Can the clock even be reviewed?

Updated: January 5, 2010, 8:21 PM ET

NFL implements rule for playoffsComment Email Print Share By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Archive

Before the playoffs kick off this weekend, the NFL implemented a temporary rule change that will prevent an instant replay of what happened earlier this season in the New York Giants-Philadelphia Eagles game.

From now on, time remaining on the game clock will be reviewable but will be limited to situations in which time is deemed to have expired or not expired prior to, during or after the last play of the first or second half, or of an overtime half, according to a memo that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent to the 32 teams.

The rule adjustment goes back to the Dec. 13 Giants-Eagles game. Just before halftime, Giants kick returner Domenik Hixon fumbled the football and Eagles linebacker Moise Fokou recovered, but the clock seemingly ran out. Replay evidence suggested there still was at least a second remaining, but replay rules did not permit the play to be reviewed.

As Goodell wrote in the memo: "At the conclusion of the first half, time will not be restored if the additional play would be a kickoff, but would be restored if a timing error takes away a significant opportunity for the offensive team to score. At the conclusion of the second half or an overtime half, time shall be restored to the game clock if:

(a) It is a one-score game (eight points or less); and

(B) The additional play would be a kickoff by either team or a snap from scrimmage by the team that is behind in the score. The game would not be extended to create an additional play by the team that is ahead.

For a review, the official time on the game clock will be superimposed on the video replay."

This adjustment will be in effect only through the conclusion of 2009 postseason games; the Competition Committee will review it this offseason and make a recommendation about whether it should be kept or abolished for future seasons.

Nice to see some clarification from the NFL, now here's hoping that College people do the same thing.

Just what we need in college football: More reviews. :sarcasm

If you saw the Cotton Bowl this year, you know what I mean. I swear that game took 5 hours to complete with every third play having to be reviewed. Lots of other college games have done that this year, although so far the BCS games have not been that bad. It's going to get to the point where after every play we are going to have wait 5 minutes to review every aspect of the play and make sure the precision is to the exact millimeter of where the ball should be.

They deserved to get that play.

Except for the fact the most of us are in agreement, that the clock shown on TV was NOT the official game clock but something else (scoreboard one maybe?). Many at the game said the OFFICIAL clock on the field counted to ZERO before the ball hit the ground. So, we will never know if they really deserved that extra play or not, the whole thing is still VERY fishy.

I suppose if clock really ran out, that would change things. I don't know though - the play clearly did not take say, 7 seconds. I've heard the suggestion that time ran slow on those last 7 seconds, but I'm not going to put credence to that until I see something more than what I have. It could be that the time shown on the screen when the play started wasn't synced to the official clock...but then, how do you see the official clock?

Hard call. I'm not inclined to buy into any conspiracy theories though so I lean to the assumption that the clock was right. If we had won that game after the botched kickoff and the Shipley completion + horsecollar, it would have been a real steal though...those things lost the game at the end more than any official decision.

And I agree: Nebraska earned itself a fantastic trip to beautiful San Diego and came out of there with a complete lambasting of a supposedly strong Pac-10 team. I'll take it! Was there any better way to be heading into next season? Even getting to the Fiesta Bowl and making some noise, I don't know. I'll take this. This was about as good a result as we could possibly ask for, in terms of springboarding us into next year.

Nothing we can do about it now.

Lets move on and get payback in Lincoln in 2010.

You're saying this to a fan base who is still bitter about the 1982 Penn State game.

Ya, but let me help you out. I have been a Minnesota fan(every sport i root for) last time we won anything...1991 with the Twins.

I didnt become a Husker fan till 2007 but i can tell you i already know this is better then being a Minnesota fan because i feel Nebraska isnt ok with just being good, you guys want to be GREAT!