For what its worth, Callahan story in the NY Times

My opinion is that the people who are "defending" Callahan are the typical very nice Nebraska fans that we all know and love. We're a state full of nice people, and nice fans, and we have a hard time really talking ill of a person. To many it seems overly harsh to criticize the guy, so they "put the best construction on everything" surrounding him and his time here.

I can dig that. I think it's admirable. Maybe I'm just not a big enough person to do that, or maybe I'm just too wrapped up in my brand of fandom to emulate them.

I don't have any animosity towards anyone defending Callahan, but I will be realistic about who and what he was to this program.

One great thing I'll say about Callahan that I continue to appreciate is the Breast Cancer fundraising he did with Football 101. I don't know if he is the coach who made 101 a fundraiser, but I do know that it was under his regime, and Bo continues it today. I find that very admirable about Callahan.

I agree with everything you said as well. Even at times when the "ship was sinking" he approached those problems with an arrogance. Almost like his plan was going to work regardless of what the media, fans, or administration thought. Especially when he takes pot shots at the media and fans saying that the midwest in general is a bunch of rednecks, it was obvious he was not going to fit around here. I never got the feeling that he would be here long.

Bill Callahan Allegedly Referred to Tom Osborne as a "Crusty, Old F***"

"If anything, I wish he'd speak up more," Pelini said. "He really handles it in such a professional manner . . ."

Pelini's voiced trailed off a bit . . .

"I hate to say this," he said. "Sometimes he talks to me the way my father used to talk to me. He's extremely supportive. But he's willing to give his opinion and be really black and white and say, 'Hey, I think this is something you need to fix,' or, 'I like the way you did this.'

"That's a great thing to have."

the prosecution rests.

My opinion is that the people who are "defending" Callahan are the typical very nice Nebraska fans that we all know and love. We're a state full of nice people, and nice fans, and we have a hard time really talking ill of a person. To many it seems overly harsh to criticize the guy, so they "put the best construction on everything" surrounding him and his time here.

I can dig that. I think it's admirable. Maybe I'm just not a big enough person to do that, or maybe I'm just too wrapped up in my brand of fandom to emulate them.

I don't have any animosity towards anyone defending Callahan, but I will be realistic about who and what he was to this program.

One great thing I'll say about Callahan that I continue to appreciate is the Breast Cancer fundraising he did with Football 101. I don't know if he is the coach who made 101 a fundraiser, but I do know that it was under his regime, and Bo continues it today. I find that very admirable about Callahan.

How very admirable of yourself, knapplc...this is starting to sound like a group therapy session. Geesh. I dont get the Callahan defense either. My grandma is the epitome of the classy, nice Nebraska fan and attends most home games with my grandpa...however, I can count on one hand the times Ive heard her swear, and one of those was in reference to colorfully questioning Callahan's intelligence and breeding stock in the same breathe.

How very admirable of yourself, knapplc...this is starting to sound like a group therapy session. Geesh.

I'm sorry if that bothers you. I have a significant family history with breast cancer, so it's a pretty big deal to me.

First off, Callahan did not WANT to be here. He was in the coaching toilet after the Oakland situation. He was not Pederson's first pick either or second. But when he took to job he had this mindset, and this is something I've bevieved since day one. "I'll take this job at this perenial powerhouse who is now struggling a bit, I'll completely revamp the offense, bring in top notch recruits, win a title and get it turned back around and then I'll be sure to get another NFL head job again, no problem, what an easier place to win football games than at Nebraska."

pederson and cosgrove were the problem...callahan would have kept his job here IF he would have fired Cosgrove. but things have changed for the better.

They were certainly part of the problem, but they were not the only problem. Again, we simply cannot absolve Callahan of his actions here.

All three guys did good things here. The Fan Experience was Pederson's idea. Cosgrove was (from what I hear) a decent member of the community. Callahan did the breast cancer fundraising. I'm sure there are lots more examples of which I'm not aware. I know for a fact that there were several sports at NU that were unhappy to see Pederson go; no matter what he allowed to happen at Memorial Stadium, he did many positive things for many of our other programs.

BC was a good man. A fantastic offensive mind, and obviously a great Oline coach.

He was not Nebraska. He came after Frank who many felt was screwed. He never really got the whole state behind him.

He was loyal to a fault, hard working a good recruiter (not great). He kept us out of trouble, improved the academic level and never caused a scandle.

I personally like the man, and I wish him well in all that he does.

He tried to do the job, he failed as many do. There is no reason to hate him.

Time to move on, too much hatred in the world.

