safe until tressel leaves. That won't be anytime soon.

IMO... IF they'd offer. He'd bail for Tosu in a heartbeat.

:thumbs

I have to think that for Bo to remain happy, some things will have to fall into place when TO retires. If it were me, I would want an AD who supports me all the way, and I would want almost complete autonomy in my running of the football program. I'm the football director, you're the cheerleader and fundraiser and director of everything else in athletics. This is assuming that, when that dark day comes, Bo has had great success and his football program is running as a well-oiled machine.

I would like to think that the longer he stays here and the more he is attached to the program, the less likely he would take the OSU job when it opens up -- hopefully many years from now. Bob Stoops has gotten very attached to the OU program. If Kirk Ferentz would leave Iowa, I don't see Stoops going there. :dunno

i know people disagree with this, but what is two million less when you are making 2-3 million already, it is not like you suffer a difference in lifestyle. however, coaches are enticed away with money, it must be an ego thing.

the only thing that worries me is OSU trying to nab him, hopefully the longer he stays, the more attached he becomes, after all he is re-establishing this program; or restoring the order, if you will. i got to believe it would be hard to leave something you are building/have built, especially for an established program that is doing fine.

when roy williams left, UNC was hurting and down, and that was his goal from the beginning, i believe, to get back to UNC.

Really? They were really hurting and down? What, it took him all of two years to win a championship? There were 3 McDonalds All American already on the team before he took over. He also turned them down the first time they came a calling. It was because of a poor relationship with the AD that Williams left, plus there was that little NCAA investigation thingy going on at KU.

Yes, really. Now they have 9 McDonald's All Americans. 3 in the upper tier of CBB is nothing. Most of them, like 5 star FB guys, flame out. UNC not making the NCAA tournament and having a losing record?? That is way down. Tar Heels expect to make the tournament every year. If that doesn't happen, and you don't have a banner in the rafters, you are gone. End of story.

The ACC is fantastic in basketball because of North Carolina and everyone trying to catch them in the 70s.

When that wasn't happening anymore, they went after Roy, twice. He bleeds Carolina basketball and was a coaching legend there. He was to be Dean's hand picked successor given the keys to the program but he didn't want to wait. He didn't leave KU the first time because he had a hell of a team at KU and wanted a shot at the NC. They lost, kids were leaving, he went to UNC to rebuild his school for his dream job.

The Bo to tOSU thing may come true, but I don't see them needing a coach for quite some time. The win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl should quiet the talk about the sweater vest for some time.

i know people disagree with this, but what is two million less when you are making 2-3 million already, it is not like you suffer a difference in lifestyle. however, coaches are enticed away with money, it must be an ego thing.

the only thing that worries me is OSU trying to nab him, hopefully the longer he stays, the more attached he becomes, after all he is re-establishing this program; or restoring the order, if you will. i got to believe it would be hard to leave something you are building/have built, especially for an established program that is doing fine.

when roy williams left, UNC was hurting and down, and that was his goal from the beginning, i believe, to get back to UNC.

Really? They were really hurting and down? What, it took him all of two years to win a championship? There were 3 McDonalds All American already on the team before he took over. He also turned them down the first time they came a calling. It was because of a poor relationship with the AD that Williams left, plus there was that little NCAA investigation thingy going on at KU.

Yes, really. Now they have 9 McDonald's All Americans. 3 in the upper tier of CBB is nothing. Most of them, like 5 star FB guys, flame out. UNC not making the NCAA tournament and having a losing record?? That is way down. Tar Heels expect to make the tournament every year. If that doesn't happen, and you don't have a banner in the rafters, you are gone. End of story.

The ACC is fantastic in basketball because of North Carolina and everyone trying to catch them in the 70s.

When that wasn't happening anymore, they went after Roy, twice. He bleeds Carolina basketball and was a coaching legend there. He was to be Dean's hand picked successor given the keys to the program but he didn't want to wait. He didn't leave KU the first time because he had a hell of a team at KU and wanted a shot at the NC. They lost, kids were leaving, he went to UNC to rebuild his school for his dream job.

The Bo to tOSU thing may come true, but I don't see them needing a coach for quite some time. The win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl should quiet the talk about the sweater vest for some time.

thank you, i knew UNC was way down before Roy got there, they had a bad coach and some talent. i did not have the energy to dig up stats.

my point was, that it is probably more appealing to leave for a powerhouse that is down, they are easier to rebuild, and it is something worth doing, rather than leaving something you built to continue something someone else built.

thank you, i knew UNC was way down before Roy got there, they had a bad coach and some talent. i did not have the energy to dig up stats.

my point was, that it is probably more appealing to leave for a powerhouse that is down, they are easier to rebuild, and it is something worth doing, rather than leaving something you built to continue something someone else built.

I agree, part of the appeal Bo had for Nebraska maybe?

I agree, part of the appeal Bo had for Nebraska maybe?

definitely, that is why i was somewhat surprised Urban did not go to ND, to bring back ND to any semblance of prominence would be legendary and greater than however many MNC's he could have won and Florida, maybe he did not take it because of health concerns. another theory would be that he will take a year off and then go to Dallas.

also, how long did it take Stoops, Carrol, Meyer, and even Tressel (and so on and so forth) to win championships when they got to the programs that were down.

It is awfully presumptuous of us to think that when Sweater Vest leaves THE OSU that they'll come knocking on Bo's door. They have a lot of coaches to choose from just from amongst the Pelini and Stoops clans, not to mention Tressel's past staff. Bo is just one of over a dozen names they could look at, and at the moment his resume pales in comparison to some of the other candidates.

It is awfully presumptuous of us to think that when Sweater Vest leaves THE OSU that they'll come knocking on Bo's door. They have a lot of coaches to choose from just from amongst the Pelini and Stoops clans, not to mention Tressel's past staff. Bo is just one of over a dozen names they could look at, and at the moment his resume pales in comparison to some of the other candidates.

i had the same thought, there must be a ton of quality coaches wishing to get back to OSU, i mean Alvarez would have left anywhere to coach at NU and never go his chance; but i think many of us see OSU as the greatest (maybe even only) threat. i wonder if bo would have any interest in the nfl, although i have never understood the allure of the nfl. (i know people will say greater fame/prestige and money, but ncaa has its counterpoints.)

Why? I believe that Bo is the only of those to play at tOSU. Stoops was at Iowa.