Three Game Series with Boise State

bbeerma2

I'm sure Boise has said no because they don't want to come to Lincoln twice. Don't blame them, either. Boise is a big-time program.

and we are, too. I could see a compromise and do a 1 and 1, and if they don't jump at that then they should put skirts on.

I'm sure BSU would be very interested in a one and one . . . but if there history is any indication they would also still demand a large cash pay-out.

Thats fine just as long as we beat them. It would suck to have to pay them to beat us.

Large Payments? Why does it hurt us to give them 1.5 million? Just roughly 85,000 people x $55 = 4,675,000

We can't pay them that?? give me a f'ing break, give them the money. They are a legit program and it would be well worth the show.

And yes our non-conference is bullsh#t, and anyone on here who defends it is lieing to themselves. I understand it still has a lot to do with Pederson, but damn, what a rip off to us.

I'll defend it. I think the strategy has been to schedule one marquee opponent (see USC or VaTech), one mid-tier opponent, and two cupcakes. It hasn't worked that way each year but I think that is the general strategy. EVERY elite team does it. Check out Texas (La-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP, UCF) and Alabama's (VaTech, FIU, North Texas, Chattanooga) non-conference schedules. Those schedules were strong enough for those teams to play in the national title game.

I'll admit from a purely game to game standpoint it would be more entertaining to watch marguee schools in the non-conference schedule. However, from a program standpoint our current scheduling is the best option.

(Your comment about paying out 1.5 million dollars doesn't even deserve a response. Boise thinks they are a big time program. Time to start acting like it.)

It doesn't deserve a response?? Nice one. Good job. Way to debate. How much does Nebraska ask for on the road games? You're a f'ing idiot. Boise thinks they are a Big time program? Time to start acting like it? Yes they act like it and ask for more money. They have expenses too and IMO 1.5 doesn't sound that much at all in relativity to the entire income of the day.

All the "elite" teams are doing it?? Who gives a sh#t what they are doing, We are Nebraska, not EVERY elite team in the country. as a Husker fan I want to watch some good football, not watch us stop some sh#t hole school and watch 85000 people shuffle into Memorial Stadium and get ripped off 3/4 games in a row. What a joke. If it continues I hope Husker Fans smart up and stop showing up.

Large Payments? Why does it hurt us to give them 1.5 million? Just roughly 85,000 people x $55 = 4,675,000

We can't pay them that?? give me a f'ing break, give them the money. They are a legit program and it would be well worth the show.

And yes our non-conference is bullsh#t, and anyone on here who defends it is lieing to themselves. I understand it still has a lot to do with Pederson, but damn, what a rip off to us.

I'll defend it. I think the strategy has been to schedule one marquee opponent (see USC or VaTech), one mid-tier opponent, and two cupcakes. It hasn't worked that way each year but I think that is the general strategy. EVERY elite team does it. Check out Texas (La-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP, UCF) and Alabama's (VaTech, FIU, North Texas, Chattanooga) non-conference schedules. Those schedules were strong enough for those teams to play in the national title game.

I'll admit from a purely game to game standpoint it would be more entertaining to watch marguee schools in the non-conference schedule. However, from a program standpoint our current scheduling is the best option.

(Your comment about paying out 1.5 million dollars doesn't even deserve a response. Boise thinks they are a big time program. Time to start acting like it.)

It doesn't deserve a response?? Nice one. Good job. Way to debate. How much does Nebraska ask for on the road games? You're a f'ing idiot. Boise thinks they are a Big time program? Time to start acting like it? Yes they act like it and ask for more money. They have expenses too and IMO 1.5 doesn't sound that much at all in relativity to the entire income of the day.

All the "elite" teams are doing it?? Who gives a sh#t what they are doing, We are Nebraska, not EVERY elite team in the country. as a Husker fan I want to watch some good football, not watch us stop some sh#t hole school and watch 85000 people shuffle into Memorial Stadium and get ripped off 3/4 games in a row. What a joke. If it continues I hope Husker Fans smart up and stop showing up.

Hmmm. Complaining about my debating skills while hurling personal insults and cursing. You aren't well educated, are you?

Nebraska does NOT charge $1.5 million dollars for a home and home series. In fact, I believe between BCS teams in the non-conference money doesn't usually change hands. A home and home is just that . . . a home and home. No payout.

Also, just for your information, although total ticket sales might equal $4 million dollars that is not "entire income." That money goes to operating costs, salaries, game day costs, etc. The athletic department's job is to win and to earn as much money as possible while doing it. Paying a lower tier school millions of dollars for a home and home is hardly business savvy.

Anyways. I'd imagine your post (and maybe your account) won't last overly long if you continue like this. I certainly hope you can "smart up," as you so eloquently put it.

(Finally, if you are interested in actual facts and not just ranting I'd recommend this article. http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/fans-funds-factor-into-scheduling-non-conference-games-1.1933821 If you read it you will discover that BCS teams who arrange home and homes do NOT get paid to play. Like I said, if Boise wants to be taken seriously they should follow suit.)

Warning level changed. Do not call names.

that is a very tough back to back...you know i think part of it is big name school being scared to schedule Boise State...i mean even look at Nebraska...for example Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, Louisiana Lafayette...for real? i mean if you want a cake walk first game of the year i get that but lets grow some balls here and schedule a Minnesota, Iowa, Boise State on a yearly basis

Its a lose lose situatution when you play a team like Boise State. If you win you were suppose to; if you lose then you are the worst team in CFB.

It would be worse if we played Iowa or Minnesnota...Or just about any Big Televen teams.

And the major bennefit that nobody seems to be seeing:

We get the chance to beat someone that otherwise might go unscathed into the MNC game.

(Taking matters into our own hands) :hellloooo

Boise is trying to play both sides of the fence here. First, they want only a home and home because they think they are a big boy program and deserve a home game without having a 2 for 1 deal. Then, they want a huge payout because they are still a little school and historically the big schools pay big money for a guaranteed win against a small school. They need to realize that's not going to fly with everyone. If they want to be a big school, then a home and home with no payout. If they want to be a little school, then a 2 for 1 with some monetary incentive. I honestly wouldn't mind playing them, except all the games would probably have to be on Thursday night.

Who cares about Boise St? So, they routinely beat up a bunch of teams that stink, relative to big-time college football teams anyway, and have pulled off a couple of nice wins. They don't get great players up there and are a coaching change away from sucking eggs big-time. That's the truth. There are 25 other teams that would be as attractive on our schedule. It's like everyone must be excited about playing on a blue field. If they don't want to play us under our proposal, then find someone else. It's just Boise St! We're acting like they are some sort of football royalty.

That is Miami of Florida scheduled for 2015, correct? Wow how Tom's scheduling philosopy has changed

you couldn't be more wrong.

Care to expand?

I think he is referring to the fact that Tom Osborne, even as a coach, pushed for games with big time schools. Tom's philosophy has never changed. Our schedules from the 80s and 90s are filled with UCLA, South Carolina, Arizona State, Penn State, Auburn, Michigan St., ect, on and on. People keep acting like our scheduling now is so different than before. Its not. Its strikingly similar. You can interchange this proposed Boise State series with what Bobby Bowden did with Nebraska (and other schools...Florida State did it better, IMO, than Boise State is) in the 80's. Pederson's evil handiwork is the exception, not the rule.