How very admirable of yourself, knapplc...this is starting to sound like a group therapy session. Geesh.

I'm sorry if that bothers you. I have a significant family history with breast cancer, so it's a pretty big deal to me.

Whoa buddy...Totally not my intent...I simply meant that I myself am incapable of finding anything to compliment the man on let alone saying it out loud. My intent was to give you props. The group therapy was in reference to everyone seeming to need to find some good out of the horror that was the Callahan era. I like boobies just as much as the next guy.

Whoa buddy...Totally not my intent...I simply meant that I myself am incapable of finding anything to compliment the man on let alone saying it out loud. My intent was to give you props. The group therapy was in reference to everyone seeming to need to find some good out of the horror that was the Callahan era. I like boobies just as much as the next guy.

Ahh, then I misunderstood. No worries. :thumbs

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

Are you joking? :facepalm:

The 2004 season was "more" than enough to show what a totally inept HC he was. NU's first losing season in 40 years, first bowl-less season in over 30 years, biggest loss in the HISTORY of NU.....my God, what a disaster that man was for us. He simply has zero flexibility for any scenario.

He was fired for the Raiders quitting on him and then NU did too. He was simply an NFL reject but the only thing Pedey could find as any "real" cfb HC saw how badly Pedey screwed over Frank/Bo and wouldn't consider the NU HC position for all the tea in China.

I hope I never live long enough to see another NU team play to not get blown out (USC). Good riddance Pedey/Cally.

2004 was a transitional year when we revamped our entire offense. And what happened after that? We pulled in a very solid recruiting class, went 8-4, upset Michigan, went 9-5 and played in the CCG and then in a Jan. 1 bowl.

So I suppose all the other quality guys Al Davis ran out also had it coming?

knapplc, I respect your point of view and maybe I am one of those too optimistic guys. But I just can't really bring myself to hate BC. I never support coach firings, didn't like it when Solich got fired, but came around to BC. And didn't like it when he got fired. I've enjoyed cheering for both of these coaches and take it as a "things didn't work out, no need to hate" sort of thing. But, I'm sure you have your reasons as well, and that's fine.

First off, Callahan did not WANT to be here. He was in the coaching toilet after the Oakland situation. He was not Pederson's first pick either or second. But when he took to job he had this mindset, and this is something I've bevieved since day one. "I'll take this job at this perenial powerhouse who is now struggling a bit, I'll completely revamp the offense, bring in top notch recruits, win a title and get it turned back around and then I'll be sure to get another NFL head job again, no problem, what an easier place to win football games than at Nebraska."

You obviously forget how Callahan called Nebraska a destination job and how he wanted to finish out his career here.

BC was a good man. A fantastic offensive mind, and obviously a great Oline coach.

He was not Nebraska. He came after Frank who many felt was screwed. He never really got the whole state behind him.

He was loyal to a fault, hard working a good recruiter (not great). He kept us out of trouble, improved the academic level and never caused a scandal.

It wouldn't have mattered who was hired after Solich was fired, there would have been a fracture in the fan base because of Solich's firing. No one was going to get a fair shot from the entire fan base.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

*Edit* Well, Turner Gill probably would have gotten a fair shot from the full fan base.

You obviously forget how Callahan called Nebraska a destination job and how he wanted to finish out his career here.

That is what he said. His actions portrayed an entirely different opinion of the Huskers.

He was loyal to a fault, hard working a good recruiter (not great). He kept us out of trouble, improved the academic level and never caused a scandal.

It wouldn't have mattered who was hired after Solich was fired, there would have been a fracture in the fan base because of Solich's firing. No one was going to get a fair shot from the entire fan base.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

*Edit* Well, Turner Gill probably would have gotten a fair shot from the full fan base.

Again, I have to interject here. It wasn't the fans' fault that Callahan shut out former players and coaches.

It wasn't the fans' fault that Callahan trod so carelessly over our most hallowed traditions.

It wasn't the fans' fault that he made gaffe after gaffe after gaffe.

Was he given an entirely fair chance here? Absolutely not. And I would never claim he was.

However, Callahan's "chances" here were only a little bit worse than Bo's chances here. Bo walked into this place with more than a few fans here unhappy with his hire, whether they liked Callahan or Gill or another coach. Bo had to win those folks over and he did so through hard work, doing things "the Nebraska way," which is similar enough to "the way" of several other places, including (apparently) Youngstown, OH and Ohio State, that he fit in well here.

Through hard work, straight talk and success Bo has won over most of those who gave him short shrift when he arrived. Some still don't buy into his spiel, and that's OK, but many more do than bought into Callahan.